URGENT! .NET Framework/Autocad won't install

dalegtr18

Hi folks. I'm in a real bind. Long story short, it seems that after installing a few of the latest Windows Critical updates on an XP pc (NOT SP2, mind you, but some of the other updates- sorry don't have which ones handy), I was told the pc began acting a bit flaky and that Autocad wasn't working right. I tried to undo my work by doing a system restore but this only compounded the problems. As best as I can tell, I have two problems now. I am getting Fatal Execution Engine Errors that seem to point to .NET Framework being corrupted, possibly by doing the restore. I have tried manually uninstalling .NET Framework but still get a message that says it can't be installed. I found another article on how to remove it completely, along with msizap.exe. I will attempt this and pray that it works.Secondly, I cannot install Autocad LT 2005 since this happened. Sometimes I could install it and it would almost open fine but then would hang and the screen would turn white. I am guessing that the .NET framework troubles play into this. I went thru Autodesk's info on completely removed Autocad but now the install tells me it needs to reboot to finish the install and when the pc reboots it says it can't continue!I have a very frustrated client that wants a working pc by Monday morning. On top of it, their internet connection is down so I can't do any online research while I am there and have to come home do so (my notes are currently back at the office so I don't have the exact round of error messages, tho they were relatively benign and simply said to the effect "This product can't be installed." I will post back the exact errors when I come back this afternoon.

OK, an updpate. Got .NET Framework to finally install. I had to download MSICCU.exe to do a clean sweep of the Installer. No associated errors have popped up as of yet. Autocad LT seems to have installed cleanly but will have to register it online after the internet connection comes back. Hopefully, all is well. Does a corrupt .NET Framework affect other programs?

Good to hear you have made progress on your problem.Who's decision, may I ask, was it to install "a few of the latest Windows Critical updates" and why were their so many? ;)

Thanks for responding, Ed. Well, in all truth, it was my decision to add the critical updates. I'm kind of a hawk on these. There were 7 critical updates installed, tho I'm not cretain which ones they were right now. I'd have to look at the log. I'm not sure if they were the cause of the problems or not but I was told AutoCad crashed, did not do an autosave and this person lost three days of work. I feel badly but, again, am uncertain what the initial cause of the problems were. I did research on AutoCad and Critical updates (specifically looking for info on SP2) but the only current issue I found was regarding FTP file transfers on remote pcs. (SP2 is still in the queue- this person does not want it installed). My biggest error was trusting system restore, which only seemed to compound the problem. The errors that came up afterward were related to .NET Framework. I found one site that mentioned doing a system restore can corrupt it. Now that .NET Framework has been resintalled and no errors are coming up, I am hoping that Autocad LT 2005 will run correctly and that this person has no other issues with there pc. I get the feeling that anything that goes wrong with the pc will henceforth be attributable to me, which is a bit uncomfortable.

My biggest error was trusting system restore
System Restore is good but IMO only when going back 1 or 2 points, anything further back is useless, which is why I shave my space allocated to it to only 400MB.I understand your need to keep the systems current and I understand the client's need to need their systems functional. But the client in this case was foolish to not save their work over the course of 3 days and/or not save it with different names to prevent a loss of their efforts. I can relate to their frustration but they are partly at fault. Hopefully they will have learned from the experience.For your position, you need to do backups. I recommend an external USB 2.0 hard drive. Before upgrading someone's machine; shut it down, that insures all apps are closed => files are saved, reboot, create a System Restore point, take an image of the c: drive to the external drive, then do your maintenance. If it works you're done. If not, restore to the System Restore point. If that doesn't resolve the problem/s completely restore from the image and move on till you have a solution to the problem.Client's should accept the extra time the backup will take rather than rise a repeat of the experience your current client just had. That experience can also be used to justify to management to buy one, or more, external hard drives. :w00t: You also need to start working on how SP2 is going to impact these clients. With the external hard drive/s and imaging, the experience will be a lot less stressful for all involved.

Thanks for the good advice and tips on system restore, Ed. The woman who lost work said was counting on an autosave function in Autocad, which apparently stopped working- an honest mistake to make. And you're absolutely right about doing a backup with an external hard drive! The thought occurred to me at some point, tho I don't have one (yet, that is- it just makes too much sense not to have one to do backups with). Of course, like I said I trusted system restore to cover my butt and certainly didn't anticipate any problems from installing the seven critical updates but as the saying goes- live and learn! I checked on them today and the install I did over the weekend of Net Framework and Autocad LT 2005 seemed to do the trick. They wanted to be functional by Monday morning and so they were. Thanks again!Dale

Glad to hear you were able to get the system problems resolved over the weekend. We like happy endings. :harhar: You might check back with the woman who lost the work and verify that her AutoCAD update has autosave on and at a resonable frequency, maybe every 2 hours, so she doesn't experience the problem in the future. And bring her a candy cane as a peace offering. It will lighten the moment and smooth over any hard feelings. :harhar: