Help Needed Installing Linux

Alejandro

I originaly posted this on http//:mypcclinic.com, and BrianT Suggested I posted here when he sent me Kanoppix and Mandrake distros.So hee we go,==================================================OK I have tred booting from my CDR and i get this message:couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)NTLDR: couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)(word for word the same message)If I am not mistaking, that is dealing with some og the boot.ini commandsHere is my recent boot.ini[boot loader]timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetectC:\="Microsoft Windows"Why this this occur. on my BIOS I DO NOT get the option that of booting from CDR. BUT when the computer is booting up it checks the floppy and then if a CDR is in the CD Drive then it will attemp to read it. What is wrong?=================================================================I have also tried the Boot from floppy option and I can copy the files with no problems and all BUT when it comes time to boot I get trouble.It picks up the Floppy and I get the following messageSYSLINUX 1.67 Mandrake Linux Copyright © 1994-2001 H. Peter Avinand it just sits there for a long time with out doing anything. Tha max time I have let it sit there was 3 minutes or so.Why does it do this?+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Kanoppix was about the only thing tht successfully ran, but I couldnt get that to boot rom the CDR either, I had to make a boot disk.--booted from disk--typed in 'expert' as the command (after checking the f2 help file)--and ran Kanoppix after all the checking and scanning.--IT DIDNT PICK UP MY MODEMBUT the modem has drivers for Linux OS on some site Brian Recommended. modem is a rockwell soft56k PCI modemAny help will be GREATLY appreaciated!

Hi AlexWelcome to the forum !!As for your questions: let us start at the end, the modem drivers for your win-modem . . . you will have to install those after your Linux install . . the problem is that Knoppix runs from CD and you can not install the modem-drivers on the CD. The only option there is to do a Knoppix HD install and then install the drivers and get online after.Your boot from CD problems are rare but they do happen . . . upgrading ( temporary, loan one from somebody for the install ) your CD-ROM drive might help. A real pain is that you can not change the BIOS though.About the boot.ini . . that is Windows, and I am no good in Windows . . so somebody else has to step in there.B) Bruno

Bruno, Thanks for the welcom, Brian was right you guys are fast at getting back to one.Well I am not sure it is the CD drive because I have tried 3 different cdr drives.What I am wondering is why it will not boot from the floppy disk.I did everthing the instructions said. B) Now i know kanoppix runs from the CD and not the HD which is ok b/c i just wanted to test it :)Any more advice?

If you like Knoppix: Do a Knoppix HD install . . . once it is running from CD there is one simple command and it will install to HD . . B) . . . then get the drivers and get online :DThis is the command ( you have to open a "Terminal" something like a dos-window . . you will find it in the menu ):

sudo knoppix-installer

Only for Knoppix 3.3 and later ! We will have to add Windows back to the new Linux boot menu when you are done, but that is easy :DB) BrunoMore info on Knoppix HD install: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqInstallhttp://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdInstallHowTo

Alex . . PART 2Now for Mandrake . . . from what I understand you put in the floppy and the CD . . it picks up the floppy and that directs it to the CD ? You get a "prompt" first ?? . . does F1 give you any boot options, or a way to type in a "cheatcode" ??B) Bruno

Bruno, this is what i get after putting the floppy inSYSLINUX 1.67 Mandrake Linux Copyright © 1994-2001 H. Peter Avinand it just sits there
Alex . . are you sure the floppy has all the files needed on it ?? And did you use rawwrite in Windows to make it ??:angry2: Bruno

Well, Sonic if so . . he should not even get at that point . . . the CD has to boot without any Win file loaded . .
Ahh, true.
SYSLINUX 1.67 Mandrake Linux Copyright © 1994-2001 H. Peter Avin
Isn't 2001 a little old? Which version of mandrake are you using?

From Mandrake:

Creating a Floppy Boot Disk If your system cannot boot from the CD-ROM you will need to create a floppy boot disk. The CD-ROM contains all of the image files and utility programs needed to do so. The floppy boot disk images are in the CD-ROM's images/ directory. Following is a list of different images and their respective installation methods: cdrom.img     To install from a local IDE or SCSI CD-ROM drive. This image must be used in cases where you cannot boot your computer directly from the CD-ROM. network.img     To install from an NFS, FTP, HTTP repository on your local LAN or via a PPPoE (DSL line) network connection. The network configuration of the machine on which you wish to install may be manual or automatic. pcmcia.img     Use this image if the installation medium is reached through a PCMCIA card (network, CD-ROM, etc.).     Note     Some PCMCIA devices now use common network drivers. If the PCMCIA device does not work, try again with network.img. hd.img     Use this image if you want to perform the installation from a hard disk. You need to copy the contents of the CD onto the hard drive (either on a FAT ext2FS, ext3FS or ReiserFS partition). hdcdrom_usb.img     This image allows you to perform an installation through a USB storage device, such as an external CD-ROM or hard drive. network_gigabit_usb.img     This installation image allows you to install from an NFS, FTP, HTTP repository using a Gigabit network adapter (GbE) or a USB one. The images/alternatives/* directory provides more or less the same boot images, but with a different (older) kernel. Actually it provides a 2.2 kernel (Mandrake Linux 8.2 onwards uses kernel 2.4) which might help you to get started on older systems. Creating a Boot Disk Under Windows In order to do so, you need to use the rawwrite program. You will find it in the CD-ROM's dosutils/ directory. You may have noticed that there is a DOS version of the same program called rawrite. It is, in fact, the original version of the program. rawwrite is a graphical front-end to it. Start the program, as shown in Figure 2.1. Figure 2.1. The Rawrite Program win-rawrite.png Select the boot image to be copied and the target device. In almost every case, the target device is the A: drive (that is, the first floppy disk drive). Then if you haven't already done so, insert an empty disk into your chosen floppy drive and click on the Write button. When completed click on the Exit button: now you have a floppy boot disk to install your Mandrake Linux distribution.
Does this help ??:angry2: Bruno

I used the rawrite from the image folderI think if I cannot get this doww I will install from HDalso the kanoppix boot floppy disk does work and it boots normally. could i use this floppy to boot into mandrake

also the kanoppix boot floppy disk does work and it boots normally. could i use this floppy to boot into mandrake
Don't think so . . but you could try . . . ;)The install from HD seems a lot of work but if it is the only way . . . might be worth a go at it . . :angry2:( Also after the Mandrake install you will have no internet, and will have to get and install the drivers after, just telling you so you won't be disappointed . . . . but if there are drivers for your modem we should get it working ):angry2: Bruno

I beleive Driverguide.com does have drivers for linux on my Rockwell soft56k PCI modem :)I am going to give writing the file to the floppy one more time.

Thanks Bruno! :)How much space is REALLY required to install Mandrake? Kanoppix?I have a 8gb partition with win xp (FAT32) and a 2 GB partition with win98 (FAT32)I was planning on installing on the 2GB and dual boot with win98 and xp would this actually work?If not I will pospone the installation until i can afford to get another HD :angry2:

Hi AlexMultibooting with XP and Win98 is possible indeed . . . but 2 GB is absolutely too small . . 5 GB would be more suited . . . even a Knoppix HD install has 3GB of programs on it . . and then you need space for personal files and a 500MB swap partition . . . :angry2: Bruno

Bruno......I have windows xp and 98 dual booting right nowSorry for the misunderstandment.I have XP on my 8GB partition and 98 on my 2GB partitionwhat i was wanting to get Mandrake installed in the windows 98 partition (2gb) would that be possibel or is it too small for mandrake

Too small. Better wait for that new hard drive. You can't fit Mandrake onto the 2 GB unless you leave off all the graphical interfaces. You don't want to do that. You need 5 GB to do it right. If you don't have that, you had best wait until you can do that. If you want to experiment, downlaod PC Linux OS V and run that as a live distro: Download mirrors.Julia :whistling:

linuxdude32

It does sound like you have a bad Mandrake CD and probably the floppy too but it's hard to tell based just on what you're seeing. If you can get another first Mandrake CD you should do that and try it. Boot floppies can be notoriously finicky things (you could have 2-3 in a row that don't work after you've rawrited to them). Make sure if you make a new boot floppy that you try another disk and don't just re-write to the same one.You don't have to have 5 GB for Linux but 2 GB is much too small. It all depends on what you're going to be doing. If you want to experience everything Mandrake has to offer than you will probably need 5 GB plus swap space. It also has to be on its own partition (Mandrake can't be installed on a FAT16/32 partition).If you have 3 GB+ of empty space on your Windows XP partition, you could size it down. I think that both Mandrake and the partitioner in XP itself will let you do this.

linuxdude32
I know for a fact that the Mandrake CD works 100%..as I've done 3 or 4 installs with it.
Something could've happened to it during the trip over or since it arrived, but you're probably right. Possibly a hardware conflict then? :unsure:

Hi Alex Like Julia and Jason said already, that is far too small for a decent Mandrake install. And even if you want to install from HD to HD you need an extra 3GB next to the 5GB for Drake and 500MB for swap. So I guess we will have to wait till you get a new harddisk for this project. Until then you might want to get comfortable with linux by running Live CD's, PCLinux OS like Julia suggested ( get Brian to download it for you :unsure: ), but also Slax and VectorLinux ( both relatively small downloads from around the 250 MB, so even on dial-up not impossible ) . . . this will give you a bit of knowledge how Linux works and that might help you with the modem drivers you want to install in Mandrake later. ;) Keep us posted ! B) BrunoPS: Would there be an update for your BIOS so you get more options to boot ?