Jollix 0.2.1

quint

Okay QuintWhere is our review? You know you have us all spoiled. We are waiting on you to give us your opinion of it. The screen shots are nice but how does it operate? Is it a keeper or a throw back?

Okay QuintWhere is our review?  You know you have us all spoiled.  We are waiting on you to give us your opinion of it.  The screen shots are nice but how does it operate?  Is it a keeper or a throw back?
Hi Julia,After using it for a few hours, I find it to be very stable. Every program that I have used, opens, runs, does what it's supposed to do - very well, indeed. No doubt, it is primarily for the "multimedia sector", but I see no reason why it couldn't fill other purposes. For a "LiveCD", it is a keeper - much more stable than other "LiveCD's", though not as jam-packed with a variety of app's, as some others. All in all, a nice distro...but I haven't yet figured out a way to install it to the hdd. :unsure:Kelly quote:
hey now screenshot of 5 with nvidia tweaking software - very interesting
Thought that might "perk your interest"! :pirate:

Initial thoughts include I need to learn a Deutch kezboard. Mz letters are not coming out in English. I guess I need to rethink this. Somewhere along the line I have it booted in German. Good thing I can speak and read a little Deutch. After looking at zour snapshots were zou in German as well_ I guess I need to go look at lazout and setup before this drives me crayz. I push the right kezs and the wrong letters come out. Much less using some of the szmbols. Can zou guess which letters donät come out right_ It sure is interesting to see.I had to reboot three times before it dawned on me to look closer at the verbose. It said something about unplugging hot USB devices so I pulled mz thumbdisk and it immediatelz rebooted and went right into the program. Glad to see that. Mz impressions will come after I figure out how to get an English kezboard-lazout.ßß-The befuddled teach

I am going into shock. I clicked on the LinNeighborhood and gave my user name and regular password (not root) and told it to show the whole neighborhood. Hubby's machine immediately showed up with the printer and files! I have yet to try to set up a neighborhood. I did not do anything special. Now to play!

Hi Julia,Even though I typed in: < jollix lang=us >at the initial "boot prompt", I still had to enter Control Center > Regional, to change from the "default German" keyboard...after that, this post is the result. ;)

I don't feel so bad that I missed that now. Still playing in it until I have to leave in 45 minutes. Experimenting with the LinNeighborhood since it recognizes Hubby's computer. Now just trying to set it up so I can actually open files/printers, etc. on his computer. Maybe I should go back and read some threads. ;) I still have a lot of things in German since it says you have to completely close out programs in order to open them back up in English which means your point about telling it lang=us to begin with. ;)

Julia,If you figure out a way to install it to the hdd, please let us know...I'm curious to see if this could become "the easy link" to a Gentoo install and/or upgrade. ;) Thanks.

QuintI searched high and low and finally found this:

Experienced GNU/linux users might try to install jollix on their hard disk. But the installation instructions are in german only so far. This will change soon. We plan to develop a graphical installation program for a later version. Jollix is optimized for the i686 architecture; its core is the gaming-sources-2.4.20 kernel from gentoo linux. NVIDIA (TNT- Geforce 5900 FX) and ATI Radeon graphics cards (8500-9800) are supported with full OpenGL 3D acceleration. The size of the jollix ISO-image is 506MB.
Now maybe we need ot look at that web page that is in German but I am not quite ready to tackle that. Maybe tomorrow. :D

Quint you try the live cd of GoboLinux yet?
Hi Kelly,The first time I d/l'd GoboLinux, the md5sums didn't check-out. :( The second time, I d/l'd v0.0.7, md5sum's were identical, quick to "boot-up", but it would not recognize my NIC. :( Also, my "on-board" sound presented a problem. This is the very first Linux distro that was not able to configure my Netgear FA311 NIC....after 45 other distros, that did! :D It still may have been my fault - let me know if you fare better. :)

jollix is fast loading, but not very practical on laptops. Well at least not on the ThinkPad 600e and the Tecra 8100. Both have no NIC because no PCMCIA/PC Card support, and both have no sound. :P The Tecra was faster loading while less verbose with the loading meter. The ThinkPad was all verbose and had no loading meter. :D There went that idea, but it was a nice exercise.

pc-tecky - there are many other live cd distros out there - Knoppix will do pcmcia support and comes loaded with great software packages. Never tried it on a laptop, but you might want to give that a try.

Working on that right now :D , but it's a slow download growing slower. :P (has anybody noticed the time, at least in my part of the world, it's an hour off? :P )

You need to go to your User Control Panel and change your settings. The forum does not change from Daylight Savings Time automatically.

hmmm even with the english cheat code it was still mostly in German and I can't remember my German class well enough to get around in it. I did like what I did see tho.Quint I am curious as to why you may think this would be an easy route to Gentoo install? Isn't this based off the Slackware?

the package manager of Gentoo Linux. In fact, Jollix is Gentoo at this point
A fast and easy-to-install version of Jollix will be available in a later release
Wow Quint your right, but no way to install this yet by the sounds of it. Keep on eye on this one, but hopefully it supports English more, I was unable to go far in it due to the language barrier.

Kelly,Back towards the beginning of this thread: Julia quote:

I searched high and low and finally found this:Experienced GNU/linux users might try to install jollix on their hard disk. But the installation instructions are in german only so far. This will change soon. We plan to develop a graphical installation program for a later version. Jollix is optimized for the i686 architecture; its core is the gaming-sources-2.4.20 kernel from gentoo linux. NVIDIA (TNT- Geforce 5900 FX) and ATI Radeon graphics cards (8500-9800) are supported with full OpenGL 3D acceleration. The size of the jollix ISO-image is 506MB.
...and this:
Even though I typed in:< jollix lang=us >at the initial "boot prompt", I still had to enter Control Center > Regional, to change from the "default German" keyboard.
Good fortune. :blink:

:blink: yes I saw that but what's the German words to get there? Oh wait, my keyboard was in English and typed just fine, just the menus and stuff all in German