Trouble with K3B

georgeg4

I downloaded Slackware 12.2 and when I try to burn it I get the following error

System-----------------------K3b Version: 1.0.5KDE Version: 3.5.10QT Version: 3.3.8Kernel: 2.6.26.8.tex3Devices-----------------------HP DVD Writer 1140d YH26 (/dev/hda, ) [CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL] [DVD-ROM, DVD-R Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Jump, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite, DVD-RW Sequential, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Dual Layer, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW] [sAO, TAO, RAW, SAO/R96P, SAO/R96R, RAW/R16, RAW/R96P, RAW/R96R, Restricted Overwrite, Layer Jump]Burned media-----------------------DVD-R SequentialUsed versions-----------------------growisofs: 7.1growisofs-----------------------/usr/bin/growisofs: no mkisofs options are permitted with =, aborting...growisofs command:-----------------------/usr/lib/cnfbin/growisofs -Z /dev/hda=/dev/fd/0 -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=tracksize:2028784 -dvd-compat -speed=4 -use-the-force-luke=bufsize:32m

Not sure what's happening here but I have same KDE and K3b and burn isos with no problem. I take it you're on PCLos.One thing that strikes me is this bit:

Burned media-----------------------DVD-R Sequential
Are you sure it's a blank DVD?

Yes I am sure sunrat I even changed the dvd for a different one from the middle of the stack just to make sure and yes I am on PClos

Edited by georgeg4

Hi GeorgeDo you indeed right-click the ISO file and choose "Action" --> "Burn Image with K3b" ?? ( or do you first start up k3b and then find the ISO ? ):( Bruno

Whgen I open K3B first and choose create dvd iso image is when I get the error message . But when I right click it and choose actions there is no optoion for an iso just create data dvd or cd

George . . . can you tell me what the ISO file is called ( exactly ) and where it is located ? ( /home/george or /home/george/Desktop )Also, did you do a checksum on the ISO ?:( Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

You may have to open K3b as root and set permissions to "users" for it to work. I had to do this in Slackware 12.0.A sure way to test if it's a permission issue is to see if you can burn the disk as root. If you can, then you'll probably need to set those permissions mentioned above to get K3b to work as a regular user.

I use Slackware, and I just click on the iso, and k3b fires up automatically and ready to burn. Maybe its just a double-click in PCLOS

Hi George, . . . You could try it this way ( on the commandline:growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdb=/home/george/slackware-12.2-iso* Check first if /dev/dvd is correct device . . you can see that with the command "# dmesg | grep DVD":thumbsup: Bruno

I tried what you said bruno and this is the result

[root@localhost george]# dmesg | grep DVDhda: HP DVD Writer 1140d, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drivehdb: PHILIPS DVD8421, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drivehda: ATAPI 126X DVD-ROM DVD-R-RAM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cachehdb: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache[root@localhost george]# growisofs-dvd-compat-z/dev/hda=/home/george/slackware-12.2-isobash: growisofs-dvd-compat-z/dev/hda=/home/george/slackware-12.2-iso: No such file or directory[root@localhost george]#

Your command doesn't match Bruno's. Should be capital Z and spaces are missing:

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hda=/home/george/slackware-12.2-iso

Edited by sunrat

Thanks sunrat but now I get a different response

# growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hda=/home/george/slackware-12.2-iso:-( /dev/hda: media is not recognized as recordable DVD: 0[root@localhost george]#

I am not sure about that bruno I used three different dvd's from three different sleeves and they were dvd-r dvd+r and dvd+rw none of them worked . Also the burner is new ands I tried burning a cd on it and that worked .P.S. I cant download the three cd's with bit torrent because it just goes back to the dvd dl

V.T. Eric Layton

Let me ask a stupid question, George...Is that a CD player/burner? Or a DVD player/burner? The reason I ask is because sometimes folks don't realize that a CD player/burner is not capable of dealing with DVDs. Just curious...

Its a DVD burner Eric HP 1140i Multi Format DVD Writer With Light Scribe . Possibly it is defective this is the first time I tried to burn a dvd with it though I have done a cd with itAnd I was told many times , And I think once or twice by you " there is no such thing as a stupid question "

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah... just stupid answers. ;)I figured you knew what you had there. Just had to ask to eliminate that as a cause, you know. :)

Well, something is wrong with that hardware . . . . . is it connected the correct way ?? ( because it identifies as hda ?? . . . . Are your HDs sda ? ):) Bruno

:whistling: If I remember correctly, some folks have had privileges issues with k3b. Wonder if it'd work with root privileges. :)

Here are the hardware specs and yes the hd's are sda and the burner is hda first hard drives Identification

Vendor: ‎ATADescription: ‎WDC WD3200AAJS-2Disk identifier: ‎ATA WDC WD3200AAJS-2Media class: ‎hdBus identificationVendor ID: ‎0x0000Device ID: ‎0x0000Sub vendor ID: ‎0x0000Sub device ID: ‎0x0000ConnectionBus: ‎SCSIChannel: ‎0Logical unit number: ‎0DeviceOld device file: ‎/dev/sdaPartitionsPrimary partitions: ‎3 (sda1, sda2, sda3)Extended partitions: ‎7 (sda5, sda6, sda7, sda8, sda9, sda10, sda11)MiscGeometry: ‎38913/255/63 (CHS)Disk controller: ‎0Module: ‎sata_nv\
and now disk drives
IdentificationDisk identifier: ‎HP DVD Writer 1140dMedia class: ‎cdromBus identificationVendor ID: ‎0x0000Device ID: ‎0x0000Sub vendor ID: ‎0x0000Sub device ID: ‎0x0000ConnectionBus: ‎ideChannel: ‎primaryDeviceOld device file: ‎/dev/hdaMiscDrive capacity: ‎burner DVD Disk controller: ‎0
Edited by georgeg4

I tried your command again bruno using bothsda and hda as the /dev and here are the results

[george@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost george]# growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sda=/home/george/slackware-12.2-iso:-( not an MMC unit![root@localhost george]# growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hda=/home/george/slackware-12.2-isoExecuting 'builtin_dd if=/home/george/slackware-12.2-iso of=/dev/hda obs=32k seek=0':-( write failed: Is a directory[root@localhost george]#

[root@localhost george]# growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hda=/home/george/slackware-12.2-iso
According to your command, you are telling it to burn a folder and not the iso file itself.

Well spotted Ross. Assuming the .iso file is in /home/george/ it should be:

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hda=/home/george/slackware-12.2.iso

It's always good to use the Tab button for autocompletion to make sure the name is right, eg: /hTab/gTab/slTab

Edited by sunrat

How stupid, we all simply copied the path that George was giving us:

it is in /home/george/slackware-12.2-iso and i did do the checksum though I am not sure if I diud it correctly
But now I start to wonder if George simply made a typo here above ( and the - had to be a dot ) . . . . OR . . that he used bittorrent to download the ISO and the "slackware-12.2-iso" really is a directory and the actual ISO is inside that directory . . . . . That would explain a lot of the odd things going on with k3B and growisofsB) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton
:lol: If I remember correctly, some folks have had privileges issues with k3b. Wonder if it'd work with root privileges. B)
See my post waaay back in this thread about burning as root to test and setting permissions in K3b. This was DEFINITELY an issue for me in Slack 12.0.

UPDATE I successfully loaded Slack on my system . I cheated a bit I went into windows and burned the iso with Active ISO and it worked . Now I need to add it to grubBruno you may well be correct about my coding because I burned the same DVD I was trying to with K3B .And yes bruno I used ktorrent to download it

Edited by georgeg4

V.T. Eric Layton

What is your /(root) partition for Slack, George?This may work for you, George, but you'll have to enter your proper /(root) partition where you see the ?'s:

title		Slackware 12.2root		(hd?,?)kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-huge-smp-2.6.27.7-smp root=/dev/sda(?) 		savedefaultboot

*Note: I recommend creating and booting from initrd. More on that later, if you're interested.

I have it in grub Eric Only problem now is getting online with it . It boots up fine but wont go online . I have dsl Root is sda9

/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26.tex3
P.S. I guess I should start a new thread for this Edited by georgeg4