Multiple distro's

trigggl

I noticed that Mandrake set up 3 drives. One is for the root directory, one for the home directory and a swap file.I was wondering if I could have multiple distro, each with their own root drive, but have them all share the home or swap drives? Now that I think about it, distros like Slack and Mandrake are probably incompatible, but you don't know until you ask. If it could be done, it would probably take some diligent setup. I doubt that anything like this could be set up initially. It would probably have to be switched to it, and then in the case of the home directory, a lot of pointers would have to change. I guess I'm just looking for a way to save redundant space.I guess one would have to be careful to go back to the last distro in case of a crash to recover lost files in swap before going to a different one. I don't think I've heard any talk on this subject and it's got me interested. Why have two swap files? It's temporary data anyways, right? :D

Greg,You can only share the /swap partition . . . . if you share the /home the personal settings, but also the version numbers of KDE and Evolutin etc. have to be exact the same, and they never are . . . :D Bruno

Thanks for that info, Bruno. That makes sense. I guess one thing I could do is set up a partition for all of my documents,music, images and downloads. I wonder if I'm violating MS Intellectual Property if I call it /My_Documents?For sharing the swap file in, say, Red Hat, would I let Red Hat reformat the swap partition for it to recognize it? That wouldn't mess Mandrake up would it?Thanks again for your help! Even with out the marriage counseling. :D

GregRedHat will recognize the /swap . . and it does not have to be re-formatted, it´s okay as it is . . . . XP . . . . . I know zero about XP . . . ::) wrong forum :) wrong moderator :D : !! ( why not call that partition Backup . . and format it Fat32 so Windows AND Linux can read and write to it ?? :) ):) Bruno