Anyway to clear apt-get?

havnblast

root@wolfbase:/home/wolfbase# apt-get -f installReading Package Lists... DoneBuilding Dependency Tree... DoneCorrecting dependencies... DoneThe following extra packages will be installed:  libntfs5The following NEW packages will be installed:  libntfs50 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.274 not fully installed or removed.Need to get 0B/57.3kB of archives.After unpacking 156kB of additional disk space will be used.Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y(Reading database ... 107915 files and directories currently installed.)Unpacking libntfs5 (from .../libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb) ...dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb (--unpack): trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libntfs.so.5.0.0', which is also in package ntfsprogsdpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)Errors were encountered while processing: /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.debE: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)root@wolfbase:/home/wolfbase#

grrrr is there away to clear out apt-get cause now I can't install anything with apt-get without getting that above. I need apt-get to install stuff but over and over it gets hung up there - did that to me during the apt-get dist-upgrade, I really don't want to reinstall either.

root@wolfbase:/home/wolfbase# apt-get cleanroot@wolfbase:/home/wolfbase# apt-get install etermReading Package Lists... DoneBuilding Dependency Tree... Doneeterm is already the newest version.You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:The following packages have unmet dependencies:  testdisk: Depends: libntfs5 (>= 1.9.0) but it is not going to be installedE: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).root@wolfbase:/home/wolfbase#

I can't get anything installed cause of that dang libntfs5 dependency

how Bruno?? I just did apt-get dist-upgrade - shouldn't of that done it - it downloaded and installed a lot of stuff till it hit that point in the upgrade and now I am stuck

Just find the libntfs package somewhere and install it . . and see if the Eterm you wanted to install stops complaining about a missing dependencyB) BrunoPS: Not sure why you would need "libntfs" for installing Eterm thoughUPDATE: After reading the thread again: Try

apt-get -f install libntfs5

libntfs error thing comes up no matter what I try to install tho - no matter what it just does thatI'll see if I can find the libntfs culprit

< export DEBIAN_FRONTEND; apt-get install --yes 'libntfs5';echo RESULT=$?Reading Package Lists... DoneBuilding Dependency Tree... DoneThe following NEW packages will be installed:  libntfs50 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.274 not fully installed or removed.Need to get 57.3kB of archives.After unpacking 156kB of additional disk space will be used.Get:1 [URL=http://ftp.de.debian.org]http://ftp.de.debian.org[/URL] testing/main libntfs5 1.9.0-1 [57.3kB]Fetched 57.3kB in 17s (3207B/s)(Reading database ... 107915 files and directories currently installed.)Unpacking libntfs5 (from .../libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb) ...dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb (--unpack): trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libntfs.so.5.0.0', which is also in package ntfsprogsdpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)Errors were encountered while processing: /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.debE: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)RESULT=100

broken pipe? is that like a 404 error or something - augh I'm screwed aren't I?

KellyWhat if you remove:

apt-get remove libntfs5

Then remove manualy:/var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.debThen

apt-get -f install libntfs5

??B) Bruno

same thing - same errorTried using kpackage and everything to install the package - man I was really hoping I wouldn't have to reinstall since I just got it pretty much setup here to where I want it.

yup sure did

root@wolfbase:/home/wolfbase# apt-get remove libntfs5Reading Package Lists... DoneBuilding Dependency Tree... DonePackage libntfs5 is not installed, so not removedYou might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:The following packages have unmet dependencies:  testdisk: Depends: libntfs5 (>= 1.9.0) but it is not going to be installedE: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).root@wolfbase:/home/wolfbase#

Package libntfs5 is not installed, so not removed
It is getting weirder every minute ! . . . . What is this package: "testdisk" ?? . . that one failes because libntfs5 is missing . . . What if you do
apt-get -f install testdisk

??B) Bruno

root@wolfbase:/home/wolfbase# apt-get -f install testdiskReading Package Lists... DoneBuilding Dependency Tree... Donetestdisk is already the newest version.You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:The following packages have unmet dependencies:  testdisk: Depends: libntfs5 (>= 1.9.0) but it is not going to be installedE: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).root@wolfbase:/home/wolfbase#
I have no idea - says it is already the newest - something with the dist-upgrage - I was in XP and booted to Linux and ran the dist-upgrade first thing and it looked like it was going fine till thisremove testdisk?

remove testdisk?
Yep why not . . . and run distupgrade again before reinstalling it ( or trying to reinstall it )B) Bruno