Distro Play time

teacher

If you want to play with Java's Desktop System it is in the DVD of the March issue of LinuxFormat. It bumped out MandrakeMove which is in the CD set. This is the first time I have seen them put something in the CD set and not the DVD. They also included DamnSmallLinux, FeatherLinux, Knoppix 3.3, PuppyLinux, RecoverisPossible, LinuxLiveCDRouter, MultiBootCD (which is suppose to allow you boot multiple distros from CD) and the PacketMaster as their minidistors this month. For some of you the most interesting part of this issue is it has a whole section of modem drivers, scanner drivers, printer drivers, sound card drivers, and just all sorts of hardware drivers.The 2.6.1 kerne is included as well. I guess I am going to be busy reading and playing for a few days!Julia :)l

I thought you would like this issue. Last month's was a repeat type of distro with their hot picks over hte years. This one looks like a keeper. Of course it will be at least two or three weeks before it is on the newstands here.Julia :thumbsup:

Thanks Julia! :w00t: We get it up here, too. The last issue had Fedora Core 1 on two discs and Omnis Studio, Vega Strike and Rekall (database front-end). Haven't tried any of it yet but interesting in trying Rekall some time.

It's a good sign of growing maturity on the part of Linux that so much software is beginning to be available. On those disks, I'll bet 75% of it is stuff I'd never use...and that's good. It means we've survived the stage where you feel compelled to install every piece of software you could find just because it was so rare. Now we have a wide range of choices, and we can pass some of them right by without guilt or greed. :w00t:

Talk to the distributor. I had to do that here to find out that they only stocked a couple of copies in one store. I then found out which store and when they came in! Of course, about that time I broke down and subscribed. You can subscribe from anywhere on their website. It comes to my doorstep packaged with some corrogated cardboard in the envelope so the DVD can't get smashed. Jason - you missed an issue. That was the January version. The February was hot picks and the one I referred to above is the March issue. I know it hits the bookstores here around the 18th to the 22nd of the month so I am about 3 weeks ahead of store delivery. Jeber - I believe you are right. I have a nice stack of the DVDs going back to July. I don't begin to install everything but find it fun to pick and choose. Many times I only play with the Live CDs. Then again, looking at the primary distros on that stack of DVDs the only ones I don't have currently installed is FreeBSD and Fedora. :w00t: Julia :lol:

Julia, this looks like a really interesting publication, but their website shows the subscription price in pounds. Because I'm too lazy to look for the exchange rate, can you tell me roughly what you paid for a subscription?

It was about $120 for a year. That is a better deal than the newstand where it is $15 each month. I was buying it every single month so my husband suggested I subscribe to it (I think he was tired of being sent from bookstore to bookstore to find it for me. :rolleyes: )Julia :D