MacWorld is this week!

Neil P

Apple's "front door" has a teaser that says "The first 30 years were just the beginning. Welcome to 2007."There are what seem like millions of rumors swirling around out there. Everything from an Apple phone to larger displays with iSight built in (they mysteriously disappeared from the Apple Store a few weeks ago) to iWork 07 with spreadsheets built in to Leopard being Steve's "one more thing"I guess all the rumors only have a short time left to live, the keynote is tomorrow morning. If you're for some reason planning on buying anything Apple related (particularly an iPod, they're way overdue for an update) might I suggest waiting until tomorrow :thumbup:

Guest LilBambi

With all the CES buzz, I almost forgot that Mac World was around the same time frame!Thanks for the reminder and letting us know what's being speculated!Certainly would be excellent to have Leopard out there ASAP.I am wondering if my PPC Mac Mini will run Leopard ... :thumbup:

Is anyone else as disappointed as I am? The Keynote lasted almost two hours and the only new items are the iTV and iPhone. No hardware bumps. No new software. Yawn. ;)

Ladies and gentleman, Apple Computer, Inc. is no more.They'll from now on be known as Apple, Inc.Some pretty big announcements from ol' Steve today: The iTV been renamed the Apple TV (in pictures it's the Apple logo + the letters TV). Works with Mac and PC, 802.11n (and b/g I think). It's got an "Intel processor" but it doesn't say what kind, a 40GB hard drive, comes with an Apple remote and has a very slick interface. Does 720p, but I don't think you can browse the iTunes store from it ;) $299 available today...for preorder. Ships in February.And the huge announcement is actually three announcements: an internet device, a widescreen iPod and a mobile phone. The best part is, all three are in one! Words do this device no justice: it has the single best screen I've ever seen on a phone in history. It's stunning. There is ONE button on it, and that's a home button. Everything else is done by "multi touch" control. It's got an accelerometer in it, so it can tell when you've flipped it sideways. 2 megapixel camera. IT RUNS OS X! Safari is on it, and you can browse full websites: not WAP content, actual content (Steve showed nytimes.com) They've made voicemail look like an inbox, so "you don't have to listen to 5 voicemails just to hear the sixth") Engadget has a ton of info on it including a LOT of pictures. Cingular only, launches in June, 4GB for $499, 8GB for $599, with 2 year contract.edit: it is disappointing that they didn't update any products or make any other announcements (I guess Steve's "one more thing" was the name change). Engadget has a play by play of the keynote, again with pictures.

Guest LilBambi

I may not be getting one of those due to the price point, but Wow! I love it! If it works as well as they thought it through, it will be a winner. Hope they get in with a good UK telco/cellphone group as well so it's available there. And it seems you can bring along your tunes from your iTunes library which is great news. And I assume (maybe wrongly) that means even if your tunes are all mp3s. They didn't specify and it would be unwise to limit to aac because they would trash a lot of potential customers if they did. Great to see this very impressive 'communication device' running Mac OS X. :thumbsup:Cool gadget for sure the iPhone ... and Cisco apparently allowing Apple to use the iPhone name too.I guess the Beatles are OK with them being Apple, Inc. now. That's great news.I was surprised that they went with Apple TV instead of iTV but that may have been due to the fact that it can be standalone.I followed along with the live blogging (blow by blow) at TechDigest and they were pretty impressed with what they saw and it made for some excitement on this end as well!;)

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've never been a fan of combining things into one device, just because you can. When cameras first got added to cell phones, I thought it was a goofy idea. Maybe I've never liked combo devices because I've yet to see such a device that did a better job than the standalone items. For example, I know a number of people with Blackberrys or Treos (phone / PDA combo). None of them like them. They're awkward to use and the sound quality is very poor. Maybe Apple will get it right with the iPhone. I hope so, but have my doubts. Restricting it to Cingular makes it irrelevant for me anyway. I won't be switching my carrier just to pay $500 or $600 for a device I'm not sold on and a two year contract.

Guest LilBambi

I hear ya, bjf123. When combo devices generally come out, I say pass. And I will reserve judgment on this one for now. Like TVs/VCRs/DVDs. If the TV goes to the point where it's not worth repairing/not cost effective to repair, you have a door stop. So I know what you mean.But I have seen some really nice combo devices. The iPaq for one did a great job of being a wifi Internet product, PDA, and gave ability to play games. That was a nice combo that worked.I think, if it works as advertised, the iPhone could be a great thing and the intro of a new way of doing mobile communications. I guess we will have to wait and see.

There is one thing I see on the Apple web site that I like. The updated Airport Extreme Base Station looks good. The last time I looked at it, there was only one ethernet connection, which was no good for my home setup. I might have to look into one of them.

I just finished watching the Keynote Address. After seeing the iPhone demo, I have to admit it's pretty neat. Being $500 and not available with my carrier, I'm not going to be getting one, but it looks like a great integration.

Guest LilBambi

Yep, same here on the carrier issue. Shame they gave an exclusive 2 year contract to Cingular. Leaving it open so those of us with other carriers could get one would have been a wise move. But maybe that was the only way they could get a carrier to work with them. I bet Verizon and AT&T wish they had played ball LOL!

My wireless carrier is my local phone company, Cincinnati Bell. I've got a package with them that combines local, long distance, wireless, and DSL. However, they use the Cingular network when I'm out of the Cincinnati area, so maybe they'll offer the iPhone. Somehow, I doubt it, though.

The iPhone should work with any carrier, provided it can be unlocked to Cingular's network. The only one it should not work with are Sprint and Verizon, since they use TDMA and CDMA, instead of GSM.Isn't it considered legal now to unlock your phone for personal use? It has a SIM card, so you could run it on any GSM carrier.Adam

A lot of the cool stuff (like the visual voicemail) can only be done with the Cingular (er, I mean, AT&T Wireless) network. Also I think it's exclusive to Cingular for the first 2 years (at least I heard that somewhere) and then anyone can have it. This is the same as almost every phone that's come out in America. It sucks, but I'm on Cingular so I'm not complaining too loudly :devil:

Guest LilBambi

Grrrr! Now that does stink!Sounds like Verizon did with us when they took over GTELand ... we are still a red headed step child!(no offense intended to any with red head, especially if they are a stepchild :huh: )