Xandros Desktop 2.0

kamicota

Well All :D :lol: :huh: :) :angry: :( :blink: :huh: :'( :teehee: :D I have tried to install Knoppix 3.3, Mandrake 10 bet1. Blag, and Vector Soho on existing linux formatted hard drives BUT :'( NONE have worked. Yet Suse 8.2 was a successful install :huh: several months agoBefore Xandros arrives Tomorrow :D :huh: Are there any Cheat Codes or advice that may :huh: obliterate the unsuccessful installs of the last two & a half weeks.Went to their site and saw very little that would help with the install :'( :ermm: :o Colin :blink: :ermm: :'( :teehee: :unsure: BUT STILL Smiling :lol: :huh: :D

I have tried to install Knoppix 3.3, Mandrake 10 bet1. Blag, and Vector Soho on existing linux formatted hard drives BUT  :huh:  NONE have worked. Yet Suse 8.2 was a successful install  :blink:  several months agoBefore Xandros arrives Tomorrow  :teehee:  :blink:  Are there any Cheat Codes or advice that may  :huh:  obliterate the unsuccessful installs of the last two & a half weeks.Went to their site and saw very little that would help with the install  :huh:  :unsure:  :teehee: Colin
Well Colon Are you going to install Xandros on a hard drive of its own or on a drive with windows? either way it will probably be the easiest install that you have ever done with Linux. The only problem with Xandros is the fact that it is too easy for experianced Linux or Power users. You should have no problems if you were able to install SuSE 8.2 Xandros is what I call a one button install. I have never had a problem installing it on any computer that I tried it on. Good Luck and keep us posted on how it turns out...Mel :angry:

Thanks Mel :huh: That makes feel alot better :huh: cos this has been a frustrating two & a half weeks not being able to boot to any linux Distro after Mandrake 10 sidelined Suse.Lets hope you are right as I am not too knowledgeable when it comes to setting up the protocols and suchVector ASKED me so much this last 2Hours that my head is STILL swimming :unsure: :teehee: Colin :huh:

Yes, Bell is right. It is the easiest Linux install routine I have ever seen. It is even easier than Windows, even if you chose the custom install option. Even just for this you already get your money's worth.I've also tried it on my Celeron/Via694x/TNT2, AthlonXP/Nforce2/Radeon, AthlonXP/SiS745/SiS315E machines and never had an install problem.My only complaint is that it doesn't give you an option other than ReiserFS.

WELL B) No DOUBT that was the easiest Install I have ever done (or was it Xandros o:) )Only problem was I went for a default install B) :w00t: :w00t: ME.No Gimp and it did utilize disk # 2 Did a Network Update BUT what's the procedure to install more programs from disk #2 or elswhere???If memory serves me right Xandros does NOT :D use RPM's so I may be a little hesitant hereOh well thanks all from the Windows machine as I didn't have the forums' URLBut will soonCheers B) Colin :D

Great B) TranquiloI have them bookmarked BUT HEY I actually :w00t: :D o:) Updated the kernel to2.4.22 and also got Gimp from Xandros Networks.I have just got Star Office 7 so hopefully this will install from their linux Install.Soon Hope to Try and Install Paintshop Pro 7.04 and again Hopefully Crossover Office will just install itI'm surprised at the meagre amount of programs there are in the default install but will try to remedy thatOh well FINALLY my nearly 3 weeks of NOT being able to install ANY Distro Xandros did it for meI'm SO :w00t: and on my way to totally Linux once the Epson C64 Printer and the Epson Perfection 1250 Scanner are recognized and runningThought there may have been other Desktops like Ice or Gnome, and only Mozilla but HEY IT IS UP AND RUNNING so like Tony the Tiger says GGGGGGggggggRRRRRRRRrrrrrrEEEeeeAAAaaaTTTttt B) :D B) Colin B)

Colin:Knoppix should install over partitions already made - it should ask you to or warn you that all stuff will be erased and you continue on and it should go. I have installed it over top other linux partitions before with no problem.Xandros 2 is nice, I don't like the updating in it and if your not careful you can actually break Xandros by installing stuff. I used Konstructs and updated the KDE in it and it changed a lot of stuff by doing that, but 3.2 will not install for me. I find that some things I could install on Knoppix I can't on Xandros 2. I've had much luck getting crossover to do much either - tried to install Photoshop but that failed, no need for MS Office with Open Office. Seems like I had better luck with wine B) It is a nice distro tho - I don't see it being a keeper, probably till the Knoppix 3.4 is out

Thanx :D QuintKelly No Matter how many times I tried to install Knoppix 3.3 IT wouldn't install. It just hung up at initializing Peripherals But YES I am intersted in Knoppix 3.4 with the 2.6 kernel and I have a Linux 10G Partition waiting for whichever i install.Mind I had the same glitches with mandrake 10 beta1 vector Soho, and Blag so what I am doing wrong I just Do NOT Know o:) Crossover is the Jewel in the Crown for Me and hope I can have more success with paint Shop pro 7.04.If ONLY B) IF ONLY B) Knoppix et al had an installer like Xandros it would make us Novices much more at home eh :D B) :w00t: :w00t: Colin B)

I've had much luck getting crossover to do much either - tried to install Photoshop but that failed, no need for MS Office with Open Office.
I've managed to install Photoshop 5.5 on Xandros1 without problem. I'll try PS7 and Macromedia Flash5 next. I also installed StarOffice 5.1 that came from my old Mandrake CDs. Converted the rpm using Alien, no problem.

HHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmm B2cmThat sounds interesting :o Can't wait to se if PSP 7 will install I only have Photoshop 5 LE so don't really know about that oneI have Star Office 7.0 so hope that will replace Open Office with it's Linux installer :ermm: Thinking about doing a Re Install though BUT B) A CUSTOM Install this time an see If I get more programs to play with :lol:I' keep abreast of any further treats the Forum may have for me while I am in Calgary for the weekend just so as I can be prepared when I get home on Sunday B) Colin :D