My current woes, first pc build.

tommyj12

Well after a a lot of consideration I decided to go ahead a build a new system to replace my old aging athlon xp with a AM64x2. Here are the sepcs: ABIT KN9 NF4ULTRA AM2 AMD64 X2 3800 Memory 512x2 Patriot Dll667 PSU Antec sp-500 GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express.. (just decided on this one haven't ordered it yet) WD caviar 80gb ide Lite-on DVD+RW Here is the problem, I assembled everything except the graphics card, and when I plugged it in the on board power lit up. Ok power to the board. When I pushed the power button the on board system power button lit up, fans started, and then shut down. Nothing but the on board power led. :wacko: If I unplug the power and allow the power led to go out and re plug hit the power button same thing. Fans for only a second. I have emailed tech support, but won't hear back till prob. first of the week. Abit forums went thru a change yesterday a lot of posts were lost, and I can log in but can't post or e-mail an mods to fix it. :rolleyes: Any thoughts, suggestions, or comments would be appreciated as I don't know where to start trouble shooting. :whistling: Thanks, Tommy

Tommy, install a graphics card. Startup aborts because the BIOS cannot initialise display. If you have installed a graphics card and still have the problem, either you have a bad video card or there is a short somewhere causing the PSU auto-shutdown to avoid damage. I see that you still have to buy a graphics card. If you are going Nvidia, buy a SLI-capable PCI-E card. Nvidia will soon release the "NVIDIA Linux 1.0-8XXX/Release 80 drivers" set.

Edited by b2cm

I just got thru chatting with a friend and he told me the same thing about the gc causing startup abort. Boy I feel stupid :whistling:

I see that you still have to buy a graphics card. If you are going Nvidia, buy a SLI-capable PCI-E card. Nvidia will soon release the "NVIDIA Linux 1.0-8XXX/Release 80 drivers" set.
Could you post a link to what you are talking about as I really don't have a clue what SLI capable is. I looked around at newegg where I bought most of the hardware and there are so many gc's there it makes my head hurt. :rolleyes: Hopefully in the same price range as this one that I just ordered not ten minutes ago. If you post back soon enough to catch it before it goes thru, I will consider the other. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814143049 Thanks Tommy. Edited by tommyj12

Thanks, I did my research and think I made some good choices. The gc will be here first of the week and hopefully I can be up and running very soon. I am excited to see how well it performs. :'(

i've made this offer to many here at scot's, and whaddya know? no one's ever taken me up on it!
I can't imagine why not. :thumbsup:
congrats on your new pc! let us know how it does!
You can bet on it! B)

i've made this offer to many here at scot's, and whaddya know? no one's ever taken me up on it!
Well, I did and was told your hardware lab does not have the equipment to handle this portable computercomputer.png :thumbsup: Edited by b2cm

I'm impressed with the abacus. It appears that a Japanese abacus is put on top of a Chinese abacus.In case any one wonders, a Japanese abacus has a single bead above the divider bar and a Chinese abacus has two beads above the divide bar. (Yup, when you are a former math teacher, your head is filled with all such useless trivia!).

I am still unable to get this mobo to post. I have looked at the cpu pins, and they appear to be fine. I removed the board from the chassis and put it on styrofoam. I only have one sick of ram, and tried both sticks to see if one was bad. The new GC, and cpu are all that are in the board, and the only connections are for the power switch speaker, and the cpu fan. Still the same thing, it will spin the fans, that is all. I don't know where to go form here to troubleshoot? Any suggestions?

Edited by tommyj12

Check if ALL 3 psu cables are plugged to the 3 motherboard power connectors.1. ATX12V1 (top left of processor, 20/24-pin)2. ATXPWR1 (above IDE1, 4-pin)3. ATX4P1 (above PCIEXPx16, 4-pin, this one supplies power to your graphics card)

No, the power connector is on the motherboard, not the graphics card. This power connector supplies 12v for devices installed on the PCI-E slots. If you have not plugged in a line from the power supply unit, the video card might not have sufficient electricity to run, therefore the startup stalls for want of a display.

I downloaded a manual for the KN9 series, and the diagrams for the models (Ultra, SLI and S) had this 12v connector above the PCI-E slot and behind the USB/LAN ports. But the pictures you posted show your motherboard does not have this connector. ;) Check the 4-pin power connector again to see if it is the right plug and if it is correctly seated.

I checked the 4 pin connector, seemed fine. Still just spins the fans. I am going to see if the local shop can test the cpu and psu for me. That way I will know it is the board. Unless there are any other suggestions. ;)

Check the Clear CMOS cap if it is in the right position. Clear it once and start the machine.When you go to the local shop, bring the memory with you.

send the hardware to:temmu evaluation labs1313 mockingbird lanenew orleans, la 70123i'll evaluate it for a couple of years and let you know...:opsi've made this offer to many here at scot's, and whaddya know? no one's ever taken me up on it! :hysterical:ppscongrats on your new pc! let us know how it does!
I never got my Pentium II laptop back...are you still testing ? ?Regards,patio. :hysterical:

Well I found out the psu was bad today. Having talked to some others that have seen a lot of those that were faulty I wish I had spent a little more money in the first place, and gotten a higer quality psu. :hmm: Anyway I have ordered a new one, hopefully I can have my new system up next week. I decided on this one so I hope it will perform well.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817194010

The new psu is still giving me the same results. The fans only spin for a second, and then shut down. This is really frustrating me.

• 2 weeks later...

It's in the shop right now, in fact I am about to go see the owner. I just don't have the stuff to test with. Hopefully it is the mobo, then I can get it running after an rma. I have been waiting for weeks. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I finally have a diagnosis on this. The tech I took it to looked at it for about 10 minutes and before I got back home he had left me a message that there was something missing on the MB during manf. I haven't spoken to him about what it was but, I am finally glad to know what the problem is. Has anyone ever bought from here? http://www.clubit.com Their prices beat newegg to death, so much in fact I am really wondering about their validity. :hysterical: Tommy

Edited by tommyj12

The missing item could be that 12v power connector (ATX4P1) that I had earlier mentioned. If the motherboard design is for the graphics card to draw power from that missing connector, then you have the perfect explanation for the problem.

From what I understand there was a chip missing. The one by the pci slots. I never thought to compare the board with a picture, but sure enough there is only the one chip, when there should be two. Go figure, I wish I could strangle the worker who left it out. Anyway I went with a this baby: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...?ProductID=2302 Along with a 2g kit of these bad boys http://www.patriotmem.com/products/detailp...=317&type=1 I know I will be getting another geforce 7600 soon so I can run dual cards, and if the amd prices continue to drop I see a faster cpu in the near future. I hope all is well when it arrives tomorrow. Tommy

Edited by tommyj12