Gateway Reliability

teacher

I can not believe this saga. This is my third problem with my Gateway tablet as it nears its one year anniversary.I purchased my Gateway tablet last January. Within the first three weeks I had problems with the hard driver and errors on it. They were a pain. Gateway had a new hard drive on my doorstep within 24 hours and I was happy.Then during the summer I noticed that next to the hinge on the screen side it was coming apart. Back it went and it returned I returned it on August 9 and they had it back to me a week later.Today when I came home from work my daughter said she had a problem. It seems the tablet would not power up. We pulled the battery and tried powering up from the power supply rather than the battery. I pulled the RAM and reseated it. I cleaned the contacts. Low and behold, it is now in a box going back to Gateway for its third repair. That means from January 10 to November 28 - not even 11 months, it will have undergone three repairs. I am glad I bought the extra three year extended warrantee. That is something I never do as a rule but I did this time. Further Gateway has "special boxes" for shipping that for only $44 you receive the box along with the label and shipping paid. Needless to say I saved that special box last time. Otherwise, they do not guarantee that it will arrive safely. I think I will be money ahead this time. You can bet that special box will be in a special place.Do you think I got a lemon? Or do I just have bad luck? Anyone else out there with good or bad experiences with Gateway? I must say there tech support team is polite, (even if it took 40 minutes this time in the Chat to get them to the point of giving me the number for returning it). The harddrive arrived in less than 24 hours with the first problem last January. The return in August took about 8 days. I'm hoping this one is just as speedy.

A friend is running his model railway from one of my old Gateway PII 350s, another Gateway 2000 (Pentium 200) that I sold years ago is still running fine. I have no experience with new Gateways as they stopped selling them here about five years ago.

I'm leaning that way. She sure loves the tablet capability as an artist. It is there for repairs now. We will wait and see what happens to it this time.