VideoLAN media player

GolfProRM

Thanks to The ScreenSavers, and Sarah's download of the day, I checked out VideoLAN and the VLC media player.This project is completely open source, completely free, and multi-platform (Windows, Mac, and any major Linux distro).This player is designed to play just about anything! It does both video and audio, in just about every format ever made (including .aac and .mov). It will also play DVDs (it says it supports every region, so there's no annoying region lock).It's also designed to stream media across a local network to a different computer... So you can have all your files on one server, and have it setup to stream them across to your other machines...It's quite cool! :)Thought I'd post this here too, so y'all can check it out as well... They've got pre-compiled versions for nearly all the major distros (Mandrake, SuSE, Fedora, etc.).They've even got a version for the Zaurus (just for you Julia!)

Thanks Ryan. I think I have run across it a time or two but never dug in and looked at it. Will have to see what the Zaurus file is. I have never had a desire to do video on it but maybe it will shrink pics down to a viewable size.

I gave this a try as I wish to play movie DVD's , been a problem since I started using Linux....But I have run into a problem here is the code

Installation failed:        file /usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.0.7 from install of libdvdcss2-1.2.8-1plf conflicts with file from package libdvdcss-1.2.8-2.network[root@localhost harry]# mv /usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.0.7 /home/harry/Trashmv: cannot stat `/usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.0.7': No such file or directory

Any suggestions ????? :happyroll: Charlie

libdvdcss2-1.2.8-1plf
Charlie . . this means that you have that file from PLF . . and did install it with the MCC . . . so ===> Go to the MCC -> Remove software -> and remove libdvdcss2-1.2.8-1plf :happyroll: :lol: . . . after that there should be no more conflict during the install ;):D Bruno

Bruno.... I tried to get rid of the file using MCC no go and when I thought back I remember I use rpm - i I used this

rpm -e libdvdcss-1.2.8-2.network

The install worke great now to try it outPS I have made a few customizations with 10.1 community will need a good plan when the offical version is availableCharlie........ thanks for the assistance

Glad you managed to get it installed Charlie . . . and, tell us, can you watch DVDs now ? Does it work with VideoLAN ?And did the VideoLAN have the libdvdcss codecs included in the package ? Or did you need new ones from PLF ?:happyroll: Bruno

Bruno Installed videoLan , it places two icons on the MultiMedia/Video menue but it will not run the program I do not why, as Xine and Kaffinene both boot up and play DVD'sThe installation of VideoLan was not a compliated. After going to the web page , (see the above for the link) (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) one follows the instructions,, each OS and a number of Linux distros have icon links for installation.Mandrake.................To install the latest VLC packages, add the following sources for either Mandrake 9.1, 9.2 or Cooker (you can use "Easy urpmi" for that):(http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/) * contrib from the core distribution; * plf (Penguin Liberation Front) from the external add-ons.Follow along from there , a copy and paste operation as root user as well as the final script.Mandrake 10.1 using urpmi script to add sources to the software media manager ( a script file on the Plf web site ) for the users release number. Then this run install scripturpmi libdvdcss2 libdvdplay0 wxvlc vlc-plugin-a52 vlc-plugin-ogg vlc-plugin-madScript out put....................To satisfy dependencies, the following 12 packages are going to be installed (14 MB):liba52dec0-0.7.4-6mdk.i586libdvdcss2-1.2.8-1plf.i586libdvdplay0-1.0.1-5mdk.i586liblame0-3.96.1-1plf.i586libmpeg2dec0-0.4.0b-2mdk.i586libsysfs0-0.4.0-1mdk.i586libwxgtk2.5-2.5.0-0.cvs20030817.1mdk.i586vlc-0.8.0-0.test2.2plf.i586vlc-plugin-a52-0.8.0-0.test2.2plf.i586vlc-plugin-mad-0.8.0-0.test2.2plf.i586vlc-plugin-ogg-0.8.0-0.test2.2plf.i586wxvlc-0.8.0-0.test2.2plf.i586Is this OK? (Y/n) yinstalling /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/wxvlc-0.8.0-0.test2.2plf.i586.rpm /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/vlc-plugin-a52-0.8.0-0.test2.2plf.i586.rpm /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/vlc-plugin-mad-0.8.0-0.test2.2plf.i586.rpm /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libdvdcss2-1.2.8-1plf.i586.rpm /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libwxgtk2.5-2.5.0-0.cvs20030817.1mdk.i586.rpm /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libmpeg2dec0-0.4.0b-2mdk.i586.rpm /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/liblame0-3.96.1-1plf.i586.rpm /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/vlc-0.8.0-0.test2.2plf.i586.rpm /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libsysfs0-0.4.0-1mdk.i586.rpm /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libdvdplay0-1.0.1-5mdk.i586.rpm /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/liba52dec0-0.7.4-6mdk.i586.rpm /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/vlc-plugin-ogg-0.8.0-0.test2.2plf.i586.rpmPreparing... ################################################## 1:liba52dec0 ################################################## 2:libsysfs0 ################################################## 3:liblame0 ################################################## 4:libmpeg2dec0 ################################################## 5:libwxgtk2.5 ################################################## 6:libdvdplay0 ################################################## 7:libdvdcss2 ################################################## 8:wxvlc ################################################## 9:vlc-plugin-a52 ################################################## 10:vlc ################################################## 11:vlc-plugin-mad ################################################## 12:vlc-plugin-ogg ##################################################[ The Suse install looked quite different and I didn't check any other distros or Widoze Anyone who has success in getting this working , I would be interested in your adventure , particularly if other disrtos are used , ie SuseCharlie

Hi CharlieThe install process I see you posted looks 100% Okay to me . . no errors no remarks . . . can not see why it would not work . . . . maybe you can start the prog from the commandline and see if it prints any errors we can debug . .

as Xine and Kaffinene both boot up and play DVD's
Does this mean Xine is playing DVD's now ??:thumbsup: Bruno

CharlieYou don't need it if Xine is working great for you. Rule number 1: If it is working and nothing is wrong, don't mess with it. :angry: