old computer

jmjlinux586

Hello,I have 2 old computers,1 from ~1998 and 1 from ~2000.They both had 64 mb sdramI stole one from one and used it in the other.Now I have 128 mb in 1 and 0mb in the other.My question is they were both pc100 the one sticks #'s are GM72V66841CT7Jand the others #'s are GM72V66841ET7J.the only difference is one has a C and one has a Ein the 4th digit from the end.Will this mess up my computer?It seems to work, BTW, it has winME on it. :( My next question is when I try to download anything it restarts or I get a BSD,I can get a browser and get the internet ok, butit doesn't like to download.Do I have enough memory????I tried to put PCLOS LIVE on it and it wont give me a window manager.It goes al the way to selecting keyboard and language and I get a user choice, but it wont go to the window manager.All I get is the arrow with a blue spinner.I was thinking about vector linux, since I only have128mb ram. Is this a good choice,or would ther be a better one for an old computer?????

Hi JimNope PCLos will not run on 128 MB . . . . it needs 256 MB at least.But there are alternatives: D Small Linux will run very smooth on that system. ( http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=04330 ) This is the absolute right distro for that hardware.Vector Linux an older version ( standard, not the SOHO edition ) will do fine . . have a look here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distri...sion_table.htmlAbsoluteLinux will run on 128 MB . . . I tested this one a few days ago and was very impressed ( http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=04398 ) Based on Slackware.Puppy linux is suited for that hardware ( http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribut...ll&year=all )Granular is based on PCLos but has the IceWM windowmanager so it should be able to give you a GUI . . . . . it will run slow though . . you can test it live. ( http://granular-linux.com/main/news.php ) . . make sure you boot the IceWM desktop and not KDE !SAM Another pclos adaption for slow computers . . . . test it Live. ( http://sam.hipsurfer.com/news.php ):( BrunoPS: In general, and that goes for every distro you load, KDE is out of the question ! Only lightweight windowmanagers like Fluxbox, IceWM, Enlightenment, AfterStep etc. etc. will do the trick.

Hello,I have Vector Linux 5.1 std up and running.I am having trouble trying to set up my wireless router.I have a linksys router on my main computer,and a linksys wireless-B usb network adapteron the old compuiter.I did have it set up when I had windows on it.I went to NIDISwrapper and I burned an image toa cd but the computer won't read it.Maybe I burned it wrong, I used cdrecord as a data file.I copied some .inf files from the linksys cd , it looks likethey are executable but they won't ececute. :) Any help would be appreciated.

I copied some .inf files from the linksys cd
Have a try if it helps to copy the .sys files into the same directory . . . :) Bruno

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,OK, I now have a new pci wireless card.I found it by doing a ndiswrapper -l then I googled the list for the name of a pci card to match,that way I know it will work on my machine.I purchased one online and installed it.So far so good.I proceeded to follow the instructions from this page:http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/...d,installation/I did the dmesg and the modprobe ndiswrapper. No errors and ndiswrapper was listed in the modprobe.Next I went to vector admin and system menu and network.I followed it and it found wireless cards,I clicked on it and the green light on the card came on.(I skipped a few steps in the post, but you get the picture).Then I clicked ok and my mouse froze.I did this several times and the same thing happened.I am wondering, if this is a memory problem. :) :happyroll: As you see in the first post, the two memory sticks have one Letter difference.Any suggestions???? :hug:

Then I clicked ok and my mouse froze.
You only have very little memory ( 128 MB ) in there Jim . . . . I wonder if the wireless maybe takes so much of it that it instantly freezes your computer . . . :hug: Bruno

Quote from Bruno: You only have very little memory ( 128 MB ) in there Jim . . . . I wonder if the wireless maybe takes so much of it that it instantly freezes your computer . . . That's what I was thinking.Now what?How can I connect to the internet on that computer?

That's what I was thinking.Now what?How can I connect to the internet on that computer?
User a wired connection . . . with an ethernetcard.:hug: Bruno

These are the system requirements for PCLos 2007:

An IBM PC with: * 8 GB of free disk space * 512 MB of memory * a CD or DVD drive * a network card (NIC) * a high speed internet connection
But I suppose with 374 MB ( 128 + 256 ) memory it will run as well ( PCLos 9.2 ran on 256 ) . . . . . I am only worried about the CPU, you did not mention us that one . . is it PI, PII or PIII ??:hug: Bruno

Hey Jim if you are interested tiny-me is very close to being ready, and I very excited to put it on the next old clunker I dust rid and save from the landfill. I have heard good things about it! Here is the home page. This is a build off of 2007, optimized for lower hw requirements. I think I saw a post today that test6 was out, but I don't know if it's synced yet.

Cluttermagnet
Hey Jim if you are interested tiny-me is very close to being ready, and I very excited to put it on the next old clunker I dust rid and save from the landfill. I have heard good things about it! Here is the home page. This is a build off of 2007, optimized for lower hw requirements. I think I saw a post today that test6 was out, but I don't know if it's synced yet.
I downloaded a copy of the latest Test distro. Will try it on an old Aptiva I have, what the heck.

Hello,

But I suppose with 374 MB ( 128 + 256 ) memory it will run as well ( PCLos 9.2 ran on 256 ) . . . . . I am only worried about the CPU, you did not mention us that one . . is it PI, PII or PIII ??
I am not going to use the 128+256,256 is the max for that computer.It is an eMachines etower 633ids.It has a 633 Intel Celeron processor.I bought brand new on Black Friday 1999.BTW, I finally learned how to use the:
Edited by jmjlinux586

Well... I've installed Ubuntu (using Xubuntu's alternate install disk + installing Gnome Desktop "over it") on 633 Celeron with 128 MB of RAM.It works. OK, I've seen faster computers... B) B) :hysterical: ... but it works. So... with 256 MB... it's a rocket. :P If you manage to get PCLos installed, it's gonna work... but I'd go with lighter alternatives.

Yep, Celeron should be enough CPU power to run PCLos . . . . no worries. ( It will not be super-fast . . . but try it first before looking for lighter PCLos based alternatives )B) Bruno

Well,The old computer now has 256mb memory,and PCLinuxOS 2007 installed.I now have a pci network adapter and a usb adapter,and I have cd's for both.Now I need help with my new pci wireless network card.I tried ndiswrapper and it can't see the card.I tried the control center to set up a wireless networkand it can't find the files even though I have the cd.(Now the computer ate my cd, I won't eject it yes, it is unmounted,I mounted it again and unmounted it and it still won't eject it.I guess I can eject it when I shut down.)How can I set this up?Any help will be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm pretty amazed that it is playing on my old IBM Aptiva E46, which is a relic of the Win95 era. An AMD K6 266MHz. I have 256M RAM onboard. It is quite sluggish, but it runs. Oh, that's in live CD session, BTW. Probably would run a lot smoother installed. Thanks for the info on the TinyMe distro. It looks pretty good so far. :thumbsup: BTW it also runs quite sluggish with Win98SE, the present OS loaded.