Copy partitions from 3.5" Drive to 2.5" Drive

epp_b

I would like to be able to directly copy the partitions of my 3.5" desktop hard drive to a 2.5" notebook drive. I have two removable hard drive bays on my desktop for 3.5" drives. Obviously it's not as simple as putting the 2.5" in the bay and copying them over (with PQMagic 8).Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could do this (perhaps over a network or USB connection and some type of adapter?)?

There are adapter kits readily available that will provide for the munting and connection of 2.5" HDD's into standard desktop PC's. Look here for more info... <_<

Guest ThunderRiver

If you don't want to buy cases, you can just leave to laptop on..and copying files directly through the network. check out Bart's PE Builder, if you need something with complete move over from one drive to another. Caution: Xp may not work on the second machine then because of the activation

If you don't want to buy cases, you can just leave to laptop on..and copying files directly through the network. check out Bart's PE Builder, if you need something with complete move over from one drive to another. Caution: Xp may not work on the second machine then because of the activation
copying data isn't the same as copying a partition, and copying that much (well, i dunno how much really) data over a network is rather too slow for this processget an adapter, chuck it in the dekstop and use norton ghost or a similar app to clone the desktop drive to the laptop drivenote that most laptop drives are pre-set to be master and my NOT have a way to change it - so you will need to have each drive on a seperate IDE channel (which is a good idea anyway)be sure the laptop drive is at least as big as the data in the partition you want to clone (and a little extra doesn't hurt)i.e., 10gb partition with only 3.5gb used will clone to a 4gb drive just fine (and so it will to a 20gb partition)as far as xp goes, it *may* need "reactivation" which is simply placing a call to M$ and telling them to give you a number- not a big deal but i hate the way they do that err - i better stop the rant about M$ product activation before i start itanyway, it's an easy thing to do what you are looking for :) :)

Thanks for the replies. I bought an adapter and tried it, but it didn't work }:(Oh, well. Instead, I'll have to load the DOS CD-ROM drivers from a Win98 startup disk and start from scratch (double }:) ). Oh, well, it's just more time consuming....