Google releases Linux console tool

securitybreach

securitybreach

I just ran across this really neat tool that Google released for Linux. It is basically a python script that lets you interact with some Google services from the terminal. You can do things like upload pictures to picasa, upload a blog post, add entries to you calendar, etc. all from the command line.

Ever wanted to upload a folder full of photos to Picasa from a command prompt? We did, a lot, last summer. It made us want to say:
$ google picasa create --title "My album" ~/Photos/vacation/*.jpg

So we wrote a program to do that, and a whole lot more.GoogleCL is a command-line utility that provides access to various Google services. It streamlines tasks such as posting to a Blogger blog, adding events to Calendar, or editing documents on Google Docs.For example:

$ google blogger post --blog "My blog" --tags "python, googlecl, development" my_post.html $ google calendar add "Lunch with Jason tomorrow at noon"$ google docs edit --title "Shopping list" --editor vim

GoogleCL is a pure Python application that uses the Python gdata libraries to make Google Data API calls from the command line.The project is geared towards Linux. Google offers a Linux .deb package and a tar archive for download.

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2010...-line-tool.html and here is the actual project's page http://code.google.com/p/googlecl/ There are also a bunch of example scripts hereThe package is already available in the Archlinux AUR repos and may be in other distro's repos as well. The first time you run one of the scripts, it launches firefox to ask for your login credentials. After that, it works beautifully. I just tested it out.