Modem question yet again

rolanaj

Ok I have found a modem driver for my modem at the same place as before, however there are non current for my kernel version. There is however this one: hcfpcimodem-1.01lnxt04031300full-1.i386.rpm.zip(use on RPM-based systems like Mandrake/RedHat/SuSE with custom or unsupported kernels)Would this be the one to try for PCLos? Or should I be doing something different?

Hi RolanaPCLos is based on Mandrake 9.2 . . . but are you sure the drivers for your modem are not already in ":/lib/modules/2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk/misc" . . . . ( that is where the win-modem drivers are located )I can not see on the version number of the package "hcfpcimodem-1.01lnxt04031300full-1.i386.rpm.zip" for what version of Mandrake it would fit . . :thumbsup: BrunoPS: Did you try to copy over the driver module from Drake to PCLos ? ( and put it in ":/lib/modules/2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk/misc" ?? )

PS: Did you try to copy over the driver module from Drake to PCLos ? ( and put it in ":/lib/modules/2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk/misc" ?? )
Where do I find this driver module?

In Mandrake you mean ?? . . . should be something like "/lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/kernel/drivers/net" . . . or in another directory in "/lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/kernel/drivers" . . . hope you know what it should be calledTo compaire this is what I have in "/lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/kernel/drivers/net":

3c501.o.gz             de600.o.gz     imq.o.gz          shaper.o.gz3c503.o.gz             de620.o.gz     irda/             sis900.o.gz3c505.o.gz             defxx.o.gz     lance.o.gz        sk98lin/3c507.o.gz             depca.o.gz     lne390.o.gz       skfp/3c509.o.gz             dgrs.o.gz      lp486e.o.gz       slhc.o.gz3c515.o.gz             dl2k.o.gz      mii.o.gz          slip.o.gz3c59x.o.gz             dmfe.o.gz      natsemi.o.gz      smc9194.o.gz8139cp.o.gz            dummy.o.gz     natsemi_old.o.gz  smc-ultra32.o.gz8139too.o.gz           e100/          ne2k-pci.o.gz     smc-ultra.o.gz82596.o.gz             e1000/         ne3210.o.gz       starfire.o.gz8390.o.gz              e2100.o.gz     ne.o.gz           strip.o.gzac3200.o.gz            eepro100.o.gz  ni5010.o.gz       sundance.o.gzacenic.o.gz            eepro.o.gz     ni52.o.gz         sungem.o.gzaironet4500_card.o.gz  eexpress.o.gz  ni65.o.gz         sunhme.o.gzaironet4500_core.o.gz  epic100.o.gz   ns83820.o.gz      tg3.o.gzaironet4500_proc.o.gz  eql.o.gz       pcmcia/           tlan.o.gzappletalk/             es3210.o.gz    pcnet32.o.gz      tokenring/arcnet/                eth16i.o.gz    plip.o.gz         tulip/arlan.o.gz             ethertap.o.gz  ppp_async.o.gz    tun.o.gzarlan-proc.o.gz        ewrk3.o.gz     ppp_deflate.o.gz  typhoon.o.gzat1700.o.gz            fc/            ppp_generic.o.gz  via-rhine.o.gzatp.o.gz               fealnx.o.gz    pppoe.o.gz        wan/b44.o.gz               hamachi.o.gz   pppox.o.gz        wavelan.o.gzbonding/               hamradio/      ppp_synctty.o.gz  wd.o.gzbsd_comp.o.gz          hp100.o.gz     r8169.o.gz        winbond-840.o.gzcs89x0.o.gz            hp.o.gz        rcpci.o.gz        wireless/de4x5.o.gz             hp-plus.o.gz   sb1000.o.gz       yellowfin.o.gz

If you have one not listed in my list . . it probably is that one . . . :thumbsup: :w00t: :( Bruno

I seem to have several that are not listed in your list so should I copy /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/net from mandrake9.1 which I am in now or go to the one in Mandrake 9.2 and use that one?

RolanaYou need 9.2 compatible drivers . . . copying the full directory seems a bit much, and you might over-write some you do not want to replace . . . . ( just wish you knew exactly what module you need . . :thumbsup: ) . . . but copy the missing ones.However there is no guarantee it will work thoughB) Bruno

Ok I am going to look in Mandrake 9.2 and see what is there, then I will look in PCLos. Also maybe I just havent set it up right. I went with what was installed and it seems to see my modem but when it initializes it, it seems to stall there. In Mandrake I have to run that hcfpcimodemconfig file and it sets the modem as device SHCFO.

wow in Mandrake 9.2 I only have a few of them:8021q/ bluetooth/ decnet/ ipv6/ lapb/ rose/appletalk/ bridge/ econet/ ipx/ netlink/ sched/atm/ core/ ipsec/ irda/ netrom/ wanrouter/ax25/ cryptoapi/ ipv4/ khttpd/ packet/ x25/I think that will make it easier. Well that was wrong, I just looked in PCLos and /lib/modules/2.4.23-2tmb.2mdk/kernel/net has all those files as well as one more :blink: I tried running wvdial and it cannot find a modem and asks if I have it configured properly with setserial. So it looks like I will have to configure the modem :huh:

Hi RolanaI think i found something . . can you post us the results of

cat /etc/modules.conf

from all 3 distro's ( 9.1, 9.2 and PCLos ) ??:blink: Bruno

Ok for PCLos there is no such file.Mandrake 9.1

probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsiprobeall usb-interface usb-uhciabove snd-via82xx snd-pcm-ossalias sound-slot-0 snd-via82xxalias /dev/ttySHCF[0-9]* hcfpciserialalias char-major-240 hcfpciserialalias /dev/cuaHCF[0-9]* hcfpciserialalias char-major-241 hcfpciserialalias /dev/modem hcfpciserialoptions hcfpciserial serialmajor=240 calloutmajor=241 pcivendorid=0x14F1 pcideviceid=0x1036alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia
Mandrake 9.2
$ cat /etc/modules.confalias sound-slot-0 snd-via82xxprobeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsiprobeall usb-interface usb-uhciabove snd-via82xx snd-pcm-ossalias /dev/ttySHCF[0-9]* hcfpciserialalias char-major-240 hcfpciserialalias /dev/cuaHCF[0-9]* hcfpciserialalias char-major-241 hcfpciserialalias /dev/modem hcfpciserialoptions hcfpciserial serialmajor=240 calloutmajor=241 pcivendorid=0x14F1 pcideviceid=0x1036
So maybe I need to create this file in PCLos

Bingo . . Jackpot ! . . . . You know Rolana , I woke up in the middle of the night . . must have been around 4 or 5 . . and I had this brainwave . . . LOL . . . . :huh: B) . . I was afraid that I would not remember the next morning so I posted . . . :blink: . . Now you will find a /etc/modules.conf in PCLos too . . . only in PCLos you have to be root to see it:

# cat /etc/modules.conf

You will see in PCLos it has the "alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia" line already there too . . ;)Now, I want you to add:

alias /dev/ttySHCF[0-9]* hcfpciserialalias char-major-240 hcfpciserialalias /dev/cuaHCF[0-9]* hcfpciserialalias char-major-241 hcfpciserialalias /dev/modem hcfpciserialoptions hcfpciserial serialmajor=240 calloutmajor=241 pcivendorid=0x14F1 pcideviceid=0x1036

NOTE: The last line ( options ) is 1 line . . . .:) . . all other lines have ( only ) 2 spaces in them, so they are in 3 parts !!This should bring us a lot closer to connecting your modem . . . B) :o . . . ( Your modem is a connexant modem and if any winmodem drivers are included in PCLos it surely are the connexant ones ):o Bruno

Is this not the sign of a hard-core linux geek? Dreaming answers to problems in the middle of the night and getting up to post them???? :DYou have to love such dedication! Julia :blink:

You have to love such dedication! Julia :blink:
FSLO-1079275046-809658.jpg(...zzz...Rolana's modem...zzz...Adam's hdd...zzz...Linus needs help with 2.7...zzz...)

Bravo Quint. Once again you do it. I can't imagine the library of images you must have ready at the click of a button. :)Julia :thumbsup:

you were right Bruno I had to be root. I added the text you wanted I just cut and pasted it in with vi.

alias /dev/ttySHCF[0-9]* hcfpciserialalias char-major-240 hcfpciserialalias /dev/cuaHCF[0-9]* hcfpciserialalias char-major-241 hcfpciserialalias /dev/modem hcfpciserialoptions hcfpciserial serialmajor=240 calloutmajor=241 pcivendorid=0x14F1 pcideviceid=0x1036
The modem is detected and it gets to initializing modem and just hangs there. Also if I set the device as SHCFO it cant open it, I set it as tty1 or tty2 and it can find it but if I query the modem it brings up an empty screen :thumbsup:
, I woke up in the middle of the night . . must have been around 4 or 5 . . and I had this brainwave . . . LOL . . . . . . I was afraid that I would not remember the next morning so I posted . . .
And I thought I had weird dreams B)

I set it as tty1 or tty2
Those are no good . . . but there is a way to check what "com-port" it uses . . . . Give me a few minutes to search the info . . :thumbsup: Bruno

RolanaDo you know what com port it uses in Windows ?

dos     devfs     old name major minor address COM1  /dev/tts/0  /dev/ttyS0  4,  64;   3F8COM2  /dev/tts/1  /dev/ttyS1  4,  65;   2F8COM3  /dev/tts/2  /dev/ttyS2  4,  66;   3E8COM4  /dev/tts/3  /dev/ttyS3  4,  67;   2E8

Still looking for the other info . . :thumbsup: Bruno

PART4Apparently for connexant it has to be ¨/dev/ttySHCF0¨ ( CF Zero ) . . but that is only if the installer made that /dev device . . . . So maybe you will have to use the setserial detection command . . .Or wvdial . . did that not autodectect the com port ?:thumbsup: Bruno

Or wvdial . . did that not autodectect the com port ?
Missed that last time. wvdial says the modem is busy is it in use by something else and asks if it is configured properly with setserial Looks like we might be on to something. :thumbsup:

Here is the simplified info for setserial:

To try to detect the physical hardware use for example :setserial /dev/ttyS2 -v autoconfigIf the resulting message shows a uart type such as 16550A, then you're OK. If instead it shows "unknown" for the uart type, then there is supposedly no serial port at all at that I/O address. Some cheap serial ports don't identify themselves correctly so if you see "unknown" you still might have a serial port there.
The full document is here: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html#toc10 ( very long :thumbsup: )B) Bruno

Windows says my modem is on COM3 (took a few minutes to remember how to find that info considering I havent been using windows at all lately ;) )so would this:

setserial /dev/ttyS2 -v autoconfig
be this
setserial /dev/ttyS3 -v autoconfig

Nope . . . you could do

to see if Linux sees the modem . . . ( ttyS2 is com3 )But I think it is should be enoung to do :

# rm  /dev/modem# ln  -s  /dev/ttyS2  /dev/modem

and then set kppp to /dev/modem . . . ;) Bruno

Well no luck yet says kppp cant find the device is it configured properly.

told me no such device

Maybe you were right and it should be "setserial /dev/ttyS3 -v autoconfig" ?? . . . Just try all the other options 0 - 3, including "/dev/ttySHCF0" and the "/dev/tts/0 to /dev/tts/3" . . . the modem must be somewhere . . B) Bruno

[root@localhost rolana]# setserial /dev/ttyS2 -v autoconfig/dev/ttyS2: No such file or directory
root@localhost rolana]# setserial /dev/ttyS2 -v autoconfig/dev/ttyS2: No such file or directory[root@localhost rolana]# rm  /dev/modemrm: remove symbolic link `/dev/modem'? y[root@localhost rolana]# ln  -s  /dev/ttyS2  /dev/modem[root@localhost rolana]# cat /dev/modemcat: /dev/modem: No such file or directory
Thought I would give you the actual errors I am gettingso you want me to try that setserial /dev/ttyS2 -v autoconfig cahnging the ttyS2 to the other available options and see if that works?Is there a way in Linux to see where the modem is?This command
cat /proc/pci
gives me in part this:
Bus  0, device 9, function  0:    Multimedia video controller: PCI device 14f1:8800 (Conexant) (rev 3).      IRQ 10.      Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=20.Max Lat=55.      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xee000000 [0xeeffffff].  Bus  0, device  11, function  0:    Communication controller: Conexant HCF 56k Data/Fax/Voice/Spkp Modem (rev 8).      IRQ 9.      Master Capable.  Latency=32.      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xef000000 [0xef00ffff].      I/O at 0xec00 [0xec07].  Bus  1, device 0, function  0:    VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev 161).      IRQ 11.      Master Capable.  Latency=248.  Min Gnt=5.Max Lat=1.      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xec000000 [0xecffffff].      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000 [0xe7ffffff].
does the IRQ 9 help any? This is sooooo confusing.