Windows password resets

b2cm

Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset, a core component of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack for Software Assurance, helps IT teams make PCs safer to use, keeps employees productive, and enables desktops that are easier and less expensive to manage. Administrators can easily recover PCs that have become unusable, rapidly diagnose probable causes of issues, and quickly repair unbootable or locked-out systems, all faster than the average time it takes to reimage the machine. When necessary, you can also quickly restore critical lost files.http://www.microsoft.com/windows/enterpris.../mdop/dart.aspx (Underscoring mine)Microsoft DART 6.5 has a 'Locksmith' utility for resetting passwords.

Thanks b2cm for posting. I found a link on Microsoft Technet with additional information here. The password recovery feature looks very promising. Speaking of which I don't understand why George's thread was locked even though there was not a single mention of cracking or illegal activity involved. There's a built-in Admin account in Vista that he could have used to log into the system and simply reset the locked out account. Even beforeI could post the link for it, the thread was locked. This is not so much a complaint as it is a query. Compared to other forums, this particular board seems extra cautious and even overly anal about this kind of stuff. Even Microsoft's own website has instructions that are viewable/printable for resetting user account passwords which I just pointed in this post. You don't need any secret access to visit that site - it's available to the public. I'd really like to understand what kind of liabilities issues (if any) there are in letting a discussion like that go on here.

Edited by Tushman

DART is not free but you can download the evaluation version of the program (good for 30 days, more than enough time to create the disc and reset the password).

Cluttermagnet

Thanks, b2cm, for posting this info. I was recently given a pretty good Dell computer (XPS600) with XP Media Center Edition on it. I can't get in, don't particularly care. I just shrunk XP and put an Ubuntu 10.10 partition on it, and I use that. Nicest box I've ever had the privilege to run. Well, it's home now, so perhaps, if I ever get the time, I can figure out the passwords. The wife of a dear friend who just passed away may be able to help me solve this minor riddle. He did pretty easy-to-guess passwords that usually related to the user icons the OS throws up on the login screen. But if not, knowing about this MS DaRT tool is a great find!

Thanks b2cm for posting. I found a link on Microsoft Technet with additional information here. The password recovery feature looks very promising. Speaking of which I don't understand why George's thread was locked even though there was not a single mention of cracking or illegal activity involved. There's a built-in Admin account in Vista that he could have used to log into the system and simply reset the locked out account. Even before I could post the link for it, the thread was locked. This is not so much a complaint as it is a query. Compared to other forums, this particular board seems extra cautious and even overly anal about this kind of stuff. Even Microsoft's own website has instructions that are viewable/printable for resetting user account passwords which I just pointed in this post. You don't need any secret access to visit that site - it's available to the public. I'd really like to understand what kind of liabilities issues (if any) there are in letting a discussion like that go on here.
Shoot first, ask questions later? :hysterical: Hey, if I were Scot, I'd probably be pretty conservative myself.Some areas, you just don't want to make waves...Edit: P.S. r.e. George's locked post-"There's an echo in here... There's an echo in here..." :hysterical:P.P.S Oh, ahhh... Windows 7... erm... never mind... <_<I have all the XP install disks... :yes: Edited by Cluttermagnet

For Windows XP, you can use Dart version 5 available at Brothersoft. It is a free download of an evaluation copy.For Vista/Win7 you need to be a Technet or MSDN MSDN subscriber to download version 6.5. You can also try the DaRT 7.0 Beta released for public download (requires a Windows Live ID).

Edited by b2cm

V.T. Eric Layton

I was just following the rules when I locked George's thread. Until the TOS here is amended, the Admins and Mods will continue to lock threads where any member (even if it is my own father posting from Heaven... or umm... elsewhere :hysterical: ) asks for work arounds to password locked operating systems or any other encrypted data/devices. That's just the way it is. I didn't make the rules. I just work here. As I've said before, though... PM or email assistance is YOUR business. We all know that George isn't trying to hack into a stolen MS laptop to acquire 387 mp3 files of Mel Torme's entire music catalog.It's tough being a tech forum admin/mod. You should try it some time. :yes:7-3-08-chinese-swat-segway.jpg

I was just following the rules when I locked George's thread. Until the TOS here is amended, the Admins and Mods will continue to lock threads where any member (even if it is my own father posting from Heaven... or umm... elsewhere ;) ) asks for work arounds to password locked operating systems or any other encrypted data/devices. That's just the way it is. I didn't make the rules. I just work here. As I've said before, though... PM or email assistance is YOUR business. We all know that George isn't trying to hack into a stolen MS laptop to acquire 387 mp3 files of Mel Torme's entire music catalog.It's tough being a tech forum admin/mod. You should try it some time. :(7-3-08-chinese-swat-segway.jpg
Eric, there were no bullet's being fired at you. Sorry if you took it that way - I did not mean any harm by it at all. Nor was I trying to single you out for locking the thread in question. There was another thread that was similar in request that also got locked (different admin/mod) so if was trying to point blame or single people out, then I would have mentioned that person's name. But I''m not. As I mentioned in my previous post, I didn't make the post to bitch & moan. I was more curious than anything because this board seems overly cautious and dare I say premature in locking threads where no discussion of illegal activity involved. I understand that we cannot verify the ownership of a laptop/PC from a poster on the internet who might come by and post this kind of question claiming that he or she is the owner. Whether they are the rightful or not, my question is why information like the one I mentioned on Microsoft's website forbidden from being mentioned on this forum? That is the question. The question isn't why am I making waves or why am I trying to fight the system. I'm just wondering what logical reason is there for freely available information being squashed out like a fire?

V.T. Eric Layton

Aww... I didn't feel no bullets bouncing off my kevlar, man. I was just semi-funnin' when I replied to this; hence, the Segway-riding jack-booted Scot's Staff thugs picture. ;)It's a matter of interpretation sometimes, Tush. Admins and Mods read the TOS and understand it differently sometimes. There have been threads that I would not have locked here in the past, yet other more experienced Scot's Admins did lock them. Based on past experience and actual happenings here at Scots, I make my individual calls regarding locking/not locking threads and such.With Scot's job (career), his company, his personal blogs and websites, etc. I can see why he would want to be careful about what occurs at a place that has his name attached to it. I'm not even sure who made up the TOS here. It was before my time. Maybe another more senior Admin that myself will pop in here with a better history/explanation for ya'.Later... I have to recharge my Segway now. ;)