Strange Lines on my desktop

homerhassall

Don't know if anyones ever had this problem before but just lately my desktop background sometimes (not always) has little (usually about 1cm) fine horizontal black lines in different places which when I change the background or reboot either disappear altogether or move.As I said they vary in position and length but always appear on the desktop. Kinda hard to explain.I know its not the display itself as I recently changed my monitor for a new 17" TFT and I'm still getting the problems. When you put the mouse cursor over the line it disappears but is still there on the background image.Was begining to wonder if my Graphics card has developed a fault but everything else is fine. Have just downloaded and installed the latest set of NVidea drivers but made no differenceIf anyone has any thoughts on what this may be I'd be very grateful. Only a small problems but they're the ones that bug u the most.MSI KT3 UltaXP 2600GeForce 4200768Mb RamSamsung SyncMaster 172v Win XP Pro

Although it doesn't sound like it would be the problem in this case, nearby electrical appliances (portable fan, desk lamp, etc.) can cause problems with lines on the monitor. In addition, make sure that the cable between the monitor & the box isn't bent. The cord is, of course, quite flexible, however, flexed too long in tight quarters has been known to effect the signal.

Great article, epp_b! My boss keeps a desktop fan plugged in & running next to his monitor. Needless to say, the monitor flickers constantly. It would drive me nuts.

Does the line go away when you click the show desktop button or right clicking on the desktop and hitting refresh?Does this happen right when you turn it on, when you start a certain program/do certain things, or just completely randomly?

:huh: Appears completely random and right clicking and refreshing makes no difference (Just tried it)However I changed my desktop background and the lines were in different places. Then changed to another desktop and back again and lines were still there but in different places so the lines are not in the background image itself, really weird.When I open say an explorer window the line(S) are not visible against the white window background but if I minimize to reveal the desktop they're still there in the same place. Don't think its a light issue as it happens when my desk light is off and as I said I used to get it on my previous 19" NEC CRT monitor as well as on my new 17"TFT.

I used to get it on my previous 19" NEC CRT monitor as well as on my new 17"TFT.
Did you read the article posted by epp_b? It certainly sounds similar to your problem. If you indeed have the same problem, you may want to find out what else is plugged into the same circuit, unplug everything and see if the lines disappear. If they do, then plug items back in one by one, checking the monitor after adding each. When the lines reappear, the offending item will have been identified.

Depending on your wiring, it could be something on the same circuit but not in the same room. Some detective work may be required. :lol:

I have 2 wall sockets in the same room that are about 5 feet from each other. The first one that I tried for my computer was on the same circuit as the refrigerator (which is in a different room) & the monitor was visibly affected every time the refrigerator's cooling kicked in. Moved to the plug 5 feet away & since it's on a different circuit, the problem went away! ;)----------------

affected every time the refrigerator's cooling kicked in
I was going to say every time that my refrigerator started running, but I was afraid that might lead to all sorts of juvenile jokes - you had better go chase it, and stuff like that. But we're all mature adults, right? ;)

Guest ThunderRiver

Make sure you have the newest video card driver. I had similar problem with nVidia for a long time, and after many driver updates, it finally went away.I haven't had such problem with ATI yet though.