NEW cdrecord

Bruno

Just posted in the Tips . . . but want to make sure everybody knows the new procedure in cdrecord:In a nutshell:In Mandrake 10, and probably soon in other distro's with the 2.6 kernel, first do

# dmesg | grep CD

to see what /dev/hd?? your burner is located . . and then:

# cdrecord  dev=/dev/hdc  filename.iso

That is all . . . . ( So no more "--scanbus" !! )K3b and other GUI burning tools will already be adapted to the new kernel and cdrecord software.The full story: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...14&t=503&st=255B) Bruno

Yes. It sure takes you by surprise the first time, doesn't it? :o I think I about jumped out of my seat the first time I heard it.Julia :D

K3B did a trumpeting when I finished burning a disc  in my new wonderful slick SuSE 9.1 Pro. :D
Hi JasonDon't tell me you are using K3b . . . where cdrecord is so much faster and easier . . . . in the time the k3b GUI needs to load I have my CD already burned with cdrecord :DB) Bruno

BrunoYou obviously have not used the new cdrecord. I tested it this morning burning another PCLos6 disk. It opened up K3B! I was surprised to see that!Julia :rolleyes:

I know . .if you flip in an blanc CD-RW it automatically opens K3B . . . I hate that and disabled it . . darn autorun . . I, me , myself want to be in control and not The Drake :) :DB) BrunoPS: to disable autorun selectively: Menu --> System --> Configuration --> Hardware --> CD properties :rolleyes:

Love the Auto Run in K3b especially when it comes to ISO's as it makes them bootable without me having to grope around corners to see how-toColin :rolleyes:

I know . .if you flip in an blanc CD-RW it automatically opens K3B . . . I hate that and disabled it . . darn autorun . . I, me , myself  want to be in control and not The Drake :) :DB) BrunoPS: to disable autorun selectively: Menu --> System --> Configuration --> Hardware --> CD properties :rolleyes:
Funny, if that is what it is, it did the burning I had set in the command line as I did not touch a thing in K3B!Julia :)

What are you folks raving about K3b ?? . . . . cdrecord on the commandline is much much better and faster ! :DB) Bruno

Maybe we have to update PCLos or the konsole with the cdrecord commands HU?And then see what all the fuss is about :) Colin :rolleyes:

I know . .if you flip in an blanc CD-RW it automatically opens K3B . . . I hate that and disabled it .
You were right. After going in and clearing that then cdrecord works without k3b!Julia :rolleyes:

linuxdude32
Don't tell me you are using K3b . . . where cdrecord is so much faster and easier . . . . in the time the k3b GUI needs to load I have my CD already burned with cdrecord :D
On my system (and you know how slow that is, if not, look at my info), k3b takes a whopping 20 seconds to load. You're burning ISOs in 20 seconds, Bruno? :D Besides, I'm using 12 speed CD-RWs usually (because I love my planet :thumbsup: ) so they take a bit longer to burn anyway. I've grown out of the need to use cdrecord at the command-line just as I don't need to download a new distro every day anymore. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

linuxdude32

Funny about the autorun stuff, though. Those things usually bug me, too. Everytime I insert an audio CD (to rip), kscd is loaded and it starts playing. Thanks for reminding me to go in and turn that off, though. Some people seem to really like those features, though. I know one guy who used to go on and on about how great Mandrake was because it did all those things automatically as compared with SuSE which didn't (at that time). Now SuSE does, and I'm irritated by it. :thumbsup: They should have a popup that asks you the very first time it wants to do that kind of thing if you're the type of user who wants it or not (like a 'Go Away!' button).