prob installing nvidia driver

cybormoron

good evening,i think i installed the wrong kernel source while installing the nvidia driver. it gave me 3 options. i selected the multimedia version. i'm not sure what version i started with but this apparently installed ok. now the installer can't find nvidia.ko. at this point i think i need to uninstall this kernel and install one of the other options???? is this correct and if so how do i do that?also i was unable to change the run level with "kedit". no command found. but i was able to do it with simply the command "init 3" as per the guide on the mandriva site. is "kedit" a program i'm missing?thanks

also i was unable to change the run level with "kedit". no command found. but i was able to do it with simply the command "init 3" as per the guide on the mandriva site. is "kedit" a program i'm missing?
I can answer this part. Just use any plain text editor. Kate is a good replacement if kedit isn't available or vim (vi-like editor) if you're comfortable using it.

Hy CyborI am asking myself: where did you get that kernel source from ? Is it the same version number as the kernel you boot ? And did you allow the Nvidia installer to look for a kernel on their site ? ( you should not B) ) "urpmi kedit" will install the kedit editor :D ( Mandr stopped installing it by default . . . they do install kwrite instead these days )B) Bruno

hi brunoyes i did allow the nvidia installer to look and i'm not sure if it's the correct version. i think i have 2.6-12-12 for the kernel and the source from nvidia was 2.6.2.6-12-12. i didn't really pay attention but i know better now.anyways, i uninstalled with this; "nvidia-installer --uninstall" which apparently restored me back as i was. so tonight i tried again following your guide exactly. every step worked as per the guide till the end where i restart x to test. it takes me to a red screen and warns me to log off as root. when i do it starts a new gui session or something. when i end this session i'm back to text mode as root again. so i ctrl+d to exit root and it just reboots normally. so at this point i'm confused. i think the driver is installed but it's not working.so before we go any further maybe i should ask if this will work for me. i have an nvidia geforce fx5200 card with 2 monitors plugged into it. a samsung syncmaster 204t lcd running 1600x1200 at 32 bit and a gateway vx900 crt running 1280x1024 at 32 bit. in windows i have nvidia configured for "dualview". which basically gives me a 2880 wide screen. so the question is; can i get this for linux? i'm pretty sure the linux driver has support for this card. right now linux only sees the samsung not the gateway so my second monitor is all static when i boot linux. i see that the linux driver will support "twinview" but i see no reference to "dualview". i don't want a cloned desktop. (twinview) it should be all one desktop. (dualview). so i don't know, maybe it won't work??? surely there's a way???screenhunter3312oi.th.jpg

Edited by cybormoron

Hi CyborIf you get a GUI as root ( red screen ) you should get a normal GUI when you reboot . . . . ( but once you go from runlevel 3 and startx you will get the things you are describing . . . a reboot should fix it. If not, and only if not, we will have to add "nvidia" to /etc/modprobe.preload . . you can check if that is needed if "modprobe nvidia" before starting X fixes the issue )Yes you should be able to get "Xinerama" view from the Nvidia drivers . . . just search the nVidia README for it . . . . or/and use http://www.google.com/linux to find info how to configure xorg for it. ( sometimes also called "Cinerama" )B) Bruno

i'm not sure what's going on here, bruno. when i boot i get the nvidia splash screen for about one half second. if i blink i miss it. then i get the blue kde background screen. also the display is not centered in the monitor. if i adjust the monitor then windows xp is not centered. when i go there. if this driver is installed then where is the configuration interface? also what is "modprobe nvidia"? also i get this in text mode and when shutting down; (see image). thanks screenhunter3357qw.th.jpg

Edited by cybormoron

also what is "modprobe nvidia"?
That's the command you need to enter in a terminal before starting X (go to runlevel 3 if X starts automatically). A modprobe is short for "module probe" which means to try loading the module. Bruno is saying that if that fixes things then your problem is that the nvidia driver (which is a module) isn't loading on startup. If that's the case, then you need to add it to the file to which he referred. Does that make more sense?

thanks linuxdude,that explains it a little better but what is supposed to happen when i do that? am i supposed to have a program so i can configure nvidia? is linux supposed to see my other monitor? basically what is this driver supposed to do? the only thing happening is my shutdown screen is screwed up (see above image) and my display is off center. isn't the driver supposed to give the nvidia card control over what's on my screen?

Hi CyborUsusally if you change the monitor settings in Linux it should have no impact on XP . . . so not sure what is happening there . . Did you manage the xinerama bit ??Have not seen the distorted shudown screen myself ( well only in cooker once until xorg got replaced with a new version ):thumbsup: Bruno

there's not much info in the nvidia readme about xinerama, bruno. however i did find a reference to nvidia-linux forums. there's 170 pages of posts and i ain't got a clue what to search for. i did find out how to generate a bug report and in there i see this;

(II) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s): CRT-0, CRT-1, TV-0(WW) NVIDIA(0): Multiple displays connected, but only one display allowed;(WW) NVIDIA(0): using first display
so i guess i need to find out why only one display is allowed. this could explain why i can't find an interface to configure things with. mcc hardware only gives me one monitor option. i have 2 monitors running in windows xp so it should work in linux also? i'm gonna ask those nvidia guys over there about it. thanks for looking at this anyways, guys. Edited by cybormoron

Hi CyborI know it should work with Xinerama . . . . I did read about several people who managed to do it in the past.Anyway the Nvidia forums should be able to give you an answer . . .please keep us posted ( so we get the info for later reference ):blink: BrunoPS: Donno where, but I was reading about you using the smp kernel . . . the smp kernel is for multi processors ( "smp", stands for "symetrical multi processors" )

CyborI have read several different places that the developers are dealing with a major issue there and I do believe it might be something beyond your control. Bruno - if he is running a hyperthread processor, then he is fine with the smp.

sorry bruno, i edited my previous post about the smp kernel. i had posted this;

[cybormoron@localhost ~]$ uname -r2.6.12-12mdksmp[cybormoron@localhost ~]$
i guess i decided i didn't want to ask about that rather i wanted to say something else.so anyways, i got a response over there referring me to the nvidia readme. it looks like my solution might be in there but i don't really understand how to apply it. maybe some complicated editing of my xorg conf file? i shall find out. the thread is here if you'd like to follow it; http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58558my nicname there is cybrsteve. cybormoron didn't seem funny enough.

just some idle chat. i suppose i could accomplish what i want with the "virtual desktops" but i've gotten used to 2 monitors. it's nice to edit an image full screen with all the tool palettes on the second monitor. besides, it's too hard to move the cursor down and click on another desktop. it's easier just to glance over, looooooool. wanna see what i'm currently drooling over; i'm saving my pennies for that four panel tiled hookup. about 5,000 us dollars should do it.http://www.viewsonic.com/multipanelsetup/index.htmhere's an old screen shot i posted somewhere that shows 2 different resolutions and wallpapers on my other os.http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=desktop4qu.jpghere's another shot where i was playing with yahoo widgets;http://img119.imageshack.us/my.php?image=widgets3lm.jpg

Edited by cybormoron

sorry bruno, i edited my previous post about the smp kernel. i had posted this;i guess i decided i didn't want to ask about that rather i wanted to say something else.so anyways, i got a response over there referring me to the nvidia readme. it looks like my solution might be in there but i don't really understand how to apply it. maybe some complicated editing of my xorg conf file? i shall find out. the thread is here if you'd like to follow it; http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58558my nicname there is cybrsteve. cybormoron didn't seem funny enough.
Thanks . . will keep an eye on it !!B) BrunoPS: Love the viewsonic setups :flowers: :angry:

I installed "yanc" rpm (yet another nvidia configurator) and it is similiar to XP app. The best one IMHO is "nvclock" rpm.As root user, type in run command, yanc or nvclock and make ones adjustments.I use Nvidia 5500 256mb ram.l33tman

CHA CHING, TADAi added and changed some lines in my xorg conf file to get a "TwinView" desktop 3200x1200.here's a shot;fullscreen19wf.th.pnghey guys, where might i find this yanc? i don't seem to find it in mcc and root console tells me it doesn't exist or i don't have permission.

Edited by cybormoron

Hi CyborCongrats on the brilliant result ! :thumbup:If you used the MCC to install Yanc from PLF the executable to start it should be in "/usr/bin/yanc":D Bruno