Core 2 Duo official launches July 27

Peachy

Core 2 Duo - Ready to buy?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Intel will officially launch the Core 2 Duo processor tomorrow (and it is rumoured that 'Merom' the mobile version of C2D will also be announced, too!) If you have been reading the hardware sites over the last 6 weeks you will know that this new CPU smokes everything including AMD's FX-62. Consider this: a processor that is 1 GHz slower than the current high-end AMD/Intel parts but performs 40-50% faster. And it runs with power specs (65W) lower than the Pentium D (95W) and Pentium 4 HT (86W) though not as good as a Core Duo mobile processor (31W). What's not to like about this? Plus, the prices are gonna be insanely low for them:E6300 1.86GHz - $183E6400 2.13GHz - $224E6600 2.40GHz - $316E6700 2.67Ghz - $530Chances are you probably won't be wanting the Extreme Edition X6800 2.93GHz priced at $999. B)

Actually the Extreme Edition is the only one I would consider. ;) That's because it would not be for my computer but for daughter's animation computer. It is probably time to tweak that a bit. B)

Intel will officially launch the Core 2 Duo processor tomorrow (and it is rumoured that 'Merom' the mobile version of C2D will also be announced, too!) If you have been reading the hardware sites over the last 6 weeks you will know that this new CPU smokes everything including AMD's FX-62. Consider this: a processor that is 1 GHz slower than the current high-end AMD/Intel parts but performs 40-50% faster. And it runs with power specs (65W) lower than the Pentium D (95W) and Pentium 4 HT (86W) though not as good as a Core Duo mobile processor (31W). What's not to like about this? Plus, the prices are gonna be insanely low for them:E6300 1.86GHz - $183E6400 2.13GHz - $224E6600 2.40GHz - $316E6700 2.67Ghz - $530Chances are you probably won't be wanting the Extreme Edition X6800 2.93GHz priced at $999. ;)
I'll wait until somebody writes some software that I can use that takes advantage of Dual Cores. I'm still waiting ( ten years or so?) for something to take advantage of Dual Processor MBs. So far that is only in super computers and enterprise servers. Edited by lewmur

Bought the new CPU's to build a computer for a customer.3GHz Dual Core 2x 2MB Cachewith 1024MB DDR2 Kingston 533MHzP5LD2 SE motherboardI have to say, when installed and starting the computer.U see this black windows screen with a small bar.The bar wont even reach the end and I am already on my desktop :D I love this new CPU but I am sure AMD will come up with something even better.I am still waiting on Vive. Intel stuff, dont know if you guys heard about it.You press the POWER button of your pc, 3 seconds later you are AT your desktop fully loaded and ready to go. A new chip on the motherboard specially for watching DVD's and stuff.Normally with a dual screen (monitor + tv) you can put a DVD on and meanwhile play a game, but both will be consumed from your CPU. With the new chip all video go's 100% trough the chip and NO CPU resources are taken. So its pritty neat if you ask me.

Photoshop? Adobe Premiere? And if you run a Linux Xen kernel you can run XP as a Xen guest in full virtualization mode.
None of the above. I want something that will allow faster database searches by splitting the tasks of analysing complex SQL statements.

I'll wait until somebody writes some software that I can use that takes advantage of Dual Cores.
Most if not all apps today are multi threaded...Windows and Linux both support multi processors...It's not going to get any better than that...3Dmax went a step further... They created network rendering... back in the 90's! Not just multi CPUs but multi CPUs accross the network.

Ok. I'm confused. Then again, what's new. I just ordered a new MacPowerbook. It has a Core Duo. What's the difference between a Core 2 Duo and a Core Duo. I could not find Core Duo when I went to the compare chart on the Intel website. Care to fill me in?

You won't find any Apple MacBook Pros or other Mac products with the Core 2 Duo processor yet. They should be announced later this month. The mobile Core 2 Duo, code-named Merom, hasn't shipped yet, just announced. Core Duo was the new Intel processor based on the Yonah architecture. It was the first desktop/mobile processor meant to replace the Pentium 4 (Northwoods and Presslers, etc.) It is based on Intel's older Pentium M processors used in current non Core notebooks. Core 2 Duo for the Desktop was called Conroe and was shipped last Thursday. The mobile equivalent was called Merom. These are the second generation processors of which Yonah or Core Duo was the first. And they blow everything that came before it, AMD and Intel. In other words, these babies are nearly 40% faster than the AMD FX-62 and Intel Pentium D EE and use about 40% less power. The Core Duos run on a 667MHz FSB whereas the Core 2 Duo run on a 1066MHz FSB. The Core Duo was released only in the Socket 479 configuration, i.e., a notebook form-factor, although there are a couple of Desktop motherboards that were designed to use it. The Core 2 Duo is a Socket 775 and the Socket 479 mobile version. The Core has processor product numbers like T2500 whereas the Core 2 has product numbers like E6700.Starting in late 2005 Intel rebranded their processors and dropped the Pentium name. Henceforth, all new Intel processors released since January 2006 are called Core. There was Core Duo and Core Solo. Next up are Core 2 Duo and most likely a Core 2 Solo.

• 1 month later...

Just built a Core 2 Duo (E6400) system for my wife last week.Paired it with a DFI INFINITY 975X Motherboard, 2 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, and a GeForce 6900GS PCI-E video card.I'm quite pleased. I'd read some horror stories about compatibility issues with motherboards and RAM, but everything installed beautifully and booted the first time with no major tweaks involved.This machine is FAST!!!! It's a much bigger jump in speed than I expected. I also recommend the GeForce 6900GS as a great mid-range video card. It's running games like Titan Quest and Guild Wars at high resolution with all details/shadows/anti-aliasing turned all the way up. I had always been an AMD guy, but after building this system, I'm much more open to Intel's chips - especially when they're so much faster for the same amount of money (or less).