dazuko perplexity

atiustira

HiI am trying to get a understanding. Of what I am seeing, and why.I am running a antivirus called AntiVir by H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH.I've been told it's not necessary on Linux. But I feel better running it. Oh the version I am running is Mandrake 9.1 . With a KDE desktop.I have compiled dazuko-2.0.0-pre4 into the kernal. And it is providingreal time scans. Instead of just command line virus scans.What I am seeing is this.When I boot the system up. Everything runs fine except that. If I try toaccess my Zip 100 or floppy drive. The window for it opens,but then freezes.With something like nonemount showing in the Location bar. Sometimes itfreezes the whole desktop. To the point of not being able to click on any Icons. Only the k gear in the task bar works. When I click on that and chooselog out,turn off computer. That runs right up to power down and then hangs.I am not sure but the drive problems look alot like the same problems.I was having when I tried to run Mandrake 10.The work around I have been using is booting the system.Then opening a terminal su to root. cd to the antvir directory.Run antir stop. After doing that if I put a Zip disc in the Zip drive.Then click on the desktop Zip Icon. I can access the drive and Zip disc.I then repeat that proccess with the floppy drive. And can then access it.I go back to the terminal that is still in the antivir dir.And run antivir rerun. And the antivir restarts.And I can now run antivir untill I reboot, and access all drives. While it is running. The only problem. Is that if I try to shut the system down.Without opening a terminal and going to the antivir dir. And runningantivir stop. The system hangs on power down. Stopping antivir first correctsthis,and will allow the system to stop normal.Is this some kind of a pid problem? And is there any way this could be related to Mandrake 10 also. As the problem seem simular. Thanks atiustira

Hi AtiusI will need more time to look into this, and I will do so as I come back from work later today . . . . . . I have no idea what "dazuko" is . . . . maybe you can give me a link for some info about it ?:thumbsdown: Bruno

Hi BrunoThanks for the reply. Dazuko is a device driver for file access control.Antivir plugs into it. It can be configured to scan a file when it is opened.Or closed. Or both. Also it can detect when a executable is ran.I have AntiVir set to scan,when a file is opened right now.Here is a link to the Dazuko site. Hope the link works. You may need to copy and paste.http://www.dazuko.org/index.shtml Thanks again :thumbsdown:

Have you tried another virus scanner Like F-Prot (Free) or Virexia (Commercial) It sounds almost like the virus scanner is trying to block access to the drives (Floppy and Zip). Most virus scanners will detect and block anything that trys to write to the boot sector of most drives. Perhaps the virus scanner needs to be reconfigured because it dosn't know how to handle access to a floppy or Zip drive in Linux and freezes up.Mel B)

Hi AtiusI think I found at least part of the problem: http://www.dazuko.org/faq.shtml#11 . . .

all applications using Dazuko should be terminated before the system shuts down. This is usually implemented with runlevel control scripts.
My guess is that you have to re-number a few symlinks in the /etc/rc6.d so dazuko gets shut down before any other process is.B) Bruno

Have you tried another virus scanner Like F-Prot (Free) or Virexia (Commercial) It sounds almost like the virus scanner is trying to block access to the drives (Floppy and Zip).
If you are interested in other programs, these are good ones. I also like ClamAV (free). However, these will only provide you with a console-run scan, not real time / built into the kernel stuff that you are using B)

Hi and thanks for the reply,mhbell,Bruno,and SonicDragon.Mhbell I have tried f-prot,and really like it. I have been using it for a long time years. I like there DOS scanner for the other older OS's. But I am not using it now on my Mandrake 9.1 install. I have'nt tried Virexia. Could you pm me with info. So as not to get this thread going in a different direction. :)Thanks.Bruno :)Thanks for the link to the FAQ. That is how I figured out to shut off Antivirbefore trying to shut off the system,and stumbled apon the ability to accessthe drives with it shut off. I read alot. There is alot to read tho. And sometimes my retention is not quite what it should be and I sometimes get lost in the volumes of info.Thank you for the /etc/rc6.d tip. There are alot of symlinks in there,that looklike they could get me in deep trouble. If I give them the wrong permissions.Or point them in the wrong direction. That is just how it looks to me. Please correct me if I am wrong.I learned that if I do a find through the menu applications,File tools,Find Files. For a symlink. Then right click on the file in the find files window.Chose properties. That I can find out were the symlink points to. Is there easier way to find out were a symlink points to?How could I safely test the numbering or renumbering of the symlinks. So dazuko gets shut down first?I dont really mind opening a terminal and shutting off the AV first tho.What I have more of a problem with is the AV or dazuko some how blocking access to my drives. And since the problem looks (at least the symptoms)very simualar to the problems I had while trying to run Mandrake 10. I am thinking there is some kind of a clue there. But my experience is not great enough yet to understand it. Thanks again Bruno :)SonicDragon I like ClamAV itis a great AV and is updated often. I think it can be plugged into dazuko. But I dont want to try that quite yet.I know that sometimes the detection dat files are different for different AV.And sometimes one can see a virus that another one cant because of this.And I plan on also running some command line scanners in the future.But not untill I get the current AV problem settled. Thanks again SonicDragon :P

Hi AtiusJuggling with the symlinks in /etc/rc6.d is indeed a risky business . . but the main thing is to see if there is a link to the Dazuko program in there and only renumber that one . . . and if there is none we will have to make one.Seeing where a link links to is fairly simple just do

$ ls -al /etc/rc6.d/

and you will see what I mean . . . . See, if we know how to shutdown Dazuko and can make a little script to shut it down and then make a link starting with, for example, "K04", then it will be the first in line to shut down ( K is for "kill" the number is the order of killing . . . . S is for start ):thumbsup: Bruno

Hi Bruno :lol:

$ ls -al /etc/rc6.d/

That was exactly what I was looking for :D There is no link to dazuko. In there that I can see.I can post the out put if you want. But there is a link to avguard. And avguard is a AntiVir shell script that takes input. Like start stop and restart. And it has something to do with pid's. I am not that good with scripting yet. But from looking at the vars,it looks like what I might want to use. I can also post that if you want to look at it.I agree with you that dazuko is a program. Athough I was wondering if since itrequired the kernal source code when I compiled it,if it is part of the kernal.And AntiVir has scan daemons running,and using it. Will it be OK to shut it off.While AntiVir is running.Oh allmost forgot. dazuko is in the dev drectory. And has a icon that looks likea drive icon.Thank you so very very much Bruno. Your help is truely appreciated :) atiustira

Hi AtiusYep I would like to see the "ls -al /etc/rc.d/rc6.d" ( reboot ) and also "ls -al /etc/rc.d/rc0.d" ( shutdown ) so I can compare and see if we are not missing anything.Also I would like to see the avguard script the link is pointing to.

dazuko is in the dev drectory
That is pretty special . . . I wonder why it is seen as a device . . . . maybe you better show me the "ls -al" to that device too . . . :) . . . ( "ls -al /dev/dazuko" ) maybe there is something to see in the permissions.:D BrunoPS: In case you wonder: "/etc/rc6.d" is a link to "/etc/rc.d/rc6.d" . . . :lol:

Thank you sooooooo very much Bruno B) Sorry this is so huge.-------------------------------------------------------------------

[root@localhost tony]# ls -al /etc/rc.d/rc6.dtotal 8drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jul 31 04:45 ./drwxr-xr-x   10 root     root         4096 Jul 12 22:52 ../lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           19 Jul 12 22:59 K00linuxconf -> ../init.d/linuxconf*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Jul 12 23:17 K05keytable -> ../init.d/keytable*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           12 Jul 12 22:52 K09dm -> ../init.d/dm*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Jul 12 23:00 K10devfsd -> ../init.d/devfsd*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Jul 12 23:21 K10ntpd -> ../init.d/ntpd*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Jul 12 22:54 K10xfs -> ../init.d/xfs*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Jul 12 23:01 K15numlock -> ../init.d/numlock*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Jul 16 05:15 K20avguard -> /usr/lib/AntiVir/avguard*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           26 Jul 16 04:57 K20avupdater -> /usr/lib/AntiVir/avupdater*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Jul 12 23:17 K20kheader -> ../init.d/kheader*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Jul 12 22:52 K20partmon -> ../init.d/partmon*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Jul 12 23:17 K44rawdevices -> ../init.d/rawdevices*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Jul 12 23:19 K45tmdns -> ../init.d/tmdns*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Jul 12 22:53 K50xinetd -> ../init.d/xinetd*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Jul 12 23:01 K55routed -> ../init.d/routed*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Jul 12 23:00 K60atd -> ../init.d/atd*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Jul 12 23:17 K60crond -> ../init.d/crond*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           19 Jul 12 22:56 K60saslauthd -> ../init.d/saslauthd*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Jul 12 23:25 K69sound -> ../init.d/sound*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Jul 12 23:29 K70alsa -> ../init.d/alsa*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Jul 12 23:17 K75netfs -> ../init.d/netfs*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Jul 12 23:17 K80random -> ../init.d/random*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Jul 12 22:59 K86nfslock -> ../init.d/nfslock*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Jul 12 23:17 K88syslog -> ../init.d/syslog*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Jul 31 04:45 K89internet -> ../init.d/internet*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Jul 12 23:17 K90network -> ../init.d/network*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           19 Jul 14 02:35 K90shorewall -> ../init.d/shorewall*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Jul 12 22:59 K92iptables -> ../init.d/iptables*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           19 Jul 12 23:01 K95harddrake -> ../init.d/harddrake*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           23 Jul 12 22:59 K99switchprofile -> ../init.d/switchprofile*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Jul 12 22:52 S00killall -> ../init.d/killall*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Jul 12 22:52 S01reboot -> ../init.d/halt*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Jul 16 05:15 S20avguard -> /usr/lib/AntiVir/avguard*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           26 Jul 16 04:57 S20avupdater -> /usr/lib/AntiVir/avupdater*[root@localhost tony]#

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[root@localhost tony]# ls -al /etc/rc.d/rc0.dtotal 8drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jul 31 04:45 ./drwxr-xr-x   10 root     root         4096 Jul 12 22:52 ../lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           19 Jul 12 22:59 K00linuxconf -> ../init.d/linuxconf*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Jul 12 23:17 K05keytable -> ../init.d/keytable*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           12 Jul 12 22:52 K09dm -> ../init.d/dm*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Jul 12 23:00 K10devfsd -> ../init.d/devfsd*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Jul 12 23:21 K10ntpd -> ../init.d/ntpd*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Jul 12 22:54 K10xfs -> ../init.d/xfs*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Jul 12 23:01 K15numlock -> ../init.d/numlock*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Jul 16 05:15 K20avguard -> /usr/lib/AntiVir/avguard*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           26 Jul 16 04:57 K20avupdater -> /usr/lib/AntiVir/avupdater*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Jul 12 23:17 K20kheader -> ../init.d/kheader*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Jul 12 22:52 K20partmon -> ../init.d/partmon*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Jul 12 23:17 K44rawdevices -> ../init.d/rawdevices*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Jul 12 23:19 K45tmdns -> ../init.d/tmdns*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Jul 12 22:53 K50xinetd -> ../init.d/xinetd*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Jul 12 23:01 K55routed -> ../init.d/routed*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Jul 12 23:00 K60atd -> ../init.d/atd*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Jul 12 23:17 K60crond -> ../init.d/crond*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           19 Jul 12 22:56 K60saslauthd -> ../init.d/saslauthd*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Jul 12 23:25 K69sound -> ../init.d/sound*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Jul 12 23:29 K70alsa -> ../init.d/alsa*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Jul 12 23:17 K75netfs -> ../init.d/netfs*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Jul 12 23:17 K80random -> ../init.d/random*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Jul 12 22:59 K86nfslock -> ../init.d/nfslock*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Jul 12 23:17 K88syslog -> ../init.d/syslog*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Jul 31 04:45 K89internet -> ../init.d/internet*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Jul 12 23:17 K90network -> ../init.d/network*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           19 Jul 14 02:35 K90shorewall -> ../init.d/shorewall*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Jul 12 22:59 K92iptables -> ../init.d/iptables*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           19 Jul 12 23:01 K95harddrake -> ../init.d/harddrake*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           23 Jul 12 22:59 K99switchprofile -> ../init.d/switchprofile*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Jul 12 22:52 S00killall -> ../init.d/killall*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Jul 12 22:52 S01halt -> ../init.d/halt*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Jul 16 05:15 S20avguard -> /usr/lib/AntiVir/avguard*lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           26 Jul 16 04:57 S20avupdater -> /usr/lib/AntiVir/avupdater*[root@localhost tony]#

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

[root@localhost tony]# ls -al /dev/dazukocrw-------    1 root     root     254,   0 Dec 31  1969 /dev/dazuko

-----------------------------------------------------------------------Here is the shell script-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#!/bin/sh## Start/Stop AvGuard## Copyright 2002 H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH#PATH="/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin"DEVNAME="dazuko"DAEMONNAME="antivir"AVDIR="/usr/lib/AntiVir"DEVFILE="/dev/$DEVNAME"DAEMON="$AVDIR/$DAEMONNAME"KVER=linux-$(uname -r)if [ "$(uname -a | grep SMP)" ]; then	KVER=$KVER-smpfiKMODULE="$AVDIR/$KVER/$DEVNAME.o"GUARD_TYPE="workstation"case "$1" in	start)  echo -n "Starting AntiVir: avguard-$GUARD_TYPE"  if [ ! -z "$(ps axw | grep $DAEMONNAME.*[-]-$GUARD_TYPE)" ]  then 	 echo " (FAILED)" 	 echo " " 	 echo "error: $DAEMONNAME is already running" 	 echo " " 	 $0 status 	 exit 1  fi  DEV=$(grep $DEVNAME /proc/devices)  if [ -z "$DEV" ]  then 	 if [ ! -f $KMODULE ] 	 then    echo " (FAILED)"    echo " "    echo "error: $KMODULE is missing"    echo " "    exit 1 	 fi 	 if [ ! -z "$(grep $DEVNAME /proc/modules)" ] 	 then    echo " (FAILED)"    echo " "    echo "error: $DEVNAME already loaded"    echo " "    exit 1 	 fi 	 insmod -x $KMODULE 	 DEV=$(grep $DEVNAME /proc/devices) 	 if [ -z "$DEV" ] 	 then    echo " (FAILED)"    echo " "    echo "error: device $DEVNAME not loaded"    echo "Was Dazuko correctly installed?"    echo " "    exit 1 	 fi  fi  if [ -c $DEVFILE ]  then 	 rm -f $DEVFILE  fi  set -- $DEV  DEVMAJOR=$1  mknod -m 600 $DEVFILE c $DEVMAJOR 0  chown root:root $DEVFILE  if [ $? -ne 0 ]  then 	 rmmod $DEVNAME 	 echo " (FAILED)" 	 echo " " 	 echo "error: could not create node $DEVFILE" 	 echo "Please send a problem description to linux_support@antivir.de" 	 echo "Very helpful would be the output of 'uname -a' and the name of" 	 echo "your Linux distribution." 	 echo " " 	 exit 1  fi  $DAEMON --$GUARD_TYPE  if [ $? -ne 0 ]  then 	 rmmod $DEVNAME 	 echo " (FAILED)" 	 echo " " 	 echo "error: $DAEMON failed" 	 echo "See log files for details." 	 echo " " 	 exit 1  fi  # let the kernel settle down  sleep 1  echo "."	;;	stop)  echo -n "Stopping AntiVir: avguard-$GUARD_TYPE"  if [ ! -z "$(grep $DEVNAME /proc/devices)" ]  then 	 FOUND=0 	 for PROC in $(ps axw -o "pid= command=" | grep $DAEMONNAME.*[-]-$GUARD_TYPE) 	 do    if [ "${PROC%%[!0123456789]*}" = "$PROC" ]    then   	 FOUND=1   	 kill -15 $PROC    fi 	 done 	 if [ $FOUND -eq 1 ] 	 then    sleep 1 	 fi 	 FOUND=0 	 for PROC in $(ps axw -o "pid= command=" | grep $DAEMONNAME.*[-]-$GUARD_TYPE) 	 do    if [ "${PROC%%[!0123456789]*}" = "$PROC" ]    then   	 FOUND=1   	 kill -9 $PROC    fi 	 done 	 if [ $FOUND -eq 1 ] 	 then    sleep 1 	 fi 	 if [ ! -z "$(grep $DEVNAME /proc/modules)" ] 	 then    rmmod $DEVNAME    if [ $? -ne 0 ]    then   	 echo " (FAILED)"   	 echo " "   	 exit 1    fi 	 fi  fi  echo "."	;;	restart)  $0 stop  $0 start	;;	status)  echo -n "AntiVir Status: avguard-$GUARD_TYPE "  if [ -z "$(grep $DEVNAME /proc/devices)" ]  then 	 echo -n "(not loaded)" 	 RC=3  else 	 COUNT=0 	 MODS=$(cat /proc/modules) 	 set -- $MODS 	 while [ $# -gt 0 ] 	 do    if [ "$1" = "dazuko" ]    then   	 COUNT=$3   	 set --   	 test $COUNT -eq 0   	 if [ $? -gt 1 ]   	 then      echo " (FAILED)"      echo " "      echo "error: unable to read from $DEVNAME module"      echo "Please send a problem description to linux_support@antivir.de"      echo "Very helpful would be the output of 'uname -a' and the name of"      echo "your Linux distribution."      echo " "      $0 stop      exit 4   	 fi    else   	 shift    fi 	 done 	 if [ $COUNT -ge 1 ] 	 then    echo -n "(running with $COUNT scan daemons)"    RC=0 	 else    echo -n "(loaded but no scan daemons)"    RC=3 	 fi  fi  echo "."  exit $RC	;;	*)  echo "usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|status}"  exit 1	;;esacexit 0

----------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks again. I have been wrestling with this for a while.And I really appreciate the help :) atiustira

Hi AtiusThere are several problems with this setup, and the first one that jumps to my eye is that there is only one script to start/stop/restart the avguard . . . what means that just before the real shutdown the avguard is actually restarted . . this messes up the full shutdown process because modules are reloaded at a very aukward moment.And if you have a close look at the rc.d files . . . the guard is Killed at K20 but started again after the last K at S20 ( even after Killall S10 )This is absolutely odd at the least.So my suggestion is to start the tweaks with removing the:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Jul 16 05:15 S20avguard lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           26 Jul 16 04:57 S20avupdater

Then checking the reboot/shutdown procedure . . and if needed after the test: moving forward these lines:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Jul 16 05:15 K20avguardlrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           26 Jul 16 04:57 K20avupdater

So what do you think ? . . We have stored the original layout here on the forum so we can always restore the situation.Also just take the /etc/rc.d/rc0.d . . . and leave the reboot ( rc6.d ) till we know that it works . . . Here is how to remove the first two:

# rm /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/S20avguard# rm /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/S20avupdater

Now check the shutdown and let me know if we have to take the next step.B) BrunoActually I would like if someone could make a script form the avguard-script you posted that ONLY shuts down . . . not restart and starts as well.PS: Atius . . I know I am a voice in the desert . . . but would you please read: This ??

Thanks BrunoI did this.

# rm /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/S20avguard# rm /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/S20avupdater
Still hangs at shut down. At terminate all processes.The other OD thing is that the antivir updated it's self at the normal time.And everything seemed normal. Except I found that I could not open any files.Including Home afterwards. A error would pop up saying something like.Klauncher could not load due to a mcop error.Rebooting restored access.I have a copy of those files we removed. Ona zip disc if they need to be reinstalled.I read the link that you posted. About the cheese and stainless steel.I fully agree with you. But if I could please PM you there are some personal things I would like to talk about. That have shaken me up.I understand your beliefs. And that is why I think that it is a magnanimousgesture on your part to even try and help me work through this :rolleyes: Thank you Bruno >_< atiustira

I have a copy of those files we removed. Ona zip disc if they need to be reinstalled.
Copies of sym-links are no good Atius . . . but a new symlink is quickly made so that is no problem.
Klauncher could not load due to a mcop error.Rebooting restored access.
This sometimes happens on all systems . . rebooting is indeed the trick . . . and this has nothing to do with the avguard or dazuko.But not really clear to me, reading your post, is if we made any progress at all by removing those symlinks . . ( ?? )Shall I post you the commands to work on the other 2 symlinks:
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Jul 16 05:15 K20avguardlrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           26 Jul 16 04:57 K20avupdater

My project is to make them K10avguard and k10avupdater ( or maybe even K05 )

But if I could please PM you
Sure you can Atius . . . !!! :DB) Bruno

Hello and thanks again.Was the test supposed to be if system hung on shut down. Or was there something else I was supposed to be looking for to test if the first step worked? If it was hanging on shut down that I was suposed to look for yes it did. Still hanging on shut down.atius

AtiusYep it was the hanging on shutdown. . . . ( not reboot ! ) :(I will post new instructions in the morning :)B) Bruno

PART 2Here is the next step:Again we only take the shutown function and not the reboot for the test . . . we first remove the old links:

# rm /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K20avguard# rm /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K20avupdater

Then we make new ones

# ln -s  /usr/lib/AntiVir/avguard  /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K05avguard# ln -s  /usr/lib/AntiVir/avupdater  /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K05avupdater

You see I replaced them with exactly the same links but then to start at 05 and not at 20 . . . . . Now shutdown and see if it still hangs. ( only try shutdown . . the reboot has not yet been hampered with :wacko: )If it still does, I want you to try if in the case avguard is not started at all during start . . .if it then still hangs on shutdown, because that would mean we are looking in the wrong direction and maybe something went wrong in the kernel compile you did to include dazuko in the kernel.:'( Bruno

HmmTried that but it gave me this.

[tony@localhost tony]$ suPassword:[root@localhost tony]# ln -s  /usr/lib/AntiVir/avguard  /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K05avguardln: creating symbolic link ` /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K05avguard' to ` /usr/lib/AntiVir/avguard': No such file or directory[root@localhost tony]# ln -s  /usr/lib/AntiVir/avupdater[root@localhost tony]# ln -s  /usr/lib/AntiVir/avupdater  /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K05avupdaterln: creating symbolic link ` /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K05avupdater' to ` /usr/lib/AntiVir/avupdater': No such file or directory[root@localhost tony]#

I know the file and directory are there.Not sure were to go from here. Maybe KOS? atiustira

Sorry spoke to soon :wacko: Bruno after running the above commands. The system still hangs.When shutting down if I do'nt shut AntiVir off from the command line.After su to root. But I noticed that after running the commands,as seen in the above post. Now I can access my zip and floppy with out having to su and shut off AntiVir first. I dont understand what I just saw. Or why it works now.But this is definately what I was looking for. Thanks atiustira

So we did make progress didn't we ?? . . Only not on the shutdown yet . . . Anyway I would start with doing the same commands in rc6.d . . so both rc0.d and rc6.d look the same, so:

# rm /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/S20avguard# rm /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/S20avupdater# rm /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K20avguard# rm /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K20avupdater# ln -s  /usr/lib/AntiVir/avguard  /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K05avguard# ln -s  /usr/lib/AntiVir/avupdater  /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K05avupdater

After that I want to see

$ cat /etc/rc.d/rc.modules

Because we still want to tackle the shutdown problem . . . ;):D Bruno

Hi BrunoI did this from a console.

[root@localhost tony]# cd /etc/rc.d/rc6.d[root@localhost rc6.d]# rm /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/S20avguardrm: remove symbolic link `/etc/rc.d/rc6.d/S20avguard'?[root@localhost rc6.d]# rm /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/S20avupdaterrm: remove symbolic link `/etc/rc.d/rc6.d/S20avupdater'?[root@localhost rc6.d]# rm /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K20avguardrm: remove symbolic link `/etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K20avguard'?[root@localhost rc6.d]# rm /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K20avupdaterrm: remove symbolic link `/etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K20avupdater'?[root@localhost rc6.d]# ln -s  /usr/lib/AntiVir/avguard  /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K05avguardln: creating symbolic link ` /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K05avguard' to ` /usr/lib/AntiVir/avguard': No such file or directory[root@localhost rc6.d]# ln -s  /usr/lib/AntiVir/avupdater  /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K05avupdaterln: creating symbolic link ` /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K05avupdater' to ` /usr/lib/AntiVir/avupdater': No such file or directory

I am a little nervous about the ( No such file or directory) warning.When recreating the symbolic links.Here is the cat of rc.modules .

[root@localhost rc6.d]# cat /etc/rc.d/rc.modules#!/bin/sh# (c) MandrakeSoft, Chmouel Boudjnah <chmouel@mandrakesoft.com># $Id: rc.modules,v 1.1.1.1 2000/07/30 05:07:38 chmouel Exp $# description: launch modules specified in /etc/modules inspired by a# Debian idea.[ -f /etc/modules ] || exit 0# Loop over every line in /etc/modules.(cat /etc/modules; echo) | while read module argsdo  case "$module" in      \#*|"") continue;;  esac  initlog -s "Loading module: $module"  modprobe $module $args >/dev/null 2>&1done[root@localhost rc6.d]#

Do we still looka ok so far? Thank you atiustira

Hi AtiusWell not exactly going according to plan . . . . do you remember last time the making of the links failed too ? But the second time you tried them they were successfull ? You do need those links in there, just on a different place then they were originally.The /etc/rc.d/rc.modules does not help much . . . . maybe if we have a look in /etc/modules.conf . .

cat /etc/modules.conf

:) Bruno

Hi Bruno B) I hope you are having a good day!I remember before yes. When it worked the second time. For zip access, any way. Just trying to be helpfull and point out any thing I see that looks unusual.I think you are a genius. It's got to be very hard to work on a Linux system that is not in front of you (physical access). Thanks again! Counting on your experience. :thumbsup: Heres the cat modules

[root@localhost tony]# cat /etc/modules.confprobeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi ataraidalias eth0 tulipabove snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-ossalias sound-slot-0 audigyprobeall usb-interface usb-uhcialias eth1 8139too[root@localhost tony]#

Respectfully yours atiustira

The modules.conf does not show any clue either . . . :thumbsup: . . looks perfect to me.Next file I want to see:

# cat /etc/modprobe.conf

B) Bruno

Hi Here is the cat modprobe

[root@localhost tony]# cat /etc/modprobe.confcat: /etc/modprobe.conf: No such file or directory[root@localhost tony]#

Thanks atiustira

AtiusThat is impossible !! . . You must have that file !Please check again: "cat /etc/modprobe.conf"Or . . . . maybe with an older kernel you have /etc/modules ? . . try "cat /etc/modules":hmm: Bruno

Hi BrunoChecked no modprobe.confBut this worked

[root@localhost tony]# cat /etc/modules# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.## This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with# a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.scsi_hostadapter[root@localhost tony]#

atiustira

Hi BrunoDoing a lsmod

[root@localhost tony]# lsmodModule                  Size  Used by    Not taintedudf                    90464   0  (autoclean)r128                   83576  16agpgart                40896   3  (autoclean)ipt_TOS                 1592  12  (autoclean)ipt_LOG                 4280   5  (autoclean)ipt_REJECT              3640   5  (autoclean)ipt_state               1080  27  (autoclean)iptable_mangle          2712   1  (autoclean)ip_nat_irc              3280   0  (unused)ip_nat_ftp              4016   0  (unused)iptable_nat            21048   2  [ip_nat_irc ip_nat_ftp]ip_conntrack_irc        4304   1ip_conntrack_ftp        5200   1ip_conntrack           27264   4  [ipt_state ip_nat_irc ip_nat_ftp iptable_nat ip_conntrack_irc ip_conntrack_ftp]iptable_filter          2348   1  (autoclean)ip_tables              14648   9  [ipt_TOS ipt_LOG ipt_REJECT ipt_state iptable_mangle iptable_nat iptable_filter]dazuko                 20196   3audigy                 70952   0ac97_codec             12488   0  [audigy]sound                  70644   0  [audigy]soundcore               6276   0  [audigy sound]nfsd                   74256   0  (autoclean)af_packet              14952   1  (autoclean)sr_mod                 16920   0  (autoclean)floppy                 55132   08139too                17160   1  (autoclean)mii                     3832   0  (autoclean) [8139too]tulip                  44032   1  (autoclean)supermount             15296   4  (autoclean)ide-cd                 33856   0cdrom                  31648   0  [sr_mod ide-cd]ide-scsi               11280   0usb-uhci               24652   0  (unused)usbcore                72992   1  [usb-uhci]rtc                     8060   0  (autoclean)ext3                   59916  10jbd                    38972  10  [ext3]sd_mod                 11548   0ataraid                 6852   0  (unused)scsi_mod               91796   3  [sr_mod ide-scsi sd_mod][root@localhost tony]# mod info dazukobash: mod: command not found[root@localhost tony]# modinfo dazukomodinfo: dazuko: no module by that name found

Thanks again. atiustira

Hi AtiusThere it is finally :thumbsup: :

dazuko                 20196   3
Now try this:
# rmmod dazuko

And after that shutdown/reboot and see if it still hangs . . . . ( you can "insmod dazuko" to insert the module and "rmmod dazuko" to remove it . . . if this works we have to make a little script for these commands . . . if it does NOT work or do any good . . then there might be something else that is the cause of the shutdown problems.:lol: Bruno