Going to be trying Debian soon

trigggl

I am downloading all of the unofficial Debian Sarge cd's to install on the home computer. There are only 10 of them. I've already burned 1 through 6 and 9, 10 of 9. It's kind of funny because disc 10's readme says "This is disc 10 of 9". I have 7 and 8 to go, but you really only need the 1st one for an install. I downloaded 9 and 10 already because they are small.I was checking through the lists and even "Sarge" which is unstable has packages older than Mandrake 9.2. I can't imagine why Debian lets themselves get that far behind. It seems to come with XFree 4.2. I assume I'll have to download a lot of recent files. Perhaps I really should start with a Knoppix cd.Anyways, I'm looking to finally take the plunge with Broadband since it's only $8 more a month for the first year, then I don't tie up the phone line and I don't waste everyones time. I might get it before Mandrake 10 official comes out, and then I can quit relying on my work connection.

Good Luck Greg...Have fun with the Debian...Though I 'm a Mepis Linux fan(debian based has the 2.6 kernel and is based on SID is stable on a HP w/ 850 AMD) and Knoppix in an easier install...The Debian install takes more time, but you really know what's going on..again Have fun,,Don't quote me on this but I have heard Broadband leads to Distro Addiction... ;)

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a distroholic...it all started with a small iso......and a 25 pack of CDR's...now a 100pak isn't enough ...and I have a collection of burnt CDR's full of distros...some I even know what they are

Hurray ! . . . Broadband !! :hmm: :hmm: . . . . Just now you have your Linux compatible modem :ermm: B)
:) It's always good to have a backup plan.
some I even know what they are
;) I think I'm already half way there. I downloaded Slackware 9.1 at work before realizing when I got home, I already had it.Let's see...I am downloading all 10 discs of a distro that is outdated before it even went stable...that may be a symptom.

I bought a Knoppix cd, which is Debian based, and it's a mighty neat piece of work. Much of it is that it can easily run on later model hardware instead of what I started with. Whcih was installing a distro on old dumpster pulls. :D

Hi WhackWelcome to the forum ! Hope you like it here ;)Yep Knoppix is a brilliant piece of work, we have some really hardcore fans of Knoppix around here and the will be happy to see a new adept comming ! :DB) Bruno

havnblast
I bought a Knoppix cd, which is Debian based, and it's a mighty neat piece of work. Much of it is that it can easily run on later model hardware instead of what I started with. Whcih was installing a distro on old dumpster pulls.  <_<
Overclockix 3.4 is out by bit torrent only, which blows - but it beat Knoppix 3.4 out cause they still trying to decide for weeks now on what programs to remove to get the file size down to a cd. They been dragging it out way to long now, should of been out a month ago.~Sits and waits~

I just finished installing Debian Sarge and cannot access the internet, but I can see and work with my LAN. Does anyone have any ideas?the DVD came with Linux Mag. :) :) mike180 :w00t:

I had the wrong dhcp-client installed. This is being posted from debian sarge and it sure is running smoth.Bed time for now 3:11am. Later! :) :) :w00t: mike180 ;) :( :w00t:

Overclockix 3.4 is out by bit torrent only, which blows - but it beat Knoppix 3.4 out cause they still trying to decide for weeks now on what programs to remove to get the file size down to a cd.  They been dragging it out way to long now, should of been out a month ago.~Sits and waits~
Kelly from what I understand ( newsletter ) Knoppix 3.4 ( 2.6 kernel ) is on the way ( few days ) . . . and there will be a CD version and a DVD version with a bundle of extra software on it :D :DB) Bruno

5/3/04- Two of our servers hurled last night so those downloading may get a bad file. I'm also putting out an update of 3.4 which has OpenOffice and some little bugfixes. You should restart your downloads. The filename on the site will change once the newer iso has been uploaded and torrented. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Ouch. Another reasooon I don't want a bittorent download of it! :D Julia :)

I'm buying a 6 Gig hard drive off of a local Lug member, so I may not have to sacrifice Slackware after all. Actually, I may update it all the way "current" once the DSL is connected. I made the order yesterday. It will be nice to be able to upgrade the Debian install without the use of cd's.I still haven't figured out why the Slackware install has such big problems playing DVD's. Mandrake does a much better job. Now that I think about it, I'll be able to do the Mandrake "Official" ftp install! :D

Well, the Lug member didn't sell me the hard drive after all. Not yet, at least. The new one he bought, he hasn't been able to format. On the positive, the video card he sold me turned out to be better than even the nVidia card that burned out on me recently. He thought it was 2x AGP, but it is actually 4x. It's an All-In-Wonder ATI Rage 128 with 32Mb of Ram. No, I haven't updated my profile yet.Furthermore, I am posting from my nice new shiny broadband. SBC DSL, here I am. I guess I'll go download the rest of my updates, now.I will now stop abusing my work connection. :thumbsup: