How NOT to Run a Forum

raymac46

Manjaro is a really nice little distro but its backoffice approach leaves a lot to be desired.

Take its new forum...please.

https://forum.manjaro.org/

The folks over there decided to migrate to new servers and set up a new forum so:

1. They let the old forum's security certificate lapse. You can't access any of the legacy forum pages without getting dire warnings from ESET and your browser's security software.
  2. They implemented a completely new forum format that is more suited to mobile devices and social media types.
  3. They didn't port over the wiki or howtos from the old forum.
  4. They made everyone re-register so veterans with hundreds of posts are now faced with post limitations and captcha. They are treated like spammers actually.
  5. They didn't tell anyone in advance that all this was coming down,

I'm surprised at how well the Manjarians are taking all this. It certainly wouldn't have been done that way here.

It's like watching a train wreck or multicar pileup in progress.

train_wreck3.jpg

• Like 3

Cluttermagnet

I'm surprised at how well the Manjarians are taking all this. It certainly wouldn't have been done that way here.

It's like watching a train wreck or multicar pileup in progress.

train_wreck3.jpg

Hey, great prices on distressed lumber this week... :happyroll:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Moderators on the Manjaro forum are real {term deleted because ladies are present}-heads over there.

I was trying to help a guy who couldn't connect with a router using an Atheros wifi card and when I ran out of ideas I flagged the post hoping a senior or more experienced team member would help. Immediately 3 moderators jumped down my throat and told me off for using the flag function improperly. Apparently they want it used only for rudeness and spam despite the fact there is clearly an other category - which I used.

I tend to forget not all forums are like this one.

Anyway I suggested SNL to the guy with problems. So if he turns up here and still cannot connect maybe someone here can help him. I know they won't treat him with contempt at least. :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

I've PMed people at other forums to Scot's forum for linux help.

Sometimes if you post openly in another forum, you get your hand slapped for suggesting people go elsewhere. <sigh>

I've gotten a few reprimands elsewhere. At times I thought do I really want to participate at that site if the mods/admins are pinheads.

I find it easier to just send a PM and tell the poster I'm not chasing them from the original forum BUT they might appreciate some more help at a place where no question is too stupid and people don't jump down your throat for not knowing something.

edited to spell Scot's name with one t not two!

Edited by zlim
  • Like 3

Oh for sure I suggested that he come here via PM. I know better than to say anything in the open forum.

What gripes me is I've been an forum admin and moderator for a decade on a watch related forum and I never let my ego get in the way of being helpful. Over the top moderation is a great way to kill a forum and they have enough problems over there already.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And that is exactly how I landed here almost 6 years ago Liz. :-) You introducing me to the best Linux forum on the web. Never looked back. :-) When you have the best, you don't bother with the rest. ;-)

• Like 1

Lately I have been browsing linux forums as far down the Goog list as 20/30 pages . Mostly obscure distro forums .. Reading some of the posts and replies almost made me sick . Way to much rtfm in big block caps. Rudeness and bad spelling . Long may forums like those stay in the sub strata .

I have come across some little well run places . But they are few

• Like 1

Hedon James

And that is exactly how I landed here almost 6 years ago Liz. :-) You introducing me to the best Linux forum on the web. Never looked back. :-) When you have the best, you don't bother with the rest. ;-)

Yep...ditto here! I remember both of you from another forum (that I shall not name). It took me a little longer to find my way here (probably because a little more "strong-willed" than most), but when I did, it was because of an express invite and a promise that the folks at BATL were a more civilized group. Not knowing anything about "plodr" other than my own observations on the other forum, I decided it was trustworthy advice and started lurking here. Got a lot of good information and tips, but I wasn't sure I could "give" anything to the seemingly expert users here. For this reason I didn't join until I realized that I COULD make a meaningful contribution here, after seeing some threads that I KNEW I had viable suggestions for. My only regret was not officially signing up sooner!

Other than that, no regrets! And if there's ever a membership drive, Liz (aka Zlim and plodr) has a quiet persuasive that is very effective! THANK YOU Liz for your GREAT ADVICE and for rescuing me from that "other" site! :clap:

• Like 1

MX forum is very civilized and helpful, with devs chiming in regularly. As is siduction although knowing a little German helps there, or gtranslate add-on.

Debian User Forums where I also post regularly, on the other hand has some very knowledgeable people keen to help, although some will bite you if you don't do a little helping yourself.

I got here after subscribing to Scot's Newsletter back in the stone ages, coincidentally when I started dabbling in Linux.

Unfortunately the user base of linux won't get larger until those who use it and understand it well, stop alienating new recruits by not only refusing to offer help but belittling those who ask questions by treating them with contempt.

Fortunately for us here at Scot's, Bruno nurtured anyone who showed an interest in learning by offering cheerful assistance and endless patience.

If you like something, you should not be afraid to help others discover what is so great about using linux.

Because of Bruno, I finally had the courage to give it a try. A few years later, I bought a netbook with linux as the OS. I couldn't picture me doing that before I got much needed help here.

Thank you Bruno and all the others here who keep nurturing new users.

• Like 3

Hedon James

Amen zlim! Everytime I see the phrase "RTFM", the hair on the back of my neck rises and my blood percolates a little. FYI, I DID "RTFM" and couldn't make sense of that either! It's embarrassing enough that the manual was above my head; I bowed to your expertise and humbly asked for guidance; instead of rising to the challenge, you mounted your condescending throne.

Coulda been the hero, or coulda just ignored my request, but purposefully chose to be something else. I guess some folks just NEED to feel superior. After I'm done being mad, I usually just feel sorry for them. They'll never experience the satisfaction of helping others, or the happiness of a shared accomplishment. I don't know about others, but when someone else accomplishes something new, and I had a small hand in that...I can FEEL their exuberance at having faced adversity and WON...and I feel good too.

Those RTFM preachers will never experience that. :bangin:

• Like 3

I had a look at the elementaryOS community forums today, I just started using it as my primary and figured I'd have a poke around. The first thing that came to my attention is that a lot of posts in 'Newbe Questions' seem to go unanswered... And here is a direct quote from one that was:

There is a fix. But the fix is not worth your time. A force shut down will not harm the installation.

• Like 1

securitybreach

I had a look at the elementaryOS community forums today, I just started using it as my primary and figured I'd have a poke around. The first thing that came to my attention is that a lot of posts in 'Newbe Questions' seem to go unanswered... And here is a direct quote from one that was:

There is a fix. But the fix is not worth your time. A force shut down will not harm the installation.

Not very good advice.....

• Like 1