C:\System Volume Info. "Access Denied".

JoeP

Any attempt to select The System Volume Info..folder in Win_Explorer gets error message "C:\System Volume Info.. is not accessable. Access is denied." This while I am loged on as "Administrator". This appears to be the only system folder so protected. As it is one way of keeping track of my "System Restore Points", I would like to eliminate this prohibition, and request any suggestions. [NB: XP(Home) so "policy" is not applicable.]

Hi Joe, Hmmm, I have never tried getting into their before. Only been on XP for a few months. I am going to have to do some further research on this one. I even tried booting into safe mode, logging in under Admin, and still could not get into it.

Hmm thats odd, i can go in and out when i want to their is no such restriction for me???check the System Volume Properties Information and under the security tab check if the administrators and system access is allowed or not? give them full accces i thinkthat should let u in.......let me know :D

Guest ThunderRiver
Any attempt to select The System Volume Info..folder in Win_Explorer gets error message "C:\System Volume Info.. is not accessable. Access is denied."  This while I am loged on as "Administrator".  This appears to be the only system folder so protected.  As it is one way of keeping track of my "System Restore Points", I would like to eliminate this prohibition, and request any suggestions.  [NB: XP(Home) so "policy" is not applicable.]
I suppose you could also get in that folder under command prompt.Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.C:\Documents and Settings\Sunny>cd\C:\>cd "System Volume Information"C:\System Volume Information>

JoeP,Try this if your Windows XP Pro is using the NTFS File System 1.Click Start, and then click My Computer. 2.On the Tools menu, click Folder Options. 3.On the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders. 4.Clear 'Hide protected OS files (Recommended)' check box. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the change. 5.Click OK. 6.Right-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder, and then click Sharing and Security. 7.Click the Security tab. 8.Click Add, then type the name of the user to whom you want to give access to the folder. Choose acct location if required (either local or from the domain). Typically, this is the account with which you are logged on. Click OK, and then click OK. 9.Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to open it I found this at http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBI/tip4400/rh4453.htm so CREDIT goes to JSIInc.comIsaac~

Thanks to Isaac's post, i went to the website (after trying everything else) and tried the cacls command... it was the only thing I could get to work....

Windows XP Home Edition Using the NTFS File SystemIn Windows XP Home Edition with the NTFS file system, you must use the Cacls tool, which is a command-line tool to display or modify file or folder access control lists (ACLs). For more information about the Cacls tool, including usage and switches, search the Help and Support Center for "cacls." Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.Make sure that you are in the root folder of the partition for which you want to gain access to the System Volume Information folder. For example, to gain access the the C:\System Volume Information folder, make sure that you are in the root folder of drive C (at a "C:\" prompt).Type the following line, and then press ENTER:cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /G username:F Make sure to type the quotation marks as indicated. This command adds the specified user to the folder with Full Control permissions. Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to open it.If you need to remove the permissions after troubleshooting, type the following line at a command prompt:cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /R username This command removes all permissions for the specified user.