Google Options

zlim

After you have search results in Google, on the right near the top is a gear which is for options. One of the options is Advanced Search, which I use quite often. It has stopped working on one of 7 Windows partitions.

6 computers (XP and & 32 bit and 64 bit) all run FF 25, the old Win 2K is using FF 12.

The Gear icon when clicked does absolutely nothing on an XP Home 32 bit computer. It works fine on all other computers. I've been looking over addons trying to figure out what is different on this computer.

So far I'm hitting a brick wall because I can find nothing "special" about the broken computer.

The XP and 7 computers all run MS Security Essential and malwarebytes free or pro.

If anyone has an idea at what else I can look at, feel free and I'll start digging.

For now, I've bookmarked this

http://www.google.com/advanced_search

which I'll have to use for my searches.

Guest LilBambi

That is odd. Will check if it works right in FF 25 on the Mac when I get it updated in a few minutes.

I have an old 32 bit partition and laptop with 32-bit version of XP as well and will check them as well.

Is the broken 32 bit XP system fully updated (OS updates)?

Is the broken 32 bit XP system fully updated (OS updates)?
Yes, I made an image a few days ago and finally applied all the kernel updates from October. It is fully up to date.

I also fired up IE 8 and the gear/options works in Internet Explorer.

I don't have .json bookmarks as far as I know. I save my bookmarks as html to a USB stick.

Scratch that. I found some json bookmarks. Nor sure if FF does this automatically because it looks like I have backups from the 19th through the 30th.

I have never worked with this type file.

I just tried FF with all addons disabled and it still does not work. By the way, Fran, google search is NOT a bookmark so I'm not sure how that would change a thing.

I search using google, get the results page then I'm unable to get any sort of menu when I click on the gear icon.

Edited by zlim

Guest LilBambi

The .json files are great because it is your full bookmarks just as you have them listed. I have found them to be the best way to save and import bookmarks for Firefox. I used to use html but it's a bit messy on import. .json files are not messy at all. They overwrite the bookmarks with your current one. I save it off the drive too.

Yes, I know Google.com is not a bookmark, but just in case the .json did more than bookmarks...