Installed porteus on hard drive

mhbell

Tonight I downloaded porteus which is a slackware derivative and is portable. It really isn't meant for HD instalation and is more for USB or cd /dvd to run from. I am running it in virtual box. If you want to build your own custom distro this might be the way to go. I will try and get a screen shot and post it. It is a very minimal distro and only takes about 160 MB on the CD. here is a link to the website http://www.porteus.org/

Edited by mhbell

V.T. Eric Layton

Porteus and SLAX are both never far from me. They are integral parts of my toolbox. I'm going to use Porteus in just a few minutes to partition/format the new drive I installed in my laptop last night. :)

Tonight I downloaded porteus which is a slackware derivative and is portable. It really isn't meant for HD instalation and is more for USB or cd /dvd to run from. I am running it in virtual box. If you want to build your own custom distro this might be the way to go. I will try and get a screen shot and post it. It is a very minimal distro and only takes about 160 MB on the CD. here is a link to the website http://www.porteus.org/

I will just say here that it is trivially easy to do a 'frugal' install of Porteus to a hard disk. Just copy the entire content of the iso file [or cd] to a subdirectory somewhere on a hard disk partition, and add a couple lines to your boot util -- here I use grub or grub4dos, and the entry below works when I have copied into /dev/sdb3/port30 :

title Port30 on /dev/sdb3 --

root (hd1,2)

kernel /port30/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz vga=normal from=/dev/sdb3/port30 changes=/mnt/sdb3/port30.dat login=root

initrd /port30/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz

(edit: the kernel line is split on display, all the way to login=root is on the one kernel line)

and you can see from this that I have used the Porteus app to make a changes.dat file, and have added the changes= cheatcode to tell Porteus where it is located. This is how to enable persistence when not on a linux filesystem. [this happens to be ntfs]

I commonly add about 300 MB of additional modules to it. You can't tell, running it, that it is not a conventional slackware install.

Edited by burninbush

You can't tell, running it, that it is not a conventional slackware install.

Why not install slax or slackware then. Seems to me that would be a lot easier. Edited by mhbell

Why not install slax or slackware then. Seems to me that would be a lot easier.

?? Hard to understand how installing Slackware could be as easy as copying the iso content to a subdirectory. It's literally a 2-minute operation.

Slax is pretty much dead these days, while Porteus is still being updated.

There are good reasons to go with a distro based on compressed modules as opposed to the conventional linux install. Not the least of which is that they are bullet-proof; delete the changes and you are back to brand new. Or, build it up as you like and run without saving changes -- in that case, a reboot will fix any damage. Building the system up with modules means you don't have to deal with dependencies -- unlike Slackware. Try adding VLC [for example] to a standard Slackware install.

• Like 2

securitybreach
There are good reasons to go with a distro based on compressed modules as opposed to the conventional linux install. Not the least of which is that they are bullet-proof; delete the changes and you are back to brand new. Or, build it up as you like and run without saving changes -- in that case, a reboot will fix any damage. Building the system up with modules means you don't have to deal with dependencies -- unlike Slackware. Try adding VLC [for example] to a standard Slackware install.

Hmm I could have some fun with that. Try to destroy the distro in as many way as I can think of.... I am not talking about the rm -rvf / stuff (do not run that command) but something a little more inventive. BTW I have executed that on a running install just to see what it looked like to implode a distro. Hmm I dunno if Porteus could survive that since it would removing the file system..... :devil:

Hmm I could have some fun with that. Try to destroy the distro in as many way as I can think of.... I am not talking about the rm -rvf / stuff (do not run that command) but something a little more inventive. BTW I have executed that on a running install just to see what it looked like to implode a distro. Hmm I dunno if Porteus could survive that since it would removing the file system..... :devil:

LOL -- an interesting test. I reckon it would depend on whether it found /mnt before it killed itself. If the storage location where Porteus was running from survived, then the OS would be fine after a reboot.

If a person really needed ROM-like security, he could run it from an SD card with a write-protect switch. It might still be possible to get usbsticks with write-protect switches; has been a long time since I've seen one, though.

I call it bullet-proof because the files holding the system modules -- from which the running system in memory is unpacked -- those are never opened for writing, and so they never get corrupted. If some problem symptom does persist through a reboot then you can be sure it's from something stored in the changes directory -- delete that, reboot, and it's fresh again. I was thinking of the running system in memory, which you could obviously kill with little effort, but it would be restored as new on a reboot.

• Like 1