réjean

Hi all!

Trying to update pacman in manjaro I got the following;

[rejean@manjaro ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
   #2) Think before you type.
   #3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for rejean:
:: Synchronizing package databases...
basis is up to date
platform is up to date
addon is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace libwebkit3 with extra/webkitgtk3? [Y/n] y
:: Replace pyatspi with extra/python2-atspi? [Y/n] y
:: Replace python-imaging with community/python2-imaging? [Y/n] y
:: Replace python-notify with extra/python2-notify? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: systemd-manjaro-units will be installed before its systemd dependency
looking for inter-conflicts...
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: nautilus-sound-converter and totem are in conflict (totem>=3.6.0)

What should I do?

error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: nautilus-sound-converter and totem are in conflict (totem>=3.6.0)

What version of totem is installed? This error is saying that you must have "totem>=3.6.0", that is greater than or equal to.

Try

pacman -Ss totem

to find what version is installed.

[rejean@manjaro ~]$ pacman -Ss totem
extra/python2-totem-plparser 2.32.0-12
Python bindings for totem-plparser
extra/totem 3.6.3-1 (gnome-extra) [installed: 3.4.3-1]
GNOME3 movie player based on GStreamer
extra/totem-plparser 3.4.3-1 [installed: 3.4.2-1]
Totem playlist parser library
extra/totem-plugin 3.6.3-1
Totem plugin for web browsers
[rejean@manjaro ~]$

I am new to Arch so let me know if I am doing something wrong. I opened pacman-gui and asked to install totem

and now in PkgBrowser I see that I have totem 3.6.3-1. But;

[rejean@manjaro ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu
[sudo] password for rejean:
:: Synchronizing package databases...
basis is up to date
platform is up to date
addon is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace libwebkit3 with extra/webkitgtk3? [Y/n] y
:: Replace pyatspi with extra/python2-atspi? [Y/n] y
:: Replace python-imaging with community/python2-imaging? [Y/n] y
:: Replace python-notify with extra/python2-notify? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: nautilus-sound-converter and totem are in conflict. Remove totem? [y/N]

Edited by réjean

securitybreach

What is this pacman-gui you speak of and why are you using that instead? Also, like Eric said, either remove nautilus-sound-converter or totem:

# pacman -Rsc totem

securitybreach

Ah, I see that you are not running Archlinux but a distro based upon it, Manjaro Linux. I have never heard of this distro but I am downloading it to test it out.

That said, I prefer a normal Archlinux install over a prebuilt image. Believe me, I understand the appeal of having Archlinux installed and setup without having to go through the (sometimes) long process but that kind of goes against one of the biggest advantages of Arch. Part of installing and setting everything up from scratch is the learning process of how everything works together and how distros are built. I started to explain this but I found a better explanation:

Arch makes no assumptions about the type of system you want when it is installed. Ubuntu's desktop distribution opines that all desktop systems will feature a graphical environment of some flavor, and while that may be true in most circumstances, it is not always a given. Also, it is generally more difficult to pair down a system with extra cruft installed than it is to build a system exactly how you'd like.

Arch doesn't saddle you with this assumption. Its developers believe in giving you a system with no unnecessary additions, adopting the perspective of a developer rather than a casual user. It is certainly easy to build a system as feature-packed as any sophisticated desktop Linux, but Arch's installation process doesn't pretend to know more than you. Not only does it only require that you install a minimal system, but it even lets you choose your own bootloader. You can also choose package groups to create a more full-featured install, such as those for your favorite desktop environment.

http://www.archlinuxgallery.com/

I have tried out a lot of the various Arch prebuilt distros like ArchBang, Chakra, Cinnarch, etc. but still found something lacking. Even though most use the same repositories as normal Arch, there were little things you ran into that does not affect normal Archlinux. Things like the methods they use to configure the system, their choice of networking daemons, sometimes things break when updating, etc. Of course, I am never satisfied with a distro OOTB anyway as I like to tinker and build my own system with certain favorite applications/WMs so take it for it is. B)

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Josh. I had Manjaro installed and had been using it for the last few weeks and I really liked it. It just that yesterday I reinstalled Siduction and I messed up my Manjaro /home permissions.Now it looks that I am upgrading everything in Manjaro which I don't mind.

• Like 1

Funny! After I allowed to remove totem, having done "[rejean@manjaro ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu" I would say that one or two hudred files were downloaded and the result is;

error: failed to commit transaction (unexpected error)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
[rejean@manjaro ~]$

What is strange is that when I installed manjaro a few weeks ago everything went so well.

I think my problem as something to do with the repositories. Trying " pacman -Syyu " as root trying after 3 reboots kept giving me things like: "Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0 "

or "Operation too slow.

failed to retrieve some files from platform. "

or sometimes it's from basic.

I'll keep trying now and again until I can fine some documentation when I have time. In the meantime I'll play with OpenSUSE 12.2 Gnome.

Not sure Eric. Like I said sometimes it tries to download some files and stop partly through for no reason, but I did write down the error message as relating to a fd0,logical block 0. I'll try it again tomorrow and see what it wants then and will report.

I would have thought this was the main problem. systemd is not set up in Manjaro, but the Arch repos need it to be.

I just finished another attempt at "pacman -Syyu";

error: failed retrieving file 'libidn-1.25-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from repo.manjaro.org.uk : Connection time-out
warning: failed to retrieve some files from extra
error: failed to commit transaction (unexpected error)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
[root@manjaro rejean]#

It did look very promising for awhile. Will try again later I guess.

V.T. Eric Layton

I would have thought this was the main problem. systemd is not set up in Manjaro, but the Arch repos need it to be.

If Manjaro hasn't yet adjusted for systemd on the upstream Arch repos, their distribution will definitely break.

• Like 1

I'll do a rankmirrors as soon as I boot into manjaro again. It seems that the UK server is set as default and is not the greatest so I modified my /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist and chose the US server instead but now what I get is;

error:hwids:signature from "Tom Gundersen <[email="teg@jklm.no"]teg@jklm.no[/email]> is invalid
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
Errors occured,no package were upgraded.
[rejean@manjaro~]$

so I'll do a 'rankmirrors' and choose the fastest one.

Thanks for the suggestion josh!

The arcticle Josh posted about building a customized Arch Linux installation does a phenominal job of walking you through the process of installing Arch Linux. You have been using linux for a bit rejean and have taught me a few things. :) So I know with out a doubt, you can have an awesome Arch Linux setup in no time that fits YOUR needs.

I think once you install the "REAL" Arch Linux and realize that you can make that OS "YOUR" OS, you will be pleasantly surprised. The new install media for December is already compiled with SystemD. I used the article to install the december install media on an older HP laptop over the weekend. (I am bringing it to Cookie on Tuesday, trying to convert a Ubuntu user to and Arch user) and it really was smooth as glass. Enough with letting others build your house. Build your DREAM house on a solid foundation. But then again, this is just Ian's 2 cents.

Edited by ichase
  • Like 1

securitybreach

The arcticle Josh posted about building a customized Arch Linux installation does a phenominal job of walking you through the process of installing Arch Linux. You have been using linux for a bit rejean and have taught me a few things. :) So I know with out a doubt, you can have an awesome Arch Linux setup in no time that fits YOUR needs.

I think once you install the "REAL" Arch Linux and realize that you can make that OS "YOUR" OS, you will be pleasantly surprised. The new install media for December is already compiled with SystemD. I used the article to install the december install media on an older HP laptop over the weekend. (I am bringing it to Cookie on Tuesday, trying to convert a Ubuntu user to and Arch user) and it really was smooth as glass. Enough with letting others build your house. Build your DREAM house on a solid foundation. But then again, this is just Ian's 2 cents.

Excellent reply, great analogy!!! :thumbup: