Red Carpet revisited

rpiz

Hi everyone! Just wanted to check with the forum on the use of Ximian Red Carpet. Has anyone installed Red Carpet v2.0with Mandrake 9.2; and if so, has it been a worthwhile install. I noticed that as opposed to the post on Jul 24, 2003 in the 'Tips' the available package consists of 'rcd-.....' and 'rug-...' rpm's and did not show the 'red-carpet- ....'rpm? Is there in fact a separate 'red-carpet...' rpm? Appreciate you help. <_<

Take a look here: http://www-files.ximian.com/redcarpet2/man...ndrake-92-i586/ There are only two files to download: rcd-2.0.1-0.ximian.7.0.i586.rpm 18-Dec-2003 00:56 1.1M rug-2.0.1-0.ximian.7.0.i586.rpm 18-Dec-2003 00:57 244K After you have downloaded them you then do this: rpm -Uvh <red carpet rpm> <rcd rpm> <rug rpm>That translate to:$su<password># rpm -UVh rcd-2.0.1-0.ximian.7.0.i586.rpm rug-2.0.1.-0.ximian.7.0.i586.rpmor you can do the Desktop 2 by simply typing this:$su<password>#wget -q -O - http://go.ximian.com |shThen you will have a nice package that can do your downloading/installing for you. <_<

Tnx Julia; I downloaded both 'rcd... and rug...' rpm's and installed them from the appropriatedirectory. I then typed 'red-carpet' at the # and received a 'command not found'?What did I forget to do?

Uvh was correct. However, I am not sure they have their act together completely. If you look at the files for Mandrake 9.0 you will find 3 files but when you look at Mandrake 9.2 there are only 2. They have a different number so I doubt they would work together if you wanted to go back to the old directory. http://www-files.ximian.com/redcarpet2/man...ndrake-91-i586/ is the directory for the 9.1 and you will find 3 files. http://www-files.ximian.com/redcarpet2/man...ndrake-92-i586/ is the directory for Mandrake 9.2 and it only has the two files. I wonder if they left one out.The other thing is you must be in the same directory when you go to run the command. If you downloaded it to your home directory then that is where you should be when you install. It might be easier at this point to go from the Desktop 2 to install since it does not look like the other is quite ready yet.

Are you trying to install Red Carpet Enterprise OR Red Carpet ? ( you need the last one ): INFO: http://www.ximian.com/products/redcarpet/features.html DOWNLOAD: http://www.ximian.com/products/redcarpet/download.html But Julia is right there is still a package missing ! Also, I know it says

rpm -Uvh <red carpet rpm> <rcd rpm> <rug rpm>

But this is not correct ! This should be: # rpm -Uhv rcd-2.0.1-0.ximian.7.0.i586.rpm # rpm -Uhv rug-2.0.1-0.ximian.7.0.i586.rpm # rpm -Uvh red-carpet-2.0.1-0.ximian.7.0.i586.rpm ( don´t know why it´s -Uhv and not the normal -ihv ) Short: I guess we will have to wait till red-carpet-2.0.1-0.ximian.7.0.i586.rpm is available. :blink: Bruno

Yes, reiterating the initial post, I am installing Red Carpet; and I 'cd' to the properdirectory inorder to install the program. It is, as explained in your post, a problemat 'Ximian' in that the 'red-carpet-2.0.1-0.ximian.7.0.i586.rpm' is not available.Lastly, I guess you are right, we will have to wait until they sort out their site. :blink:

I went ahead and contacted 'Ximian' via email, and asked the webmaster to include 'red-carpet-2.0.1-0.ximian.7.0.i586.rpm' for Mandrake 9.2 at theappropriate download site. Hopefully this addition will happen soon andwe can access 'red-carpet' program. :blink:

I went ahead and contacted 'Ximian' via email, and asked the webmaster to include 'red-carpet-2.0.1-0.ximian.7.0.i586.rpm' for Mandrake 9.2 at theappropriate download site.  Hopefully this addition will happen soon andwe can access 'red-carpet' program. :huh:
Way to go rpiz ! Just let them know we are waiting !!! :( :(:( Bruno

A follow-up. Ms. Jessica Dolan-Electronic Marketing Team- Novell, Inc. has acknowledged myemail and is forwarding it to the Manager of that specific area of their site dealing with 'Red Carpet'and Mandrake 9.2. Perhaps we will soon have access to all files necessary for the installation of 'Red Carpet'under Mandrake 9.2?? ;) B) ;)

Well the email to Novell did work. The missing file for 'Red Carpet' in regard to Mandrake 9.2(red-carpet...........) is now available on their site. I hope this helps members of the forum that are anxious to install 'Red Carpet'?

Yes! And I installed it under Mandrake 9.2 and it went well. Now I'll have to dig into the readme and instructions. Following that I hope to place a shortcut on the desktopto make it readily available. I would appreciate the feedback from others that have installed 'Red Carpet'also. :(

Because you do not use it every day . . .as far as I remember, I just typed "red-carpet" in a ( root )terminal and it started the GUI :(:( Bruno

Just installed it . . . . all worked well however the carpet is version 7.3 and the other files version 7.0 . . . . . "System is up to date" was the message I got once the carpet was launched :( :DB) Bruno

Do you feel the version difference will have an impact on the use of this program?I too received the message 'System is up to date"; but I did not see a list of channelsin the channel tab of the program?

Do you feel the version difference will have an impact on the use of this program?I too received the message 'System is up to date"; but I did not see a list of channelsin the channel tab of the program?
Hi Rpiz . . . . No the version difference will have no effect . . I suppose the 7.0 was buggy and therefor replaces by 7.3.About the channels . . . not sure what you mean by that (?) :D:P Bruno

Channels sort software so one can manage packages easily.Reference: 'www.ximian.com/products/redcarpet/features.html' "red carpet intuitively organizes and presents available software into easily understood channels. Subscribe to the channels you want, ignore the ones you don't" Tnx >_<

Hi RpizAs you type "red-carpet" as root in a terminal it starts the GUI . . . the second (icon)button from the left on top it says channels . . . . . pressing on it you get a dialog with 2 "channels" to subscribe "Evolution" and "Red Carpet 2" ( the paid version "carpet-enterprise" would have more options ):whistling: Bruno

Something as gone awry. I attemtpted to run 'Red carpet' again as root and received thefollowing error message. [root@localhost rp]# red-carpetTraceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/sbin/red-carpet", line 81, in ? import red_main File "/usr/share/red-carpet/red_main.py", line 31, in ? import red_appwindow File "/usr/share/red-carpet/red_appwindow.py", line 24, in ? import red_transaction File "/usr/share/red-carpet/red_transaction.py", line 20, in ? import red_packagearray, red_packageview File "/usr/share/red-carpet/red_packageview.py", line 98, in ? _showchnames = _ShowChannelNames() File "/usr/share/red-carpet/red_packageview.py", line 78, in __init__ self.__show = int(config.get(self.conf_str + "=0"))ValueError: invalid literal for int(): TrueNow, nothing changed from my previous attempt at running 'Red Carpet'; only that Ishut the computer down for the day???? Evidentally the program didn't like that Iwas questioning the 'Channels' part of the program? :'(

Hi RpizVery strange ! . . . I suggest you simply install the carrpet again, no need to remove the old files . . . . The order I installed them was first the "rcd', then the "rug" and last the "carpet" . . hope this will restore the functioning of it.I just checked and mine is still in good working order :):) Bruno

Strange indeed! I re-installed the individual parts of this program and followed thesequence of 'rcd....rug....and then red-carpet'. I then entered 'red-carpet' as root; butunfortunately I received the same error as indicated in my previous post. I evenuninstalled 'red-carpet...' element of the downloads and reinstalled it but it had noaffect on the proper function of the program? :whistling:

Hi RpizIt starts getting stranger by every post . . . . :DI would remove all 3 packages:

# rpm -e rcd-2.0.1-0.ximian.7.0.i586.rpm
After that do a "locate red-carpet" and manually delete the rest of entries you find.Only if all is gone, re-install the carpet again :huh::huh: Bruno

Oh Boy! I attempted to remove the first of the three packages in root ' rpm -e rcd-2.0.1-0.ximian.7.0.i586.rpm' and I received a message thatthe program doesn't exist? Just for the heck of it, I again did an install ofthis same package and it gave me a message that it is already installed.Does this mean I'll have to remove everything manually? :D

Hi RpizAre you in the direcory where the rpm's are located when you do rpm -e ? . . . Looks like we will have to find a mental hospital for your computer :D :D . . . . I just re-tested my red-carpet and it still runs fine . . . ;)B) Bruno

Absolutely funny! '.......a mental hospital for your computer.' Yes I did 'cd' to the proper directory before attempting to 'rpm -e..'each package. I will hold off the shock treatment of this box until we can definitivelyshow that it is mental. ;) B)

Just to make sure everything is right - did you try typing the beginning of the name and then the tab bar to autocomplete it after giving the remove command? Sometimes I just don't get the o and 0 and the 1, i , l, all straight!