Grub Bootloader

hodgy

I am having difficulty trying to amend my Grub bootloader to add an extra distro,I don't seem to be able to make sense of the ATL tips or any other info from Googling. :hmm: So some (meaning lots) of help required.I have a Maxtor Sata 120 Gb.Hard drive which i have partitioned:Hde1 Xp 85 GbHde5 Mepis 2004.6. 5 GbHde6 Swap 500 MbHde7 Home 5 GBI also have 4 more partitions 8 - 11 all approx 5 Gb.I have installed Ubuntu amd 64 on Hde8 But i can't edit the grub menu lst.I at first installed the ubuntu bootloader (grub) over the mepis bootloader on the MBRbut this was not successfull (it crashed) so i re-installed the mepis bootloader fromthe live cd.So at the moment i am stuck any help greatly appreciated.Thanks Hodgy

Hi HodgySimply reinstalling the Mepis grub from, the CD is not really possible without chrooting to the Mepis partition first . . . . I thinlk you best just re-install Mepis to get rid of the mess Ubuntu created in the MBR ( not the first time it does so :) ):hmm: Bruno

Hi HodgySimply reinstalling the Mepis grub from, the CD is not really possible without chrooting to the Mepis partition first . . . . I thinlk you best just re-install Mepis to get rid of the mess Ubuntu created in the MBR ( not the first time it does so :) ):hmm: Bruno

Hi BrunoI did re-install mepis and i have not got any problems booting mepis or XP.I just need to know how to edit the grub bootloader that mepis installed so i can boot ubuntu on Hde8Thanks

O sorry . . misunderstanding !!You will have to look in the menu.lst of ubuntu to see what the "appendline" is and how it calls the drive it is on . . . Simply mount the ubuntu partition and copy over the /boot/Grub/menu.lst over to your /home so you can inspect it and read what entries it made.OR: reinstall Ubuntu and don't let it put grub in the MBR but in the /root partition of Ubuntu itsef . . . . . . then you can just "chainload" it with the Mepis GrubWARNING: The Ubuntu grub is very much beta . . and has serious bugs so you might have a serious look at it before simply copying those entries ! ( A few members already encountered serious problems with the Ubuntu bootloader ):P Bruno

Perhaps i should try another distro.When i install to the partition do i put the bootloader in with the distroor not install any bootloader?Hodgy

When Ubuntu goes thru its install, it will install a grub bootloader that will see your XP and Mephis setup.mike180ps I ended up having to wipe both hard drives and install Ubuntu by itself. Now to reinstall win2k and TurboLinux64.

You put the bootloader with the distro . . . in / . . . there is always an optopn to do that :DB) Bruno

When i installed ubuntu i omitted the bootloader, so thats why all my command line entriescame to nought. When i tried /boot/grub/menu.lst in a terminal, after su and passwordi got permission denied. how can i access this please.This is with my mepis distroThanks Hodgy Edited by hodgy

Did you copy over the Ubuntu vmlinuz from the /boot in Ubuntu to Mepis ???I will post you the lilo entry I have to boot ubuntu . . . .maybe that will give you a leadGive me a sec. . . have to rebootB) Bruno

PART 2Looks like you need the initrd as well . . . and no appendline :P( from my lilo )

image=/boot/ubuntu/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-3-386        label="Ubuntu"        root=/dev/hda10        initrd=/boot/ubuntu/initrd.img-2.6.8.1-3-386        read-only
NOTE: This is an older version of Ubuntu . . . you may have other kernel and initrd numbers :P:P Bruno

PART 2Looks like you need the initrd as well . . . and no appendline :P( from my lilo ):P Bruno

No grub in the boot file on ubuntu as i said earlier i skipped the bootloaderwhen doing the ubuntu install.So perhaps a fresh install with grub in the / folder?Same kernel no. as you but mine is the Amd 64 versionThanks Hodgy Edited by hodgy

You need no grub file of ubuntu . . . . Just copy over the vmlinuz and initrd from the /boot of ubuntu to a directory you make in the /boot of Mepis . . . . . then just edit the Mepis grub menu.lst to include Ubuntu with links to the files you copied over to MepisNo need to re-install just yet.If you post us the menu.lst of Mepis grub . . . we will see if we can make the Ubuntu entry for youB) Bruno

MikeAre you saying that when you install ubuntu when it comes to the bootloader letit overwrite the mepis bootloader and it should pick up all 3 distro's?Hodgy

You need no grub file of ubuntu . . . . Just copy over the vmlinuz and initrd from the /boot of ubuntu to a directory you make in the /boot of Mepis . . . . . then just edit the Mepis grub menu.lst to include Ubuntu with links to the files you copied over to MepisNo need to re-install just yet.If you post us the menu.lst of Mepis grub . . . we will see if we can make the Ubuntu entry for youB) Bruno

Bruno When i try to access the /grub/menu.lst i get permission denied. How can i alter the permission on this file?Thanks Hodgy

Hi HodgyIn Mepis you first do "su" and then
# cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

:P Bruno

Wow finally got a result!!cat: /boot/grub/menu,lst: No such file or directoryroot@6[ken]# cat /boot/grub/menu.lstdefault savedtimeout 15color cyan/blue white/blueforeground ffffffbackground 2f5178splashimage /boot/grub/mepis.xpm.gztitle MEPIS at hde5, kernel 2.6.7kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7 root=/dev/hde5 nomce psmouse.proto=imps quietsplash=verbose vga=791initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.mepissavedefaulttitle MEPIS at hde5, kernel 2.4.26kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26 root=/dev/hde5 nomce quiet splash=verbose vga=791 hda=ide-scsiinitrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.mepissavedefaulttitle Windows at hde1rootnoverify (hd0,0)chainloader +1savedefaulttitle MEMTESTkernel /boot/memtest86.bintitle Use a qwerty keyboard with GRUBsetkey y ysetkey Y Ysetkey q qsetkey Q Qsetkey w wsetkey W Wsetkey a asetkey A Asetkey semicolon semicolonsetkey colon colonsetkey z zsetkey Z Zsetkey m msetkey M Msetkey comma commasetkey less lesssetkey period periodsetkey greater greatersetkey slash slashsetkey bracketright bracketrightsetkey backslash backslashsetkey doublequote doublequotesetkey 1 1setkey exclam exclamsetkey 2 2setkey at atsetkey 3 3setkey numbersign numbersignsetkey 4 4setkey dollar dollarsetkey 5 5setkey percent percentsetkey 6 6setkey caret caretsetkey 7 7setkey ampersand ampersandsetkey 8 8setkey asterisk asterisksetkey 9 9setkey parenleft parenleftsetkey 0 0setkey parenright parenrightsetkey minus minussetkey backquote backquotesetkey tilde tildesetkey braceright bracerightsetkey question questionsetkey braceleft braceleftsetkey quote quotesetkey underscore underscoretitle Utiliser un clavier azerty avec GRUBsetkey y ysetkey Y Ysetkey a qsetkey A Qsetkey z wsetkey Z Wsetkey q asetkey Q Asetkey m semicolonsetkey M colonsetkey w zsetkey W Zsetkey comma msetkey question Msetkey semicolon commasetkey period lesssetkey colon periodsetkey slash greatersetkey exclam slashsetkey dollar bracketrightsetkey asterisk backslashsetkey percent doublequotesetkey ampersand 1setkey 1 exclamsetkey tilde 2setkey 2 atsetkey doublequote 3setkey 3 numbersignsetkey quote 4setkey 4 dollarsetkey parenleft 5setkey 5 percentsetkey minus 6setkey 6 caretsetkey backquote 7setkey 7 ampersandsetkey underscore 8setkey 8 asterisksetkey caret 9setkey 9 parenleftsetkey at 0setkey 0 parenrightsetkey parenright minussetkey less backquotesetkey greater tildesetkey numbersign bracerightsetkey backslash questionsetkey bracketright braceleftsetkey braceleft quotesetkey braceright underscoretitle Benutze qwertz Tastatur mit GRUBsetkey y zsetkey z ysetkey Y Zsetkey Z Ysetkey equal parenrightsetkey parenright parenleftsetkey parenleft asterisksetkey doublequote atsetkey backquote equalsetkey plus bracketrightsetkey minus slashsetkey slash ampersandsetkey ampersand percentsetkey percent caretsetkey underscore questionsetkey question underscoresetkey semicolon lesssetkey less numbersignsetkey numbersign backslashsetkey colon greatersetkey greater barsetkey asterisk bracerightsetkey caret backquotesetkey backslash minusHodgy

LOL . . that is why I like Lilo :P :DOkay two more questions . . is Mepis on the same drive as ubuntu ?? And what partition did you install UbuntuThen . . did you copy tose 2 files I was on about to Mepis . . /boot/ubuntu ??Show me

# ls -al /boot/ubuntu

Okay two more questions  . . is Mepis on the same drive as ubuntu ?? And what partition did you install UbuntuThen  . . did you copy tose 2 files I was on about to Mepis . . /boot/ubuntu ??Show me
# ls -al /boot/ubuntu

I have only one hard drive Mepis on hde5ubuntu on hde8what folder should i put the ubuntu vmlinuz and the initrd files in?Hodgy

Here is what you do hodgy

# mkdir /mnt/hde8# mount /dev/hde8  /mnt/hde8# cp -r /mnt/hde8/boot  /boot/ubuntu# ls -al /boot/ubuntu

Show me the results . . . and stop as soon as one command fails ;):P Bruno

Here is what you do hodgy
# mkdir /mnt/hde8# mount /dev/hde8  /mnt/hde8# cp -r /mnt/hde8/boot  /boot/ubuntu# ls -al /boot/ubuntu

Show me the results . . . and stop as soon as one command fails ;):P Bruno

ResultsPassword:root@7[ken]# mldir /mnt/hde8bash: mldir: command not foundroot@7[ken]# mkdir /mnt/hde8mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/hde8': File existsroot@7[ken]# mount /dev/hde8 /mnt/hde8mount: /dev/hde8 already mounted or /mnt/hde8 busymount: according to mtab, /dev/hde8 is already mounted on /mnt/hde8root@7[ken]# cp -r /mnt/hde8/boot /boot/ubunturoot@7[ken]# ls -al /boot/ubuntutotal 6058drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 312 2005-03-14 20:54 .drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 360 2005-03-14 20:54 ..-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 48607 2005-03-14 20:54 config-2.6.8.1-3-amd64-genericlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 2005-03-14 20:54 initrd.img -> initrd.img-2.6.8.1-3-amd64-generic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3870720 2005-03-14 20:54 initrd.img-2.6.8.1-3-amd64-generic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1109304 2005-03-14 20:54 System.map-2.6.8.1-3-amd64-genericlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 2005-03-14 20:54 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-3-amd64-generic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1166374 2005-03-14 20:54 vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-3-amd64-genericroot@7[ken]# Does that look ok?Hodgy

That looks perfect to me . . . :DNow do this:

# kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst

That will open the menu.lst in an other window so you can edit it . . . now add the RED part to it.

default savedtimeout 15color cyan/blue white/blueforeground ffffffbackground 2f5178splashimage /boot/grub/mepis.xpm.gztitle MEPIS at hde5, kernel 2.6.7kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7 root=/dev/hde5 nomce psmouse.proto=imps quietsplash=verbose vga=791initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.mepissavedefaulttitle MEPIS at hde5, kernel 2.4.26kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26 root=/dev/hde5 nomce quiet splash=verbose vga=791 hda=ide-scsiinitrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.mepissavedefaulttitle UBUNTU at hde8, kernel 2.6.8kernel (hd0,7)/boot/ubuntu/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-3-amd64-generic root=/dev/hde8 vga=791initrd (hd0,7)/boot/ubuntu/initrd.img-2.6.8.1-3-amd64-genericsavedefaulttitle Windows at hde1rootnoverify (hd0,0)chainloader +1savedefaulttitle MEMTESTkernel /boot/memtest86.bin
Make no typos ! .. . better copy and paste it :P . . . Than save the file and show me again

That looks perfect to me  . . . :DNow do this:
# kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst

That will open the menu.lst in an other window so you can edit it . . . now add the RED part to it.Make no typos !  .. . better copy and paste it :D . . . Than save the file and show me again

B) Bruno

A small problemken@8[~]$ suPassword:root@8[ken]# kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lstXlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specifiedkwrite: cannot connect to X server :0.0root@8[ken]#hodgy

Yep . . . Mepis bug . . . try this:(as normal user)

$ xhost +

and (as root)

# set DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

Then do the kwrite command again . . :D Bruno

Yep . . . Mepis bug . . . try this:(as normal user)
$ xhost +

and (as root)

# set DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

Then do the kwrite command again . . :D Bruno

Resultken@11[~]$ suPassword:root@11[ken]# cat /boot/grub/menu.lstdefault savedtimeout 15color cyan/blue white/blueforeground ffffffbackground 2f5178splashimage /boot/grub/mepis.xpm.gztitle MEPIS at hde5, kernel 2.6.7kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7 root=/dev/hde5 nomce psmouse.proto=imps quietsplash=verbose vga=791initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.mepissavedefaulttitle MEPIS at hde5, kernel 2.4.26kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26 root=/dev/hde5 nomce quiet splash=verbose vga=791 hda=ide-scsiinitrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.mepissavedefaulttitle UBUNTU at hde8, kernel 2.6.8kernel (hd0,7)/boot/ubuntu/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-3-amd64-generic root=/dev/hde8 vga=791initrd (hd0,7)/boot/ubuntu/initrd.img-2.6.8.1-3-amd64-genericsavedefaulttitle Windows at hde1rootnoverify (hd0,0)chainloader +1savedefaulttitle MEMTESTkernel /boot/memtest86.bintitle Use a qwerty keyboard with GRUBsetkey y ysetkey Y Ysetkey q qsetkey Q Qsetkey w wsetkey W Wsetkey a asetkey A Asetkey semicolon semicolonsetkey colon colonsetkey z zsetkey Z Zsetkey m msetkey M Msetkey comma commasetkey less lesssetkey period periodsetkey greater greatersetkey slash slashsetkey bracketright bracketrightsetkey backslash backslashsetkey doublequote doublequotesetkey 1 1setkey exclam exclamsetkey 2 2setkey at atsetkey 3 3setkey numbersign numbersignsetkey 4 4setkey dollar dollarsetkey 5 5setkey percent percentsetkey 6 6setkey caret caretsetkey 7 7setkey ampersand ampersandsetkey 8 8setkey asterisk asterisksetkey 9 9setkey parenleft parenleftsetkey 0 0setkey parenright parenrightsetkey minus minussetkey backquote backquotesetkey tilde tildesetkey braceright bracerightsetkey question questionsetkey braceleft braceleftsetkey quote quotesetkey underscore underscoretitle Utiliser un clavier azerty avec GRUBsetkey y ysetkey Y Ysetkey a qsetkey A Qsetkey z wsetkey Z Wsetkey q asetkey Q Asetkey m semicolonsetkey M colonsetkey w zsetkey W Zsetkey comma msetkey question Msetkey semicolon commasetkey period lesssetkey colon periodsetkey slash greatersetkey exclam slashsetkey dollar bracketrightsetkey asterisk backslashsetkey percent doublequotesetkey ampersand 1setkey 1 exclamsetkey tilde 2setkey 2 atsetkey doublequote 3setkey 3 numbersignsetkey quote 4setkey 4 dollarsetkey parenleft 5setkey 5 percentsetkey minus 6setkey 6 caretsetkey backquote 7setkey 7 ampersandsetkey underscore 8setkey 8 asterisksetkey caret 9setkey 9 parenleftsetkey at 0setkey 0 parenrightsetkey parenright minussetkey less backquotesetkey greater tildesetkey numbersign bracerightsetkey backslash questionsetkey bracketright braceleftsetkey braceleft quotesetkey braceright underscoretitle Benutze qwertz Tastatur mit GRUBsetkey y zsetkey z ysetkey Y Zsetkey Z Ysetkey equal parenrightsetkey parenright parenleftsetkey parenleft asterisksetkey doublequote atsetkey backquote equalsetkey plus bracketrightsetkey minus slashsetkey slash ampersandsetkey ampersand percentsetkey percent caretsetkey underscore questionsetkey question underscoresetkey semicolon lesssetkey less numbersignsetkey numbersign backslashsetkey colon greatersetkey greater barsetkey asterisk bracerightsetkey caret backquotesetkey backslash minushodgy

Okay now

# grub-install /dev/hde

( hde is your only drive is it ?? )And reboot and see if UBUNTU wants to boot . . . . . . . if not we need Mel to tell us something about the appendline in Ubuntu AMD64 ( he has it installed too :D )B) Bruno

Okay now
# grub-install /dev/hde

( hde is your only drive is it ?? )And reboot and see if UBUNTU wants to boot . . . . . . . if not we need Mel to tell us something about the appendline in Ubuntu AMD64 ( he has it installed too :D )B) Bruno

No go Bruno.Error 15 no file foundHodgy

Oklay . .. I will PM to Mel and ask him for his Grub entries . . . he has installed the same on AMD 64B) Bruno