File Sharing Windows XP Pro

Zia

OK, file and printing sharing should not be difficult in Windows XP pro?However, after much research on the net, I have struggled to get it working…Current set-up3 PC's sharing net connection via router, each PC's running Windows XP and Zone Alarm. All the Windows XP firewall has been disabled. None have the PC's have SP2.Each PC has a distinct name and has been assigned a Workgroup Name (My Computer>Properties>Computer Name>Network ID>Option ‘This computer is part of a business network and I use it to connect to others computer’>Option ‘My company uses a network without a domain’>’MSHOME’ – my workgroup name>reboot)I have disabled 'Use simple file sharing' in Folder>Tools>Folder Options>ViewInternet sharing is working perfectly, all using LANI have created 'shared' folders in each PC. I have created a network folder in my main PC (Z://My network/). Issues:1. None of the shared folders can be seen in the other PC plus I cannot see that network folder in the other 2 PC's.2. I accessed My Network Places>View workgroups computers: I can get an error message ‘Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource’.3. I have run Network Setup Wizard in each PC (Option ‘This computer connects to the Internet through another computer on my network or through a residential gateway’) but I still could not view any of the shared folders.4. I have tried mapping the Network drive without any successI am sure I am missing some critical step, but what?? Thanks for any assistance.

Interresting...I had disabled Win XP firewall, I now switched off Zonealarm...>>>I got a mixed result:I can now see all 3 PC's in Network Places:- From PC A, I can access shared folder of PC B but not C- From PC B, I am asked username and password of PC A- I cannot access PC C on any of the machines.- I cannot see A or B from C3 questions:- Why can't I see PC C?- How do I access PC A from B- How do I secure my network as Zonealarm is disabled?

You need the same user account on each machine with the same password.
I don't have my LAN configured that way. It's a mixture of Win XP and Win 98 machines all with unique ids. Drives and folders are shared across the domain.

Much different in a DOMAIN than Workgroup. How does User A on machine A access the shared folder that User C created on machine C? Where does User A get permissions to access User C's shared folder? Ther are no DOMAIN credentials to authenticate with...The shared folders have to have all the Users granted permissions.Therefore each user must be the same on each machine's resource permission list.That is the downside to a Workgroup... you have to touch each machine to set it up.

You need the same user account on each machine with the same password.
Like EdP says, not necessary. As long as you know the account and password on the other machine you're fine.

All machines use the same Workgroup name in addition to the same 192.168.x.x addressing scheme. While I don't need to enter a user id to access the shared folders/drives everytime some do require entering a password, especially if write access is needed.

you have to touch each machine to set it up.
I did indeed do that.

I don't have my LAN configured that way.  It's a mixture of Win XP and Win 98 machines all with unique ids.  Drives and folders are shared across the domain.
Because you did this:"I have disabled 'Use simple file sharing'"You must add all the exact same user names and associated passwords from ALL computers to the XP machines.

Because you did this:"I have disabled 'Use simple file sharing'"
Not me. I'm running XP Home and I don't have that option.But I agree that that was probably Zia's problem.