Lost Password

Noonmid27

Hi guysI have not used linux in a few month because i didn't have access to my system.........now that i have access to my system again, i can't remember my vector linux login password. how can i recovery.....D*** it's nice to have my computers back.

V.T. Eric Layton

Do you know your root password? If so, just deluser (delete the old user) and then adduser (add new user). MAKE SURE YOU USE THE EXACT SAME USERNAME, SO YOUR /HOME WILL BE ACCESSIBLE!If you don't know your root password, we can't help you further, I'm afraid. :whistling:

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

Do you know your root password? If so, just deluser (delete the old user) and then adduser (add new user). MAKE SURE YOU USE THE EXACT SAME USERNAME, SO YOUR /HOME WILL BE ACCESSIBLE!If you don't know your root password, we can't help you further, I'm afraid. :whistling:
I can't remember the root password either............I mean there has to be a way around this......it's been i few months since i've used linux so that's why i forgot the password. My comps was on the shelf for a bit as i get situated in a new place and job........ Edited by Noonmid27

V.T. Eric Layton

There may be a way around it, Noonmid27, but it is unethical for staff or members of tech forums to assist others to crack passwords. There's no way of knowing if you're really telling the truth or if you're trying to crack into someone else's computer. See the position that puts us in? Possibly Bruno may be able to assist you further.

There may be a way around it, Noonmid27, but it is unethical for staff or members of tech forums to assist others to crack passwords. There's no way of knowing if you're really telling the truth or if you're trying to crack into someone else's computer. See the position that puts us in? Possibly Bruno may be able to assist you further.
Look i know there is ethics and all of that but im not kidding or trying to hack somebody computer..........i just can't remember the password and i need some help recovering it.

V.T. Eric Layton

I PM'd Bruno with a link to this post. He'll be here in a few hours when he wakes up. I'm sure he'll have an answer for you then, Noon. Luck! :whistling:

V.T. Eric Layton

If it's so easy, Bruno, what security is there for my Linux installations on my computer. Anyone could just walk into my room here and crack my system. :thumbsup:

If it's so easy, Bruno, what security is there for my Linux installations on my computer. Anyone could just walk into my room here and crack my system. :thumbsup:
Eric you are so right about that.........i didn't even realize that you crack a system that way........i guess because i need it for my system that i didn't even thought about doing this on somebody else's computer. Now i need a security fix for this....maybe encrypting the file system or something like that.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. Scary, huh? You can also access files and partitions on someone else's computer by just booting their system with SLAX on a thumbdrive and then mounting the partitions. :thumbsup:

Yup. Scary, huh? You can also access files and partitions on someone else's computer by just booting their system with SLAX on a thumbdrive and then mounting the partitions. :(
What would be the device name for a flash drive........i mean during the installation i would ask where i would like to install right so what is the flash drive device name?

V.T. Eric Layton

It's different on different systems, Noon. When I plug my flash drive in while booted up in Slackware, it automatically mounts in /media/sdc. The device is actually /dev/sdc. It would be different on your system depending on what else you have installed... how many drives, other USB devices, etc.

If it's so easy, Bruno, what security is there for my Linux installations on my computer. Anyone could just walk into my room here and crack my system. :(
If your computer is in a place where everybody can have a stab at it:First you can password protect the BIOS so they can not change the boot order to boot from a ( rescue ) CD. ( Maybe also put a lock on your box so they can not jumper-reset the BIOS )Next you can password protect the bootloader . . . both Lilo ( see Read here ) and Grub ( Read here ) can be protected.:( Bruno

That's pretty slim security. :(
Not at all . . . if you take all those measures your box is 100% safe . . even I myself would not be able to crack it. ;):( Bruno

What would be the device name for a flash drive........i mean during the installation i would ask where i would like to install right so what is the flash drive device name?
You can plug it in and immediately run
dmesg |tail

to see what its device name is.