LAN card dead?

epp_b

"Why won't my Internet work?!" is, unfortunately, a common question in this household :rolleyes:Anyway, this time it seems that my parents' computer is not connecting to the network (my computer is on the same network). I have rebooted numerous times, tested the cable, different ports on the router, and updated the driver for the card...nothing seems to be working.Any other ideas? Is this card kaput?

I didn't try that, but it is not connecting to the network, period (which is DHCP). The network light on the router isn't going on at all.

Try a different cable just to be sure, and a different port on the router.

cable: I tested the cable on my computer - works fine. I could try a different one, but I don't have another 50-footer.port: I already did with my cable and with their cable when I tested it on my computer (or did you mean to try it in a different port with a different cable?) Edited by epp_b

OK, I happen to have a spare router lying around so I plugged it into a power outlet (no WAN) and tested their computer with a different cable. Wait...wait...wait...no LAN lights.Tried the same with my computer - LAN light is on instantly.

epp_b after a recent thunder storm a client here lost his;cable modem,router,laser printer (connected to router),and the NICs in each of his pcs.All were plugged into surge protectors thougth the cable modem's one was old. The surge apparently came thru the broadband cable.Had any storms recently in your neighborhood? In addition to a new NIC you may want to look for a new surge protector.

Yes, actually this year has been particularly bad for storms as well as power outages/spikes/flickers/etc. I strongly feel that this is what caused this problem. More specifically, we just had a few power spikes (or flickers, I'm not sure) yesterday after which their network connection mysteriously disappeared. They have a surge protector, but no UPS, so it's most likely the power flickering that did it. My computer has been working fine throughout the entire season of storms and power problems, but I have a UPS.Anyway, got the network card in and the driver installed after a bit of complaining (they have a few unrelated problems on the software end of things) and they now have a network connection again, so the old NIC was definately fried.Thanks everyone!