Windows XP Hibernation

gautam

Have an MSI KT400 with Anhlon 1700XP. 512 mb ddr ram. ati radeon 7000. Windows 2000 sp4 and windows xp sp1 dualboot.Anyway heres the problem. About a week back my install of XP stopped allowing me to hibernate the system. I was able to hibernate fine before that on the same install. I know the PowerMgmt settings in the BIOS are correct. I am able to hibernate fine when using windows 2000. The powermgmt applet doesnt show the hibernate tab in XP.The strange thing is that everytime Xp boots it creates the "hiberfil.sys" file. And maintans a lock over it.Here what Ive tried11. Disabled Powermgmt in the Bios. Rebooted XP. Still hiberfil.sys is created.2. Enabled Powermgmt in BIOS. Rebooted Xp. Same effect3. Reinstalled SP1. Same problem.4. Booted into 2000, deleted the "hiberfil.sys" file created by XP. rebooted into XP. Same problem.Last major change I made to the system was to install the update XP-KB823980 (to keep msblaster ineffective and away). But im not sure if thats what caused the problem. Has anyone seen the same problem after installing the patch.Or any ideas on what more i could try.Cheers!

I thought that you needed hiberfil.sys for XP to put the files when you hibernate. Look at the size of it - if it's too small maybe it refuses to hibernate because it won't be able to store your exact configuration.I currently don't have XP installed so I can't check a size for you to measure against.I found this for the size

The hiberfil.sys file is space equal to the amount of physical RAM on the system, which Windows reserves for the hibernate power management feature. When the system goes into hibernation, the RAM’s contents are copied to that file. If you’re not using the hibernation feature, you can free up the drive space occupied by the file via the Control Panel’s Power Options applet. Select the Hibernate tab, uncheck the “Enable hibernation†box, and click OK. Windows will remove mention of hibernation from the Power Schemes tab and delete the hiberfil.sys file.

Hi, Q ~If you are sure the power management features and hibernation settings are correct in the BIOS, then to reinstall the missing 'Hibernation' tab in 'Power Options', you will need to do this:

• Right-click 'My Computer' > 'Properties' > 'Hardware' tab
  • Click 'Device Manager' button
  • Scroll down to & double-click 'System Devices'
  • Right-click 'ACPI Power Button' > 'Uninstall'
  • 'Yes' > close 'Device Manager' > reboot

OK...half way there B)

• Right-click 'My Computer' > 'Properties' > 'Hardware' tab
  • Click 'Add Hardware Wizard' button
  • 'Next' > let it search > Select 'Yes, I have already connected the hardware' > 'Next'
  • Under 'Installed hardware:', scroll down to bottom & select 'Add a new hardware device' > 'Next'
  • Select 'Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)' > 'Next'
  • Under 'Common hardware types:', scroll down to & double-click 'System Devices'
  • Under 'Manufacturer', select 'Microsoft Corporation'
  • Under 'Model', select 'ACPI Power Button'
  • 'Next' > 'Next' > 'Finish' > reboot

Now if you go to 'Control Panel' > 'Performance and Maintenance' > 'Power Options', you will have a 'Hibernate' tab. B)

Yes that was an approach I hadn' taken however, ACPI Power Button (or anything similar) doesnt show up in the list of new devices. It only shows Full Scrn Vdo drv for console.Im guessing that the reqd INF or SYS file is missing from the disk. An SFC scan didnt detect anything missing. Any idea on which particluar inf file could be missing.

I don't use Hibernate since I never turn my system off but did a search and I have these files:C:\WINDOWS\inf\acpi.inf 4727 8/29/2002 5:00 AM 8/29/2002 5:00 AMC:\WINDOWS\inf\acpi.PNF 12512 1/14/2003 2:11 PM 1/17/2003 11:16 PMC:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\acpi.sys 179328 8/29/2002 5:00 AM 8/29/2002 5:00 AMC:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\acpiec.sys 11648 8/29/2002 5:00 AM 8/29/2002 5:00 AM

• 3 weeks later...

Hibernate is a great feature when working properly! But others dreaded it! On my system, there are times when the PC will not go to hibernate if Outlook has received a new email and the prompt has popped up to tell me that there is incoming mail!GUATAM, have you attempted to go to the hibernate mode manually?Taskbar >> Start >> Turn Off Computer ..... >> While holding the SHIFT key >> Press the "Stand By" button (which changes to "Hibernate" button when the SHIFT key is pressed)!