Facebook voting is gone, but privacy issues just get worse

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Facebook voting is gone, but privacy issues just get worse - CNET

Facebook community voting is dead, making it even harder for users to influence the social network's increasingly user-hostile privacy decisions.

Facebook is rewriting a lot of its policies to make them easier to understand, surely a noble act. Options like being able to ask somebody who's tagged you in a post or photo to untag you, and the new ability to untag multiple photos at once, are helpful -- if minor -- tools. But with frequent hard-to-understand changes to its various privacy policies, Facebook has mostly just fostered apathy in the vast majority of its subscribers -- and confusion among those who are paying attention to what Facebook is doing with their activity and the resulting data.

One change that Facebook is making is to clarify that your Facebook timeline always has been public. (Posts that you have set to be less visible will remain so.) Many people haven't known that. ...

• 3 weeks later...

Easy. Facebook is a monopoly. "Everyone" is on the site. I do not live near any of my family, except for my sister. Facebook is the easiest way I have to connect with them, share pictures of our newborn son, etc. I could not do the same on Google Plus or Twitter. I think my sister has a Twitter account, but I know that no one else in my personal social circles is on Twitter.

What's interesting is that Facebook allowed voting in the first place. The users were never the driving force behind the site once advertising became prevalent. Why should facebook care about what the users think? Well, if facebook keeps the users happy (not pissed off) then they continue to come to the site, and advertisers keep coming. I don't think traffic has dropped for facebook ever, so they are keeping the users generally happy. This brings me to my question.... what other site allowed the users to vote on the governance of the site (ad supported sites only)?

As always, this disclaimer must be tacked on to any post made about facebook, any other social media site, bulletin board, BBS, etc. Frankly, it applies to the entire internet. If you don't want your personal information exploited, DO NOT post it online. If it is on a public facing server, someone could get to it somehow.

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

Easy. Facebook is a monopoly. "Everyone" is on the site. I do not live near any of my family, except for my sister. Facebook is the easiest way I have to connect with them...

I disagree with that. A private forum for your family and friends is very easy to set up and use; particularly if you use the pre-packaged ones like ProBoards, etc. If you happen to have your own domain/hosting, which is so cheap to come by these days, it's nothing to set up a private meeting place for family and friends using phpBB3 or a Simple Machines Forum or even Wordpress software. This option can be truly private; no search bots crawling on your site. no ads, no data mining, etc. These methods are no more complicated to set up and utilize than Facebook or G+... and MUCH more secure and private.

Facebook is popular because it's a fad. People like fads. It's a peer pressure thing to some extent. Your friends, kids, etc. rag you because you don't have a Facebook page. It used to be the same thing with My Space, or further back, an AOL email address. To each their own. You'll never find me on Facebook or Twitter. And because of that, I'll have a dilemma to deal with shortly...

Part of my fast-track Cisco cert program is resume creation, social networking (for job-hunting purposes), and Linkdin set up. Well, I'll be begging out of that because my true ID is very, VERY scarce on the Internet. I've used a pseudonymous identity online since I first became active on USENET 13 or so years ago. I plan to keep my "real ID" off the public Internet as long as possible.

Anywho...

Guest LilBambi

However, Facebook is one of the few sites that the Military has been very receptive about allowing even on deployment in dangerous areas.

If I was in the military, I would likely consider it strongly for that very reason.

Well, maybe LOL!

I disagree with that. A private forum for your family and friends is very easy to set up and use; particularly if you use the pre-packaged ones like ProBoards, etc. If you happen to have your own domain/hosting, which is so cheap to come by these days, it's nothing to set up a private meeting place for family and friends using phpBB3 or a Simple Machines Forum or even Wordpress software. This option can be truly private; no search bots crawling on your site. no ads, no data mining, etc. These methods are no more complicated to set up and utilize than Facebook or G+... and MUCH more secure and private.

All the above is fine assuming your family wishes to use such a solution. I had a bulletin board before. Only my sister could be convinced to use it. Too nerdy. Not as simple to post pictures and the like.

As far as the data mining is concerned.... what do I care that an ad seeking algorithm knows that I have a baby boy, Michael, that was born on Dec 10? What do I care that some part of facebook is aware that I am a Green Bay Packers fan who grew up in Wisconcin? I couldn't care less that Facebook may have me pegged as a sci-fi kind of guy. What is this information used for? Ads. I block ads at home! At work, the ads I do see are not even close to being relevant.

Facebook has not made a penny off me, because I see it for what it is- a platform to serve ads to me. All of which I ignore.

And, facebook does not require me to pay a monthly fee or administer my own PHP/mySQL application. That's a huge plus for me.

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

And, facebook does not require me to pay a monthly fee or administer my own PHP/mySQL application. That's a huge plus for me.

Adam

Well, like I said, @iAdam... to each their own. We use what's best for us. That's COOL! Choice is a vundebar thing. Ya! ;)

As far as the data mining is concerned.... what do I care that an ad seeking algorithm knows that I have a baby boy, Michael, that was born on Dec 10?

Through Facebook, there are several hundred of us who are able to hear about Michael daily & see pictures of him. That wouldn't likely be happening without FB.