Acer netbook opinion?

wa4chq

Hello-I've searched around and read some of the reviews for the Acer Aspire One 722-BZ197 Netbook and it looks pretty good. I wondered if anyone here has any first-hand knowledge that they could share? Thanks :">

Hello-I've searched around and read some of the reviews for the Acer Aspire One 722-BZ197 Netbook and it looks pretty good. I wondered if anyone here has any first-hand knowledge that they could share? Thanks :">
Basically, all the different brands that sell netbooks, sell the same product with the same features. Possibly, some of them could sell junk in the form of a cheap lid/display, or keyboards, or mother-boards. That said, some of them rip you off on the price, considering that mostly they all offer identical features. So you have to be careful on what you get. And they are 32 bit machines. As technology goes, it won't be long in the future, that 32 bit machines will become obscure. Most of the standard machines sold today, all have 64 bit capability. And, unless the manufacturer is cutting corners, a 64 bit OS comes installed, when you purchase it.Seeing that the prices of netbooks have crept up to almost the same price as low level standard machines, I have to question the reasoning of getting a netbook. A full-featured 64 bit laptop can be had for not much more than the cost of a netbook. It will have more storage space, and can handle more tasks, without tanking in the process.I have a smaller AcerONE netbook. I don't use it much. The keyboard keys are too small to easily hit only a single one. It is 100% used as a telephone appliance. I have a USB MagicJack telephone adapter plugged into it, and I leave it alone. It is on 24/7 to make/get phone calls. The other thing that I can say about it, it is slooow to do anything, almost to the point of full aggravation. The nice feature so far, considering that it is on 24/7, it's been reliable in that aspect. No breakdowns, so far!You asked for opinions, and what you see here, is based on my experience. Good luck on your decision.Cheers!

I own an Acer Aspire One 722-BZ454 US with an 11+" screen; it is a lot larger than the 7" Asus netbook but still light enough and small enough to travel with comfortably.I'm not sure what the difference between the two models is because the specs look the same.It comes with either a 250GB or a 320GB (even though the label states 250), has the same cpu and graphics and same size screen.Mine came with Windows 7 Home Premium and 2GB of RAM. I should have mentioned this is a 64 bit version of win 7 home premium. Not all netbooks come with 32 bit versions and Win 7 starter edition.From conditioning the battery, it will run 5 hours with wifi on and 6 hours with wifi off (no idling it was in constant use for the entire 5 or 6 hours because I wanted a real world test).I hooked up a portable DVD burner (with the Y cable) and watched a movie with no hiccups.

Edited by zlim

Onederer and Zlim...thanks for the replies....one reason for the netbook is because of traveling with something smaller then a laptop on planes. Now with checked bags costing I'm thinking of downsizing what I carry on....the laptop takes up lots of room. Also since I've also downsized my living space, having a netbook wouldn't take up much room on the boat. Have a nice evening. :">

I have the same netbook that Liz/zlim has and love it. I also have a new Acer desktop that's a month old with the same OS, Win7 Home Premium, and an Acer monitor. No problems.I believe Acer made or owned eMachines since 8/07. I've used an eMachines tower since 2006 daily, 24/7, with absolutely no problems even though it was actually built when Gateway owned the brand.I got the netbook in July when Target had it on sale. My net cost was $199 + tax.