eEye Blink Personal

Citadel80

Hello All,Has anyone used or heard of the eEye Blink Personal Security program?http://www.eeye.com/html/products/index.htmlI read some info about this suite and decided to download it. It was initially an enterprise security program and the company decided to release a home/personal edition. It has a firewall, anti-virus, malware protection and numerous other items.It is a 49 mb download and then the updates are another 10 - 12 mb. It updates easily enough but on Friday and Saturday two of its modules could not be updated due to server maintenance. How long does server maintenance take?Eventually, I uninstalled the program. As you install, Blink Personal shows a popup dialog that lists various security programs you must uninstall before its installation can continue. The list is long and includes all the various security programs we all use. I went to Blink's forums to seek info but all the info is vague and really doesn't answer the questions about how long server maintenance takes. One more item:I have dial-up so automatic updates only work if I'm on-line and I have other things to do than click the Blink icon in the system tray to update. Broadband users just wait for the scheduled updates.Anyone know of this software?

I'm looking for any reviews.Here is the old forumhttp://www.eeye.com/%7Eapps/modules/forum/...ms.asp?filter=5and the new forumhttp://forums.eeye.com/forums/default.aspx?GroupID=4The first post in this thread from June of this year, said Steve Gibson recommended it in episode 91 of Security Now.http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2...;c=22&t=415I see if I can find that episode and post a link so you can download it and hear what he says.Scroll down this page http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htmuntil you see episode 91. You can hear it, read it or download a pdf.

Edited by zlim

Thanks Liz for the information and some new links.I'll probably do a reinstall tomorrow and then later in the week see if the follow-on updates do indeed occur. I'm always trolling security websites and forums and then I download and test the software. I've used them all but I just like to try new things good and bad.I always run with DropMyRights on one computer and use a limited user account on another. I've never had a virus or malware (that any of the various programs detected) and I don't do stupid things but I have friends and relatives that do. So I am the tester of free security software and make recommendations accordingly.I have one of those links from Blink but the others I haven't seen and I haven't had the time to fully research. Hopefully Blink's servers are back up for updates.Thanks,Citadel '80To Anyone Interested:I reinstalled the Blink Personal Security from eEye @ 10 AM EST USA.The install went well and Blink updated its main module but still cannot update the last two modules of the four due to servers being down - due to scheduled maintenance. Blink says all modules of its program are in the green and secure.... I just can't update 2 of 4 modules after initial installation. I'm back to using Avira AntiVir or Grisoft AVG and Comodo with limited user accounts or DropMyRights.If anyone is interested in this program, zlim gave me a link to Steve Gibson's website where Steve Gibson & Leo Laporte have a discussion with Marc Maiffret - one of the founders of eEye.http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htmEpisode 91I think I'm finished with Blink for now.

Edited by Citadel80

Thanks for testing and reporting back. If I see any other posts asking about this, I'll point them here to do a read about possible problems.Just a question, is there any way to download an update and manually update? Some other programs have this feature for any problems with auto-updating.I've also heard/read murmurings about AntiVir being good but also having a problem, at times, with updates.

Thanks for testing and reporting back. If I see any other posts asking about this, I'll point them here to do a read about possible problems.Just a question, is there any way to download an update and manually update? Some other programs have this feature for any problems with auto-updating.I've also heard/read murmurings about AntiVir being good but also having a problem, at times, with updates.
I went to eEye's website and poked around for exactly what you are thinking. I didn't see anything like that. I had troubles with AVG updating years ago and they have on their website separate downloads you can do manually. I do this often since I have dial-up. I just go to the library with a zip drive and go download crazy. In fact, on Oct. 8, 2007, that's how I got Blink and all the newer versions of the popular security stuff. I then come home and add all this stuff to a 10 gb partition of nothing but downloads and updates. Every program I've ever downloaded is on that partition and DVD backups.Thanks for your effort and info. I really appreciate the info about the podcasts. With dial-up podcasts are not really possible but I have downloaded all the Security Now transcripts and have been reading them all day. Great Info!THANKS!

Hello,It looks like they are using Norman's anti-malware software. Norman has been around for a very long time and is a well-known and well-respected company in the anti-malware industry, so I'm sure the protection level against those types of threats will be good.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Thanks to all that have replied to my inquiry.Tonight 11/13/2007 - 0230 hrs - EST USAI went back to the Blink forums and found an answer to my main question:I could not update 2 of the 4 modules to Blink. I wasn't the only one. Blink had scheduled maintenance for its servers but it took longer than expected and an outage of that length (4 Days) will never occur again.See the link below:http://forums.eeye.com/forums/p/403/1741.aspx#1741Blink's servers will be up and running today - 11/13/2007.I'm going to try another install/update to see if all is well.Update:I tried to update on 11/14/2007 and again 2 of the 4 modules updated. Then the last 2 updates began updating (12-13 MB) but at 6 MB of the third module's update the update quit and restarted. I tried it again and again it occurred. I said to myself that this isn't worth the trouble and uninstalled the program. Too many problems with Blink right now, especially since it does not play well with other security software. If you are using Blink you are out there alone and if you can't update you are out of luck. For me Blink is a major disappointment.

Edited by Citadel80