Dell Dimension L500cx System Upgrades

jodef

My Dell currently has a 500 Mhz Celeron processor and 256 MB SDRAM.The motherboard seems capable of handling up to a 1Ghz Celeron processor which I can get fo about US 40. the max memory it can take is 512MB currntly it has 2 - 128MB sticks so to upgrade means purchasing 256 MB sticks crucial puts the cost at about US 120 for the both.Ok should I get only the processor or do you think the extra memory will have a significant impact on performance that it would be worth shelling out the money for that as well?Your recommendations / suggestions Thx. ;)

Interesting. You can dbl your processor speed or dbl your RAM or dbl both. ;) I would do the processor 1st. Then wait for sales/rebates and get the SDRAM for about $25 ea. If you replace just 1 SDRAM you will save some money and increase your total by 50%.How much impact this will have overall depends on your OS and what apps you primarily use.BTW From what I can see of your pc's specs at Dell.com your board will handle up to a 733MHz not 1GHz(1000MHz).

BTW From what I can see of your pc's specs at Dell.com your board will handle up to a 733MHz not 1GHz(1000MHz)
Can you tell me where on the site you located that info because Dell's support email provides different info.Thx for pointing it out though will have to investigate further.

That type of speed jump could require a BIOS update - which may not be able to read the 1k at a higher multiplier. I would check with Dell to make sure a update is available. ;) Good luck. ;)

My Dell currently has a 500 Mhz Celeron processor and 256 MB SDRAM.The motherboard seems capable of handling up to a 1Ghz Celeron processor which I can get fo about US 40. the max memory it can take is 512MB currntly it has 2 - 128MB sticks so to upgrade means purchasingĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  256 MB sticks crucial puts the cost at about US 120 for the both.Ok should I get only the processor or do you think the extra memory will have a significant impact on performance that it would be worth shelling out the money for that as well?Your recommendations / suggestions Thx. ;)
$120 for two 256 chips ;) I paid $89 (with shipping) for 512 MB of DDR-320 from Crucial. That's not a good deal.Definately upgrade that memory - I have 1 gigabyte of ram, and it's plenty (for now B)). I would get the ram before the processor, but in the end upgrade both.

BTW From what I can see of your pc's specs at Dell.com your board will handle up to a 733MHz not 1GHz(1000MHz)
Can you tell me where on the site you located that info because Dell's support email provides different info.Thx for pointing it out though will have to investigate further.
Dell Dimension LxxxCX specsBTW Sunday's ads: Circuit City: 256MB Kingston PC2700 DDR $24.99. OfficeMax 256MB PC2100 DDR $19.99.

Dell Dimension LxxxCX specsBTW Sunday's ads: Circuit City:Ā  256MB Kingston PC2700 DDR $24.99.Ā  OfficeMax 256MB PC2100 DDR $19.99
Thanks EdP was having some problems accessing site info but eventually found it and you are correct.
Intel Celeron processor that runs at 433, 500, 533, 566, 600, 633, 667, 700, or 733 MHz internally and 66 MHz externally or 700 or 800 MHz internally and 100 MHz externallyMicroprocessor mounting socket 370
Ok a quick google search I found OEM socket 370 Celeron 733 Mhz for US 80 - 120 & socket 370 Celeron 733 Mhz for US 20 - 40.What's the difference in terms of do I need OEM model or is there some advantage to using it? :huh:Edit : the system uses non-ECC SDRAM 168-pin modules 100Mhz and seems the avg price around 60US any ideas on where I can find them at a more modest price. Edited by jodef

EdPGood find for jodef! ;) jodefI don't think you will find a "BIG" difference in performance between a 500 & 733mhz processor.As previously mentioned - more memory is the way to go.

SDRAM 168-pin modules 100Mhz and seems the avg price around 60US any ideas on where I can find them at a more modest price.
Sunday's ads: Best Buy: K-Byte $24.99 after rebate.RAM frequently has rebates. Shop around. You shouldn't have to pay more than $25 for one if you watch the ads and get there early. But a quick search of the web shows prices similar to what your planning on. With a 733MHz processor being you're upper limit I'd recommend looking for the RAM upgrade 1st, but wait for the sales.

Sunday's ads: Best Buy: K-Byte $24.99 after rebate.RAM frequently has rebates.Ā  Shop around.Ā  You shouldn't have to pay more than $25 for one if you watch the ads and get there early.Ā  But a quick search of the web shows prices similar to what your planning on.
Thx for suggestions EdP unfortunately not in the US so more or less stuck with internet purchasing but I'll spend some time looking around.

not in the US so more or less stuck with internet purchasing
Oops, I didn't realize. But if stores here are having sales/rebates I would think the same might be possible elsewhere.Well here is 256MB for $49.99 after a rebate. Still for more than what I had hoped to find. :(But here is some for $36-$38 and no rebate. :unsure:

Guest LilBambi

Please be very careful in choosing RAM for your Dell Dimension L500cx -- note the following quote from the Crucial.com site (that Neil suggested - I also use Crucial.com as well) about RAM for your computer (it doesn't say this on ALL computer memory, so it must be important in this case!):

Important information about your computerYour system only supports modules made with a specific type of chips. While you might find what appears to be the exact same memory for a lower price elsewhere, chances are good that the cheaper memory will not work in your system. The Crucial Memory Selector only selects memory that is 100% guaranteed compatible with your system or we'll give you your money back! Learn more about chip density, memory prices, and compatibility here.
Here's the page for your computer at Crucial.com:http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...eries&submit=Go

Fran thx for the info and the link however doublechecked the cost of the 256MB stick at crucial US119.99 per stick :D I'm not willing to pay that price I think I can put together my own system for a few more dollars.Did notice that statement about system supporting specific memory modules when I first checked the prices.When I first bought my system it had 64MB RAM had a friend with 2-128MB sticks and bought it installed it w/out a second thought :blink: never had a problem.Now with all this info on chip density,comptibility etc would never dream of doing that.I guess that's why ignorance is bliss.Anyway guys thx for all your help :D but seems it's not too much more expensive to build my own system.

Guest LilBambi

I hear ya! It is a bit much.Another thought would be to take the 128MB chip that you have in your computer currently (since it does work) with you to a local computer store and see if they can match it. (Check their policy on returning memory ... some places won't take it back ... exchange only.)Obviously you did find one that works once. ;)Those statements that are generally made are to keep the frustration level down to purchasers trying to get the right memory and there are so many differences even between PC100 and PC100 RAM! Also Crucial takes pride in making sure the memory that you purchase from them will work for your system beyond a shadow of a doubt. You put it in and it works, period. But if it is specialized memory that may or may not be available elsewhere, you will pay more for it through Crucial.But, that doesn't necessarily mean no other memory will work. If you are willing to do the legwork and/or take a chance on having to return memory or use it in another computer if it doesn't work, you could probably find the right memory at a much lower cost.I did this with a computer that I have. In this motherboard only PC66 memory was listed for my computer at Crucial and Crucial was charging a fair bit more for the memory for this motherboard too.I tried some PC100 memory that I had gotten, and it worked fine. Like you I got lucky the first time. Later when I did some upgrades, I tried to add another PC100 stick and it wouldn't work. (I also can't go to PC133 memory in this board because the frontside bus is 66mhz and you can only go one step up, not two). So I have 128MB in this one till I can find a PC100 to match the existing one or get a 256 that I can replace it with, that it will like.Not everyone is willing to do this though. I certainly wouldn't want to do that with a client's computer, but for mine... ;)Overall though, I have gotten some very good pricing at Crucial, only a few cases were the prices higher, like for yours and mine. As a side note: It was amazing the difference between memory pricing from Dell and Crucial. Crucial always can do better than Dell on memory pricing. I would never buy memory directly from Dell unless it was part of a new system deal.

Anyway guys thx for all your helpĀ  but seems it's not too much more expensive to build my own system.
If you go by Dell and Crucial prices I agree. In fact with those prices you can buy a whole new system, after rebates. :thumbsup: Last week I replaced a single 128MB DIMM in a Dell Dimension 4300 with a 256MB K-Byte DIMM from Staples and it works just fine. $29.99, after rebate. :) I didn't get there early enough to get two which is why I got only one. But the next sale, I will get the other one.Some of the "fine print" that these memory vendors are spouting is nothing more than marketing hype to get the unsuspecting to buy their expensive overpriced parts.