Playing MP4 Tutorials

kamicota

Hi allHave downloaded every plugin in the MDV repository for VLC - but still :lol: VLC will not play the tutorialsMovie Player needs Fluendo Playback pluginsAm I missing something here and is there another player that will play MP4's???Cheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

just guessing here, Colin.win32-codecsgstreamer plug-insthese are probably in the plf repo.the win32 codecs should allow mplayer to play mp4 files.the gstreamer plug-ins should allow movie player (Totem) to play mp4.maybe vlc will work once these other codecs are installed.if you want to convert the files then ffmpeg is the utility to use. http://howto-pages.org/ffmpeg/

well CyborGot some of the gstreamer plugins - and NOW have video both in VLC and Movie Player (totem) but NO sound Am still searching - looked at the link re ffmpeg but CONFUSION :thumbsup: still reigns thereCheers for YearsColin :sorcerer:

This is strangeTook Tutorials from Lappy and put them on AMD Quad PCLinuxOS 2010.12 Gnome and they workSo what is missing from Lappy MDV beats meCheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

possibly faad2 codec as well. make sure you get faad2 rather than faad. it should come with the aac codec which should solve the audio problem.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAACfor converting to ogv there is ffmpeg2theora. it's a seperate utility from ffmpeg and easy to use. this will convert the mp4 to ogv. simply type the command and the file.

ffmpeg2theora file_to_be_converted.mp4

here's some examples of audio extracting and audio conversion i've been doing using ffmpeg.

ffmpeg -i input.flv -ar 44100 -ab 160k -ac 2 output.mp3ffmpeg -i input.m4a output.mp3ffmpeg -i input.wav -acodec libmp3lame -ab 192k output.mp3ffmpeg -i input.wmv output.mp3ffmpeg -i input.flac -acodec libmp3lame -ac 2 -ab 128k output.mp3

Thanks SteveWhen I get back on to Lappy will look at doing that - then maybe on MDV on a deskyAm trying to see how to work with Layers Tutorials right now - BUT have NOT found what is relevant to adding multiple images into one picture with different Opacities.Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Thanks SteveEnthusiasm IS WANING - can NOT find what I need - all seem the basics of working with Layers - and will just have to try two different images and see if I can get the background layer to show through a lesser opacity layer pictureTine for a little self-help R&R eh :thumbsup: Cheers for YearsColin :sorcerer:

... and will just have to try two different images and see if I can get the background layer to show through a lesser opacity layer picture...
I guess this is GIMP you're talking about? This is easy, just use the opacity slider on the top image. Drag the one you want opaque to the top of the list of layers. You can also cut a selection from a layer and fill with transparency to see part of a lower layer, like in my avatar.Or is it something more complicated you are trying to do?

RogerThink you hit the nail on the head - have been looking at all the other OS programs and you have just given my search a new dimension --->>>GIMP.Yet even the easy way you suggest has me a little on edge - but at least I can give it a try.Gave it a quick try IN GIMP --->>> MOI :( :clap: :hug: - may have chose wrong images - but the one I added to change opacity was NOT the same full size as the background one. Yet have MADE progress - Maybe now have to see how to cut out and paste too in the layer palette. Cheers for yearsColin :lol:

Edited by kamicota

SteveMust truly thank you as have just replaced MDV with PCLinuxOS 2010.12 Gnome on Lappy and went to repository and found a few extra faad2 additions (one for quick time) - So lappy now has these installed.Early days yet as am sill exploring layers how tos' in several Graphics programs and also experimenting in layers too.Up to now Gimp seems more SUITABLE :thumbsup: to my graphically technically challenged styleCheers for yearsColin :harhar:

Edited by kamicota