building LFS

albrtijo

I'm trying to work LFS (linuxfromscratch) and as usual I've run into a problem beyond me. (I may know the solution but the short-circuits in my head won't let me find it.)I can chug through the beginning instructions okay, but then I have to quit for supper. When I go back and restart my project, none of the work I had done is installed. "tools" is gone, "sources" is gone, all is gone.HIH!!! do I save my work?I've searched with Google, been to Borders (books) for a free scrounge, stemmed to sterned Bruno's Tips, and I'm so frustrated I'm threatening to go back to back to CPM on my KAYPRO if someone doesn't help me.please albrtijo

albrtijo, it's a long term project, meaning you won't do it in an evening or a couple of hours, unless you have a rig with the horsepowers needed, say a powerrig. :thumbsup:

albrtijo, it's a long term project, meaning you won't do it in an evening or a couple of hours, unless you have a rig with the horsepowers needed, say a powerrig. :thumbsup:
Are you guys saying I have to go through 200+ pages on one startup? The guy who wrote the book doesn't say that, may he have half my dizzy spells!!!albrtijo

No albrtijo, I just would remind you to the fact that the more horsepowers your machine has, the machine you're using LFS with, the better it is. :thumbsup:

No albrtijo, I just would remind you to the fact that the more horsepowers your machine has, the machine you're using LFS with, the better it is. :thumbsup:
Okay, then what command do I use to "save" by build whenever I have to close down?albrtijo

Back a few years ago when I did LFS I just kept the system running . . . . ( it's only a few days ) . . . once you have a kernel and the bootloader set up it is easier to shut down and reboot the system you are building.:blink: Bruno

Back a few years ago when I did LFS I just kept the system running . . . . ( it's only a few days ) . . . once you have a kernel and the bootloader set up it is easier to shut down and reboot the system you are building.;) Bruno
Bruno and striker:"A few days" at your speed; at my speed a month of Sundays. I thought the project might help me understand the "guts" of linux a little better. But with my memory over the necessary time that might be futile. I'll think about it. I do have a little Toshiba in the backroom not doing anything, maybe I'll fire it up.Thanks very much.albrtijo

albrtijo, is it possible to use that little toshiba for LFS ?If yes, then you don't have to touch any of your distros on your main computer.Hook it up to AC with its AC adapter and start the LFS adventure. Just keep it always connected and powered up, day and night, and like Bruno said :

once you have a kernel and the bootloader set up it is easier to shut down and reboot the system you are building.
Your main machine you can use like you're used to, but also to ask questions while you're doing LFS on your toshiba. ;)

albrtijo, is it possible to use that little toshiba for LFS ?If yes, then you don't have to touch any of your distros on your main computer.Hook it up to AC with its AC adapter and start the LFS adventure. Just keep it always connected and powered up, day and night, and like Bruno said :Your main machine you can use like you're used to, but also to ask questions while you're doing LFS on your toshiba. ;)
Gotcha!

Gotcha!
If you do have to shutdown or reboot for any reason whatsoever you have to get the LFS system back into the state it was in when you began. That means you will have to mount the tools and LFS partitions like you did at the beginning in order to get access to the tool chains again.

If you do have to shutdown or reboot for any reason whatsoever you have to get the LFS system back into the state it was in when you began. That means you will have to mount the tools and LFS partitions like you did at the beginning in order to get access to the tool chains again.
Peachy:In other words, start over from scratch. I've done that many times.I,m stalled now at "../binutils-and so on". Do the two dots mean to enter the location of "binutils-and so on", such as "lfs/tools/binutils-"?Thanks for your info. albrtijo

albrtijo, the two ".." mean "one directory down from where you are" . . . . so if your pwd is $LFS/tools the computer understands that it has to look in $LFSB) Bruno

albrtijo, the two ".." mean "one directory down from where you are" . . . . so if your pwd is $LFS/tools the computer understands that it has to look in $LFSB) Bruno
Bruno,Simple Simon double checking: I don't have to replace the two dots?albrtijo

Simple Simon double checking: I don't have to replace the two dots?
Correct . . . your computer knows what to do with the dots ;):hysterical: Bruno

albrtijo,no, no, just the commands to mount the LFS partition and the tools partition. You may have to set the $LFS environment variable, too.

albrtijo,no, no, just the commands to mount the LFS partition and the tools partition. You may have to set the $LFS environment variable, too.
Here's my latest block:lfs6cd:lfs ~ $ mkdir ../binutils-buildmkdir : cannot create directory '../binutils-build' : permission deniedlfs6cd:lfs ~ $ suPassword: xxxxxxxSorrylfs6cd:lfs ~ $ root-su: root: command not found I followed the book slowly, but I still could have made a mistake. If any of you don't have an enlightening word for this situation, I'll drop back a few steps and retry -- all the way to: 'mke2fs /dev/hda8' if necessary.albrtijo

On a side note:

lfs6cd:lfs ~ $ mkdir ../binutils-build
Your command there is not 100% correct . . . it should have been
mkdir -v ../binutils-build

But I think your mistake is already here: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/6...addinguser.html where you make the lfs user and make him owner of the /mnt/lfs directory.Only in case lfs is the owner of the /mnt/lfs directory it can use the mkdir command to make new directories.B) Bruno

On a side note: Your command there is not 100% correct . . . it should have been
mkdir -v ../binutils-build

But I think your mistake is already here: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/6...addinguser.html where you make the lfs user and make him owner of the /mnt/lfs directory.Only in case lfs is the owner of the /mnt/lfs directory it can use the mkdir command to make new directories.B) Bruno

Bruno:Out of courtesy I have to face the music and own up to this. I couldn't do Chap 5.4.1 "mkdir ../binutils-build" I finally realized, because I was not in root. But when I tried "su", and then "Passwd: xxxxxxx" I'd get "Sorry".Today being Monday, a new week, my gray matter raised up on one elbow and remembered "root" doesn't have a password. I hit "Enter" instead and I'm cookin' again.Thanks, Brunoalbrtijo

Bruno:Out of courtesy I have to face the music and own up to this. I couldn't do Chap 5.4.1 "mkdir ../binutils-build" I finally realized, because I was not in root. But when I tried "su", and then "Passwd: xxxxxxx" I'd get "Sorry".Today being Monday, a new week, my gray matter raised up on one elbow and remembered "root" doesn't have a password. I hit "Enter" instead and I'm cookin' again.Thanks, Brunoalbrtijo
I'm ready to build "binutils-2.15.91.0.2" but I can't find it. I've scoured through the manual again, but it appears that the author thinks I should know where to look. I've tried "find" and "locate" but all I get is snickers -- from behind the screen I think.I don't know how to expose the contents of the disk. Help!!!albrtijo

It should be in /mnt/lfs/sources ;)B) Bruno
Bruno,It looks like I'm back to one of my familiar spots: start over again. Neither "/mnt/lfs/sources" nor "/mnt/lfs/tools" are populated (both empty). Since I don't have an idea how or when "binutils-2.15.91.0.2" was supposed to be put in "/mnt/lfs/sources", I'll be on the lookout on this install.Another weirdo for me was when I noticed that each new entry was preceded by "\U:~$" Do you know why the "lfs6-whatever" was replaced by "\U:~$" ?Thanks for your help, Brunoalbrtijo

Since I don't have an idea how or when "binutils-2.15.91.0.2" was supposed to be put in "/mnt/lfs/sources"
At the point where you had to download all the packages and patches . . . /mnt/lfs/sources is where you had to download them to ;)B) Bruno

At the point where you had to download all the packages and patches . . . /mnt/lfs/sources is where you had to download them to ;):thumbsup: Bruno
Bruno, I haven't started to reinstall LFS yet but I ran across something discombobulating below. But first this little teaser. My prompt changed from '"lfs-etc" to "\U~$", then to lfs~$ and back to "\U~$". Do you or anyone have any ideas about this.Here's my newest worry:Hello, I know most of you don't hang out in #LFS-Support, but rightnow there is no support for Ubuntu Feisty 7.04 release. They do nothave a libc6-dev package for the distro and no one can build binutilsbecause of having no crt1.o and gcc won't even build dummy.c. Ifanyone comes across someone using Feisty, suggest they use etch atmost. Maybe just use the livecd. That'd be better. For now, I havetested and confirmed that anyone using feisty will not get an LFSbuild going. They'll end up using Debian etch, something other, orthe livecd. Feisty is not recommended, at all.I'm using PCLinuxos 2007, but for all I know ???????Thanks for your time.albrtijo

I'm using PCLinuxos 2007, but for all I know ???????
Didn't you do the "check" from http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/6...e/hostreqs.html ?? If it passes PCLos is suited to build LFS !Sure you can maybe better use the LFS-Live CD . . . that makes you sure you have all the tools needed.About the changing prompt: it has been a few years since I have done my LFS, details like that I really am unable remember . . . sorry. ;):thumbsup: Bruno

Didn't you do the "check" from http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/6...e/hostreqs.html ?? If it passes PCLos is suited to build LFS !Sure you can maybe better use the LFS-Live CD . . . that makes you sure you have all the tools needed.About the changing prompt: it has been a few years since I have done my LFS, details like that I really am unable remember . . . sorry. ;);) Bruno
I don't know whether it's good or bad, at my age, to be able to learn something new everyday, especially when that thing is the same thing I learned yesterdayThanks,albrtijo

Here is a link to the LFS Live CD:http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/livecd/That will give you the best starting point :whistling: :D Bruno
Bruno.A disk came with the book but it won't run "windows" version often. I tried to use "startx" again today but all I could get was a screen full of nonsense. I'm wondering if the disk is faulty and the cause of all those failures and funny things like "\Ulfs$".I have downloaded another copy and it has worked from "startx" the right way. I'll give LFS build another try.Thanks again for your considerationalbrtijo