Hobbies?

SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Oviously, your all pretty interested in computers, but what area of computers interests you the most? What do all you do other than computers and work?I suppose i have to start this one...What first got me interested into computers was web design. It's a great way to get into everything! So, i'm keeping an interest in that now...but, i'm also interested in programming... i guess because i have really no idea how to, other than stuff like HTML and CSS. I've got a book on Perl that i am going to read this summer and hopefully that should get me going :) I'm also intrested in computer security, but, again, i don't know anything but the very basics. (don't worry, i got on book on security too :o)Out side of computers, my hobbies are music and bicycling. Unfortunately, school takes over most of my life (no offence Teacher;)). I play piano mostly, but i play percussion stuff when needed (not usually set though). I've been attending a local drum circle lately, which has got me interested in the djembe (African hand drum).I ride a Cannondale F2000 ('97 i think). XTR rear derialer, XT front. XT rear v-brake and levers/shifters with Avid front v-brakes. Easton handle bars. CODA cranks, petals, and barends. FATTY Head shock. I think they call the paint job 'chameleon'. I really lucked out with this bike. Got it used in great condition for an even better price!Enough about me. What do you all do?

:o There is so much to learn with computers that I don't have time for much else. When I first started with an old 486 and found out that I had to pay $55 at the local repair shop every time I stuffed it up, I soon decided to learn how to do it myself. I like building my own and buying second hand ones at the right price and doing them up and selling them. I'm also learning FreeBSD and programming in Java, VB6 and C++.Sometimes I even go to sleep!Joy

Hiking is probably number one. Also yoga and reading (eagerly awaiting the next Harry Potter novel). Love almost all music except country western and contemporary jazz. I tell my wife that I'm such a well balanced person because I like everything from the Sex Pistols to Mozart (as she rolls her eyes). Trying to reestablish myself into regular habit of meditation.Acadia.

SonicDragon
reading (eagerly awaiting the next Harry Potter novel).
Ditto! I wish i had time for meditation! Or, at least enough will power to make time for it out of all the other things i want to be doing.

Guest Paracelsus

Hiking for me too. Especially guided hikes to learn about the local flora, fauna and natural history of whatever area I'm visiting. also, attending lectures at the two Universities in Denton.When the weather gets too hot in the summer, I turn to my stamp and coin collections.

You writing a book Sonic??? :lol: Well, I really like traveling. Hiking, camping, fishing, reading, shovels, ale, playing sports, going to museums of all sorts, the zoo, movies, shovels, history, music, finding odd festivals around my state, boating, amusement parks and shovels.

boating, amusement parks and shovels.
Glad you mentioned the shovel. It might get deep in here.I spend as much time reading sometimes as on my computer. Summers in the water boogie boarding or just riding the waves (no I don't surf :lol: ). Love to travel. Spend a lot of time with the neighborhood kids, keeping them going from place to place. Movies too. My idea of camping is in a luxury hotel, but I do like to travel.

Gee... hobbies... hmm... I'm not sure I even need to answer this question! :DBesides the obvious, I love playing video games (PC or PS2)... I also love listening to music (see the music thread for that info)...P.S. I'm not actually a Golf pro... Just love the game (play it often), and a friend gave me the nickname back in high school.... Works well as a screenname (use it for just about everything). B)

Don't know that it counts as a hobby, but if I'm not in front of a computer or at work, I'm with my animals. 3 dogs, 4 cats, 2 boa constrictors and an iguana. I've raised everything from a gray wolf (for Idaho Fish & Game) to ferrets, rats to fish. I also love to garden, and promise to bore you all with pics soon. I read at every meal, trying to read a book a week. When I was iving in Idaho, most of my free time was spent out in the mountains or backcountry. Now that I'm back in the city...not so much. My dogs are all older now and don't get around as well as they once did, so instead of 10 mile hikes, we do "around-the-block" walks now. I write constantly, and have several full wastebaskets of evidence. In the future, my spare time will be spent bringing peace to the world and curing all illness.

Absorbine_Sr
Don't know that it counts as a hobby, but if I'm not in front of a computer or at work, I'm with my animals. 3 dogs, 4 cats, 2 boa constrictors and an iguana.
Sounds like home! My wife and I have 3 retired Racing Greyhounds, 1 Cat (soon to add another) and a Ball Python. We're also into motorsports and automobiles in general. And I personally love to read more than anything. I always seem to have 3 books going at a time. Very little fiction any more as I find the world is strange/interesting/scary enough without making it up.Oh, and I collect episodes of the TV program Mystery Science Theater 3000.A_Sr.

Guest genaldar

To be honest the part of computers I love the most is tweaking and troubleshooting. After a lan party once it took me three days to get my computer to display again. I loved every minute of it.I also like to read, science fiction, fiction, historical, fantasy, magazines, etc. My friends dad got me into science fiction real hardcore a couple years back (I read 50 books in one month). I want to track down some more books from the series he had. Especially one about a lost batallion of civil war soldiers transplanted to an alternate universe with aztecs and other ancient people. My magazines are pretty widespread; information week, network computing, pc world, pc magazine, maxim, stuff, fhm, playboy, pc gamer, egm, game pro, sports illustrated, espn the magazine.I also play games. I play almost everything, my brother owns almost every major console of the last 10 years, only missing the portables. He even has some systems most people don't remember (like the x-eye, cdx and nomad). Right now I'm playing mostly highheat baseball 2004 (pc) and phantasy star collection (gba) at home. I haven't really started phantasy star yet, but it has 3 of my favorite rpgs; phantasy star (originally on sega master system), phantasy star II (genesis) and phantasy star III (also genesis) on it so I'm excited.I also love tv and movies (I'm gonna go watch predator for the millionth time in a few minutes). I mostly watch the history channel, the news channels, comedy central, hbo, cartoon network, fox sports net and espn.I like music, but I'm more of a visual person so I use it as background noise while I'm working or reading (I'm listening to the new lisa marie presley currently, the cd is ok but she moves so much like her father in the videos that its a little disconcerting).Lastly I'm planning on gettting backs into comics this summer. Last summer I read through my old ones and was going to buy some new ones, but I found out that my favorite x-man had been killed. I just found out he's back in an alternate universe comic so I've got to pick up 30 or so issues and catch up.

Guest LilBambi

Acadia --LOL! Enjoyed that! :P---I really enjoy most things, but particularly; computers, camping, hiking, reading, listening to music, watching movies and spending time with family and friends.I enjoy at least a few songs/pieces of just about every genre of music.Reading and movies; scifi, action, mystery, comedy, fantasy, scientific, historical, comic books, to name a few.I really have such varied interests that it might just be easier to say what I don't like :P :blink:PS. RE: Pets. We now only have one Cockatiel as a pet. But I have had dogs, cats, fish, birds, guinea pig, mice, even had a chameleon. Would love a ferret and a parrot and another dog....I really miss our dog of 15 yrs.

Edited by LilBambi

Love almost all music except country western and contemporary jazz.  I tell my wife that I'm such a well balanced person because I like everything from the Sex Pistols to Mozart (as she rolls her eyes).
Me too. Except I think Joe Strummer and the Clash were the best punk band of all time! I can't stand most of the C&W coming out of Nashville, but if you want some real good country/folk music then maybe give the following a listen -- I bet you'll like!: Blue Rodeo, Wilco, Neko Case, The Fembots, Uncle Tupelo, Blue Mountain, Calexico, Cowboy Junkies, Steve Earle, as well as their influences like Hank Williams (the original, not Jr nor III) and Johnny Cash.As to hobbies, computers became my primary one I bought my first one (a 386DX in 1992). And now that I've been working extensively with computers for the past 6 years I've focussed my computer hobbying to web design, because I get to do the networking, building and tweaking stuff at work. But I also enjoy reading, especially philosophy, political history, and Harry Potter. I used to bicycle a lot, even got into a few amateur road races/criteriums, and still enjoy the occassional family bike ride. The other thing I like to do is photography, but, I've scaled back in recent years as I realized how expensive photo finishing costs can be if you're doing this as an amateur. I want to get a digital camera, but have been holding back until I find a high megapixel one that has all the manual features of a professional SLR at a reasonable price.

Hobbies besides computers include - hiking,hunting,fishing,camping, pretty much the outdoorsman type stuff. I also like to do carpentry since that was my previous profession. I got all the tools for it so I might as well use them.