Download/Installation Questions

friendofdot

Because I've been unable to get to the Firebird web site and their forums, am hopeful to get instx here and not tie up the website. First, is there a Firebird 0.7 version with an installer for Windows? Have had better luck with this than any other version. Second, do I install 0.7 over 0.6.1 or uninstall the previous version? This question also applies to Thunderbird. BTW, I read most of what everyone has written in this forum about Firebird and could have missed these instx. If that is the case, I apologize. Plus, thanks in advance to anyone that will answer my questions; sorry to be such a pest.

No pest at all Paula! :D These are very valid questions.If you go to http://www.texturizer.net/firebird you can get a version with an installer, and yes, I would recommend uninstalling 0.6.1 first. What I would do is backup your profile first, and then go ahead and remove the profile as well. You can try leaving the profile and installing the new one, but it may not work. With T-bird, you will want to remove the program directory, but your profile will be fine. This way you won't lose any of your emails or settings. :)Profile locations:Win9x/ME: C:\Windows\Application Data\phoenix\profiles\default\xxxxxx.slt (xxxxxx is random string of characters)Win2k/XP: C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\phoenix\profiles\default\xxxxxx.sltTbird's location is the same except replace phoenix with thunderbird.Just copy and paste the xxxxxx.slt folder to a different location before you run the uninstaller. You can try leaving the profile installed and seeing if 0.7 will work. If it does, you're all done! If not, go in and delete the default folder (since you have a backup). Don't forget to check your task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) to see if the firebird program is still running (if it doesn't work normally).Startup Firebird again and it should work (but won't have any settings). Close it, and go back to the profile location and open the xxxxxx.slt folder. Open up your backup and paste back the files from one .slt folder to the other. You should then have all your settings back! If you have any questions, let me know, as this may not make a ton of sense. I typed this quickly while on break at work, so let me know if it doesn't make sense. :D Good luck!

Thank you, Amie, for the location :) Thank you very much, Ryan, for all the detailed instrx. It looks like GREAT information and I'm glad to have asked. Going to lunch now and then come back and have fun experiencing new versions of Firebird and Thunderbird. Can't wait!!! :thumbsup:

Installations of both Firebird and Thunderbird went smoothly. Although I had backed up my profile, I didn't need it. The installers and your instrx made this very easy. However, am still receiving the error message when I try to open Thunderbird in Firebird. The message is:ALERT[Exception..."Component returned failure code:0X80004005 (ns_Error_Failure)(nsITransferable.get transfer TransferData)" nsresult: "0X80004005 (ns_error_failure) location""JS Frame::chrome://externalapp/content/externalapp/js :: anonymous :: line74" data:no] Would really like to have them integrated, but that may not work for me. Am still excited about the new versions.Thanks again!

Thanks, Ryan, so far so good. Looks like my external app buttons was a very old version. Amazing how much faster both Firebird and Thunderbird are!