Darwin on x86?

LLfan

Ok, I've read quite a bit and now know little more about the project then I had before. http://developer.apple.com/darwin/My question is: Can I get this working on my x86 machine?Based on this:

Q. I heard that Darwin runs on Intel processor-based PCs. Is that true?A. Yes, and we're partnering with the Darwin developer community to enhance support for this platform.
And other sources I've now lost, it would seem it's possible. Has anyone done or heard of this being done? It's a dream come true for me, I love the MacOSX GUI.Thanks,Mike

And other sources I've now lost, it would seem it's possible.  Has anyone done or heard of this being done?  It's a dream come true for me, I love the MacOSX GUI.Thanks,Mike
It should work Mike. However, you won't get the Aqua GUI since that's proprietary Apple code that has not been open sourced.

Hi MikeShall I move this to the All Things Mac forum ? <_< Bruno
No. My logic was that this is a BSD based OS and you 'lot' would know more about it. =)Peachy--are you sure about it? That's a shame since I love it and every theme that people have tried fall well short.Ah well, my SuSE/XP Pro machine will have to do.

No.  My logic was that this is a BSD based OS and you 'lot' would know more about it. =)
Okay Mike ! ;)<_< Bruno

No.  My logic was that this is a BSD based OS and you 'lot' would know more about it. =)
Okay Mike ! ;)<_< Bruno
Long time no see, glad you are still around...maybe I can get my SuSE/Kernel problem finally fixed. =)

I was there all the time Mike . . . it was you that was absent for a long time :D :DAs for SUSE . . .did you try a reinstall ? <_< Kernel upgrades can be tricky in SUSE B) ( It does not handle it as nice as Drake :D )B) Bruno

That's right, I get the two of us confused sometimes since we're both so dashing and brilliant. <_< I did do a re-install, but I really want that new kernel so tried it again and same problem...no support for the eth0 so not net access. Everything else worked but that eth0 and eth1 failed everytime. You will be happy to know I did get the nvidia set right each time on my own. :D Anyways, I'll start a new thread if I dare to do it again. B)

That's right, I get the two of us confused sometimes since we're both so dashing and brilliant.  :)
Don't give Bruno ideas! You are easy to tell apart. You ask the questions and he gives the answers!Julia :)

Arena2045

I will verify Peachy's comment... The Mac OS X GUI ("Aqua") is Apple's proprietary code and is not open-source...

I got and installed Darwin on a spare PII350 I had, and I can verify that it does not contain the MAC GUI - I thought it might too when I downloaded it :(No Probs though - PCLOS is all I need! ;)Chris.

linuxdude32
As for SUSE . . .did you try a reinstall ? :D Kernel upgrades can be tricky in SUSE :) ( It does not handle it as nice as Drake :) )
Really? I've had the kernel upgrades go so easily, I didn't even know they had been upgraded until Win4Lin didn't work. ;) SuSE Watcher downloaded, upgraded them in the background and I had a new kernel the next boot.