Gnome Equivalent of Ksnapshot?

BillD

I just discovered that the gnome version of PCLinuxOS does not have Ksnapshot available in the repositories. Ubuntu still does . . .My question tho: Is there a gnome equivalent of Ksnapshot?Thank you,Bill

securitybreach

Its in the Menu under Graphics and called "Take Screenshot". The actual command is:

gnome-screenshot --interactive

or just

gnome-screenshot

to immediately snap a shot.

Well, with Ksnapshot, one can select just a portion of the screen by "drawing" a rectangular box on the screen with the mouse and then saving that as the screen shot. That is what I want to do with some Gnome app . . if there is such a deal, and for some reason it seems to me I have seen something about that in the past, only then of course I did not pay much attention because that was not of immediate interest then.Thank you,Bill

amenditman

KDE and Gnome apps are completely compatible.Why not add the repos for KDE in your distro and install the app you want?For example, I use KDE. Can't stand the KDE Partition Manager, have had numerous failures with it.I always install and use GParted, the Gnome Partition Manager, it is nearly flawless and works for me.Why worry about having both available? It's free software, you're supposed to use what YOU want.

Edited by amenditman

securitybreach
KDE and Gnome apps are completely compatible.Why not add the repos for KDE in your distro and install the app you want?For example, I use KDE. Can't stand the KDE Partition Manager, have had numerous failures with it.I always install and use GParted, the Gnome Partition Manager, it is nearly flawless and works for me.Why worry about having both available? It's free software, you're supposed to use what YOU want.
You got a point there, I was just pointing out the Gnome application for this. :thumbsdown:

cybormoron

i installed ksnapshot on my mandriva gnome but i'm not happy with it. the kde4 version doesn't work the same as kde3 did.the gnome screenshot tool does all that ksnapshot does but it only saves in png format. there is an option to select an area on mine.they're both lacking as compared to the kde3 ksnapshot, imho.

Well, with Ksnapshot, one can select just a portion of the screen by "drawing" a rectangular box on the screen with the mouse and then saving that as the screen shot. That is what I want to do with some Gnome app . .
The latest version (the one that comes with Ubuntu "Lucid" etc.) of Gnome-screenshot does have that option.kuvakaappausotakuvakaap.pngIf PCLos uses an older version... hmm... is Shutter in PCLos repos?http://shutter-project.org/ :thumbsdown:

Thank you Urmas. Yes PCLos has shutter in the repos which I installed and altho it is slightly more work to use, it seem to do effectively the same things as Ksnapshot. Great; thank you!Bill

Edited by BillD