Setup freezes !!!

reza

In fact, this is my colleague problem. One day he brought his case to me an said me to change the Windows 2000. :w00t: Because the Windows had many problems, I decided to format the partition and reinstall Windows. :w00tx100: Every thing went well, but when the setup was installing the components, it did not go forward and freezed. I changed the installation CD but again that problem accured. So I decided to install Win XP, but again when the setup was installing the devices that problem accured. Please help me. Thanx. :'(

Hmmm...interestingly enough, I had a similar problem with Windows 98 and XP setups freezing on me. What are the specs on this machine? (CPU, RAM, HDD capacity, etc.).I might be able to actually get inside that PC today - I'll let you know if I fix the problem :w00tx100:

I had similar problem when I upgraded my Windows 98 box to Windows XP. My problem was that I had an incompatible PCI modem installed. The real problem wasn't that the modem wasn't recognized by XP, it was that XP installation gave absolutely NO indication what was wrong -- it just froze.It was only after I re-formatted my hard-disk and attempted to reinstall 98 using my recovery disks that I figured it out. It too had problems with the modem, but this time it let me know. I had to pull the modem out to get the install to work.The original modem that came with the computer had died and I had installed a Hayes modem. Being that it was 2 years later and I had upgraded to a DSL/ethernet connection, I had completely forgotten about this modem.Check if he's got hardware in there that XP doesn't recognize. Back during the release of XP, there were a lot of tables on the internet listing incompatible devices. Maybe you can compare one of those tables to the hardware inside the box.

James M. Fisher

Usually install problems can be traced to a hardware conflict of some sort and stripping out as much hardware as possible to get Windows installed often solves the problem.

My recommendation is to pull any PCI cards that aren't absolutely necessary. You don't need network/modem/sound to do the install, so remove the cards for the install, and then reinstall them when you're done. I have to do this with my NIC every time i do a fresh install.BTW... XP isn't going to run well (if at all) on that machine... there's nowhere near enough RAM

OkCPU: Pentium IIIRAM: 64Hard: 40and Thanx
Awk! I'm not at all surpirsed that WinXP didn't install. That machine is far too old to run WinXP properly. At the very least, the RAM will need to be upgraded to 256 MB.Anyway, about that machine I was having problems with. The hard drive was the culprit. I replaced it, and Win98 installed very nicely.