Enhancing Arch Linux Stability

securitybreach

securitybreach

I just ran across this wiki entry and thought I would share:

The purpose of this wiki article is to provide tips on how to make an Arch Linux system as stable as possible. While Arch Developers and Trusted Users work hard to produce high quality packages, given Arch's rolling release system and rapid package turnover, an Arch system may not be suitable for a mission critical, commercial production environment.

However, Arch is inherently stable due to its commitment to simplicity in configuration, coupled with a rapid bug-report/bug-fix cycle, and the use of unpatched upstream source code. Thus, by following the advice below on setting up and maintaining Arch, the user should be able enjoy a very stable system. Furthermore, advice is included that will ease system repair in the event of a major malfunction.

How stable can Arch Linux really be? There are numerous reports in the Arch forums of skilled system administrators successfully using Arch for production servers. Archlinux.org is one such example. On the desktop, a properly configured and maintained Arch installation can offer excellent stability........

https://wiki.archlin...Linux_Stability

securitybreach

If you want enhance Arch's stability, stop updating it. ;)

And never update it again as you will break it if you wait too long. Also, disconnect your network cable as you will end up with an eventual security hole as you never received an update. This is true for pretty much any version of Linux, not just rolling distros. ;).

BTW I find Arch to be extremely stable unlike a lot of distros ;) B)

Systemd Automation

You can configure systemd to backup the pacman database everytime a new package is installed or updated, save and run the following scripts. See here.

That is a neat little section in your excellent find. :shifty:

Thanks for this Josh,

In reading that wiki, I just learned A LOT of stuff that I probably SHOULD have known already but did not. Pacmatic who knew?? I did'nt :hysterical:

• Like 1

I just ran across this wiki entry and thought I would share:

[/size][/color]

https://wiki.archlin...Linux_Stability

Man, you seriously need to get out more.

That page has been linked from one the pages linked to by the installer forever.

You are THE Arch guru around here, I was sure you had seen it.

Beginner's Guide > General Recommendations > System Maintenance > Enhancing Arch Linux Stability