• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Recent Posts

• securitybreach
      Gotcha, I misunderstood what you meant
    • Hedon James
      No doubt.  But I was referring to the folks who evangelized that SecureBoot was a nefarious MS plot to eliminate Linux installations on all hardware, moving forward.  Of course, that was exactly the point of SecureBoot....prevent booting of "unauthorized" software.  But they didn't anticipate the workarounds (shim?!) the Linux community often develops.  Necessity is the mother of invention.  And when you think about it, that is the entire raison d'etre for the entire Linux ecosystem.   "If there's a problem, yo...I'll solve it!"  LOL!
    • securitybreach
      Secure works on quite a few distros, I just never felt a need to use it.    
    • Hedon James
      Well technically, they were right.  If SecureBoot were enacted, and that was the ONLY variable in the equation, it would've ended Linux on all computers from that moment in time and forward.  Problem is that it was NOT the only variable.   I have a minor in Economics from Penn State and took a GeoScience class for a Science/Humanities requirement and that GeoSci professor gave the best economics lesson I learned....better than my actual econ classes!  We were discussing the limitations of natural resources, given their finite quantities.  The discussion shifted to the rising price of gasoline and how society would run out of gas; the decreasing supply of gas was the reason for rising gas prices (this was the late '80s).  His contribution to the discussion FLOORED me....he stated that prices were indeed reflective of supply AT THE CURRENT PRICE; but as the price increased, it would become cost-effective for more expensive technologies to extract more of the resource, thereby increasing supply.   His point was well received by me.  There are often other variables involved than the ONE you are considering.  And just when you think you've got it figured out that rising prices unlocks more of the untapped supply, you've got to remember that it took millions or even billions of years for mother earth to create some of these resources, and we are consuming them at an exponentially greater rate than they're being replenished (IF they even are?!).  So at some point, you're no longer unlocking untapped supply, but actually depleting the very last of that resource for millions or billions of years, perhaps even forever.   I've digressed, but apparently we do that here.  To circle back....just lending some support and empirical evidence to SBs statement!  LOL!
    • securitybreach
      Linus Torvalds on the state of Linux today and how AI figures in its future
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• FelipeDaw
    • Pete!
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Basher52
    Newest Member
    Basher52