Post Webhost-Transition Glitches

Scot

Over the last few days we've had some issues with occasional MySQL errors and performance slow-downs. There have also been some minor issues here and there with the forums and with the Scot's Newsletter site that I've fixed. And just in advance of the forums changeover to the new host, our MySQL database developed a mild cold. Plus I have several times had to close the forums down for 15 minutes at a time over the last few days to perform minor fixes or backups.I believe that all these things are temporary. First, Lilbambi and I (mostly her) diagnosed the MySQL database, performed very mild outpatient surgery, and it seems to be working great now.The MySQL errors some of us have seen sound ominous, but they have not damaged our database at all, and our new Webhost has committed to adding a second MySQL database server to help cut down on the load. That should help enormously. In every case that I've chased down so far, it was simply that our webhost's shared MySQL server was so busy it wasn't responding to the web server we're hosted on. The forums need both servers operating at full capacity to operate well.The other problems have all been minor, and they haven't been hard to fix. For example, uploading of avatars was broken for a few days. That should be fixed now.If you have any sort of a problem in performance or see an error message, please post about our experiences here. My thanks to everyone who has posted so far; those posts -- especially copying and pasting the error messages -- have been hugely helpful.I think we're coming out of our shake-down cruise right now and things will get easier. But let's stay vigilant.Thanks for your help, and patience.-- Scot

Guest LilBambi

Working great now. It it does seem to be fluctuating. Was working great for awhile after the changes we made, then went very slow for a bit, now it's back to being fast again.Hopefully the host company will have their issues fixed very shortly.We did our part. Now we wait to see if their upgrades will make the difference.

About the MySQL error Marsden reported (thank you), that's the standard error that we're seeing. What it basically means is that the MySQL server is "bombed" and can't respond at the moment. The messages sounds more ominous than it actually is.I had a message from IX overnight that they still have not added new MySQL capacity but that they are at work on it. I have an open ticket. So while we've performed some steps -- including disabling the RSS feeds at least temporarily -- to help cut down on Web server calls, there's nothing we can do to help the MySQL server other than to make sure our database is lean and mean. And it is. It has actually dropped about 40MB in size over the last week (in empty space, mostly) from maintenance chores.So we're watching and waiting. I'm not seeing the performance problems that we were seeing before. In fact, it seems faster to me than it has in a long while.But if you have a different experience -- even if you can't show an error message -- please post it here. Thanks.-- Scot