Connect to Android via Bluetooth

Hedon James

I've been connecting to my Android phone (Motorola Photon using Android v.4.1.2) from my Ubuntu 12.04.4 desktop, via bluetooth applet, for years without issue. Simply pull down the applet menu, click on my Motorola Photon pairing, and either "browse" or "send" files to the device using Nautilus file browser.

But yesterday I purchased a brand new Samsung Galaxy Note4 (Android v.4.4.4) to replace the older Motorola. I've gotten the device paired successfully, and I can send files to the Note4, but there is no obvious ability (nor entry in the bluetooth applet) to "browse" device. I've deleted the device, re-added device, cruised forums for solutions, but no success yet. I have downloaded Blueman to Ubuntu, but no change in result. I have installed various programs, which include but may not be limited to bluez, bluez-utils, obex, obexftp, and others, but still no satisfaction with browsing the device.

In the meantime, I have fallen back on old workarounds, including installation of Bluetooth Files on the Note4 to "push" to the Ubuntu desktop. I have also installed AirDroid to the Note4, which is kind of a neat way to manage the Note4 from a desktop browser interface. While these solutions "work", they are not as elegant and quick as the Ubuntu/Motorola bluetooth setup. Using Bluetooth Files on the Note4 "pushes" the selected files to the Ubuntu Downloads folder, where I must then cut/paste into the appropriate directory. Using AirDroid to "download" files from the Note4 to Ubuntu desktop allows me to place the files where I want them, but they download as a *.zip archive, which must then be extracted, and which must have their permissions modified to "unlock" them.

I'd like to duplicate my old Motorola setup: choose the Note4 entry from bluetooth pairings; "browse" the device which shows up mounted inside Nautilus; navigate the folder structure for my desired pics, *.dwg files, etc...; copy/cut/paste into my local directory structure; and unmount the device when completed. Has anyone else been successful in setting up the Samsung Galaxy Note4 in this manner? The Note4 is pretty new, but the Note3 was a very popular device. Since I hadn't previously changed anything on the Ubuntu side (before pairing the Note4), I'm inclined to believe this is on the Note4/Android side. If correct, that would narrow my focus to differences between Android 4.1.2 and Android 4.4.4; OR differences between Motorola vs. Samsung hardware. If hardware comes into play, perhaps it's possible that my 3.5.0-49-generic kernel wouldn't recognize the Note4, having been released in late Sept/early Oct 2014?

In the absence of anyone having successfully setup the desired bluetooth connection as I have described, does anyone have any thoughts on where to look next? My brain is jellified and I've wasted way too many man hours trying to duplicate my previous arrangement. Thanks in advance!

securitybreach

Did you try bluetooth-browse? It should be in the Ubuntu repos?

I am running 4.4.4 on my Nexus 4 and bluetooth-browse works for me.

I have not tried bluetooth-browse. I can't find it in the Software Center; nor is it showing up with an "apt-cache search bluetooth" query. Are you running Ubuntu 12.04.4? Or something newer? Or perhaps it's a PPA file?

I checked out the manpage for "bluetooth-browse" and the manpage says it is part of the "bluez-gnome" package. But when I try to install the "bluez-gnome" package, via terminal, I get this:

Package bluez-gnome is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'bluez-gnome' has no installation candidate

The manpage also links to the Bluez website, where it appears that Bluez 5.2(?) was released in early October 2014. Perhaps this is what changed on my Ubuntu 12.04.04 between pairing my Motorola successfully in 2012-ish, and failing with my Samsung this week? While binaries are available for download, I'm not sure I want to get into binaries, as I think the bluetooth stack is very common software, with very common protocols, which SHOULD be already available in a pre-compiled fashion for most distros, especially major distros like Ubuntu. But what has replaced the "obsoleted" package? However, I do note references to kernel modules and suggesting the most recent version of kernels. Which version of Ubuntu are you running? And what kernel?

Edited by Hedon James

Oops, sorry, my bad! Someone else on here runs Ubuntu, like I do, but I can't remember who... And since he tends to show up in the same threads as me, perhaps he'll make an appearance?! Thanks anyhow SB!

securitybreach

Did you get the package installed though?

I didn't say I couldn't help, I was just pointing out that I do not run Ubuntu....

No I did not get bluetooth-browse installed. According to the Ubuntu manpage & Wiki, it is part of the bluez-gnome package, which is now obsoleted in Ubuntu. Not sure where to look next, but I'm listening! Also FYI, as a matter of reference, I think we can cross version of Ubuntu and/or kernel version from the potential list of culprits. I attempted to connect my Note4 to my laptop, running Ubuntu 14.04.1 and kernel 3.13.0-39-generic, but with the same results. I can send to the Note4, but cannot "browse" with my file manager...no different than Ubuntu 12.04.4 and kernel 3.5.0-49-generic.

IF it's a kernel issue, I imagine that a kernel from Sept/Oct 2014 would be the likely solution, perhaps 3.16.x? But I'm still thinking it's an issue with a change in the bluetooth stack and how it interacts with Android 4.4.4. FWIW, googling would seem to suggest that Android 4.4.4 is kinda buggy with bluetooth. So I'm guessing that the Ubuntu bluetooth stack and the Android bluetooth stack aren't synchronizing in some important way. Just a guess...

What are your thoughts SB?

securitybreach

Honestly I would have to look into it more but I have to leave for work in about 5 minutes. I will be off around 2200cdt but I will look into this further when I get off man.

I will try my best to find a solution for you and I am pretty good at researching so do not give up yet.

Well, the good news is that I have a viable workaround to make it usable in my daily workflow. It's not ideal, but it's workable. As long as I have workable, I can patiently pursue ideal. Thanks in advance. I appreciate whatever you can bring to the table!

FWIW, here's how I see it:

- Ubuntu 12.04.4 and bluetooth send/browse was working ideal with Motorola Photon and Android 4.1.2; in fact, it STILL works fine!

- I've read that the bluetooth stack was recently upgraded to v.5(?), but not sure if that was backported to Ubuntu 12.04

- I've read that Android 4.4.4 bluetooth is somewhat buggy; lots of instances of Samsung issues, but may be due to popularity of Samsung, as opposed to specific to Samsung

- the Note4 has been newly released within the past 30 days, so maybe it's "too new" to work properly with Linux. I've often said the "sweet spot" for Linux hardware is at least 1 generation prior, but not so old that drivers are no longer maintainted. I broke my own rule by buying the latest & greatest!

So in between the new bluetooth stack, the new hardware, and the newer version of Android, I can't seem to isolate any variables. Furthermore, I fully expect the Note4 to be upgraded to Android 5.0 in the very near future. The Note3 had Android 4.4.4 and I can't imagine the next generation of Note4 will continue to use the same OS as its older predecessor, especially with 5.0 being available and Samsung having such a large market share.

FWIW...

Edited by Hedon James

I've only streamed music via bluetooth from my G3 so can't help you there.

But using DroidOverWifi is better than Airdroid for file transfers, none of that jumping through hoops to get the .zip file opened.

Well, the good news is that I have a viable workaround to make it usable in my daily workflow. It's not ideal, but it's workable. As long as I have workable, I can patiently pursue ideal. Thanks in advance. I appreciate whatever you can bring to the table!

FWIW, here's how I see it:

- Ubuntu 12.04.4 and bluetooth send/browse was working ideal with Motorola Photon and Android 4.1.2; in fact, it STILL works fine!

- I've read that the bluetooth stack was recently upgraded to v.5(?), but not sure if that was backported to Ubuntu 12.04

- I've read that Android 4.4.4 bluetooth is somewhat buggy; lots of instances of Samsung issues, but may be due to popularity of Samsung, as opposed to specific to Samsung

- the Note4 has been newly released within the past 30 days, so maybe it's "too new" to work properly with Linux. I've often said the "sweet spot" for Linux hardware is at least 1 generation prior, but not so old that drivers are no longer maintainted. I broke my own rule by buying the latest & greatest!

So in between the new bluetooth stack, the new hardware, and the newer version of Android, I can't seem to isolate any variables. Furthermore, I fully expect the Note4 to be upgraded to Android 5.0 in the very near future. The Note3 had Android 4.4.4 and I can't imagine the next generation of Note4 will continue to use the same OS as its older predecessor, especially with 5.0 being available and Samsung having such a large market share.

FWIW...

Just tried with my Note 10.1(2014) and got the same results. It will send files from the Note to my Mint 17 box but not from Mint 17.

I've always used Wifi Transfer Pro so have never tried via Bluetooth. Wifi TP not only sends and receives files but also lets you "manage" the files on the Android device. It cost about $5 for the pro version but you can then put it on multiple devices.

Edited by lewmur

Just tried with my Note 10.1(2014) and got the same results. It will send files from the Note to my Mint 17 box but not from Mint 17.

I've always used Wifi Transfer Pro so have never tried via Bluetooth. Wifi TP not only sends and receives files but also lets you "manage" the files on the Android device. It cost about $5 for the pro version but you can then put it on multiple devices.

A minor clarification, which may be important in the solution process, is that I am able to "send" files TO my Note4 from my Ubuntu desktop via Bluetooth. I cannot "browse" my Note4 FROM Ubuntu desktop, which obviously precludes copy/cut/paste functions from within Nautilus. Something has changed with the bluetooth mount/automount function, and possibly also the obexftp protocols; but without an automount of the device, I can't really comment on obexftp. Conversely, Bluetooth File Transfer on the Note4 seems to work exactly as I remember it, so perhaps obexftp is just fine. Perhaps it's just an automount issue?

I've only streamed music via bluetooth from my G3 so can't help you there.

But using DroidOverWifi is better than Airdroid for file transfers, none of that jumping through hoops to get the .zip file opened.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check out DroidOverWifi! I kind of like the AirDroid concept of remote device management, but file management is indeed cumbersome. AirDroid without *.zip files/permission issues would certainly be welcomed! I've also heard that Wifi is a faster protocol than Bluetooth, so Wifi would be preferred if true. Can anyone confirm the speed rumors?

I've been using Bluetooth because Androids don't show up while browsing the Samba Network, despite being connected to the Wifi network. Bluetooth was how I learned to manage the device, and it worked just fine until this week. If I can't duplicate my Bluetooth workflow, I'd like to find a BETTER way! Just like 2009 when I grew weary of constantly maintaining/troubleshooting Windows OS and I found that Linux is a BETTER way!!!

DroidOverWifi (DOW) does indeed allow file transfer of individual and/or multiple files with original extensions, or as *.zip file if chosen. However, it defaults to the Download directory of my Ubuntu desktop; I cannot choose a preferred directory. I suppose I could change my browser setting to choose a download directory each time (currently defaulted to "Download" directory), but that would interfere with my paying job workflow. My job requires aggregation of numerous information sources, which are often downloaded for assimilation into narrative reports and it's much easier to take inventory of what's available & what's missing by simply looking in the Downloads directory.

Conversely, while internet downloads are background/supporting information, any information on my Android will be property/location specific, and I'd prefer to immediately download to specific location folders on my desktop. It's the best way I know to take a quick visual inventory of what specific information has been gathered/missing (in specific folders on my desktop), and what background/supporting information has been gathered/missing (in Download folder on desktop).

I appreciate the extra knowledge, but this is just squeezing the bubble back and forth. :bangin:

In the absence of re-working my entire workflow, I'm looking for the ability to BROWSE my Android device (Both AirDroid and DOW seem to address this issue; while Bluetooth browsing is currently broken) and to download selected files from Android to Ubuntu desktop. AirDroid allows download to specific directory, but in *.zip format; DOW allows download of original file format, but only to Download folder; Bluetooth File Transfer (push from Android to Ubuntu) will download to Download folder (same as DOW, but bluetooth protocol vs. wifi protocol); while Bluetooth Applet browse/download from Ubuntu desktop is currently broken.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to browse my Note4 from Nautilus (bluetooth or wifi doesn't matter, as long as it WORKS!), cut/copy select files from the Note4, and paste into Ubuntu desktop folder of my choice. This is the most efficient workflow for me. It is WIRELESS; it eliminates extraction of files from *.zip archives; it eliminates permission issues; it eliminates a 2nd file transfer to a final folder destination.

But like I said before, I do have older workarounds; they're a PITA at this point, having been spoiled by success, but at least I have the workarounds. Until I learn what the "Ideal" solution is...

Edited by Hedon James

This seems to be the closest I've come to identifying the problem, although still no solution. I found this bug report, with post #33 looking like a viable solution for me:

https://bugs.launchp...th/ bug/1148033

I can live with a bookmarked location to browse/copy/send files to Note4, so this seemed like an "a-ha" moment for me. However, this is the Screenshot result of that effort:

http://imgur.com/6YELSXx

6YELSXx.png

I specifically note the message "service not supported on remote device", which would seem to confirm either Android 4.4.4 or Samsung hardware as a source of the issue. Also note the lack of a "browse" button in the screenshot, which SHOULD be directly above the "send" button. For contrast, I repeated the same procedure to create a Nautilus bookmark for the successfully connected Motorola Photon (Android 4.1.2). Here is the Screenshot of that effort:

http://imgur.com/NWGlmBU

NWGlmBU.png

Are these screenshots helpful in illustrating what I perceive the problem to be? Note the Bookmark entry for "Photon", allowing for the browsing of that location as if it were local. This is the same result I see by browsing the Photon via Bluetooth applet. Apparently, Nautilus>Go>Location>obex://device.mac.address/ is the same thing as BluetoothApplet>Device Name>Browse files?! THIS IS WHAT I WANT!!!!

So, my conclusion is that the Note4 doesn't support obex bluetooth protocol, which effects the ability to browse via Nautilus and Bluetooth Applet both. Would you agree SB? And even if you do agree, what is the solution? :shrug:

Edited by Hedon James

And I've learned that "sdptool browse devicemac" will scan the referenced device for installed bluetooth tools. Here are the results of this command, but this is way over my head now:

jim@Asus:~$ sdptool browse C4:42:02:1B:E3:5B
Browsing C4:42:02:1B:E3:5B ...
Service RecHandle: 0x10000
Service Class ID List:
 "Generic Attribute" (0x1801)
Protocol Descriptor List:
 "L2CAP" (0x0100)
   PSM: 31
 "ATT" (0x0007)
   uint16: 0x1
   uint16: 0x5

Service RecHandle: 0x10001
Service Class ID List:
 "" (0x1800)
 "L2CAP" (0x0100)
   PSM: 31
 "ATT" (0x0007)
   uint16: 0x14
   uint16: 0x1e

Service Name: Headset Gateway
Service RecHandle: 0x10009
Service Class ID List:
 "Headset Audio Gateway" (0x1112)
 "Generic Audio" (0x1203)
 "L2CAP" (0x0100)
 "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
   Channel: 2
Profile Descriptor List:
 "Headset" (0x1108)
   Version: 0x0102

Service Name: Handsfree Gateway
Service RecHandle: 0x1000a
Service Class ID List:
 "Handsfree Audio Gateway" (0x111f)
 "Generic Audio" (0x1203)
 "L2CAP" (0x0100)
 "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
   Channel: 3
Profile Descriptor List:
 "Handsfree" (0x111e)
   Version: 0x0106

Service Name: AV Remote Control Target
Service RecHandle: 0x1000b
Service Class ID List:
 "AV Remote Target" (0x110c)
 "L2CAP" (0x0100)
   PSM: 23
 "AVCTP" (0x0017)
   uint16: 0x104
Profile Descriptor List:
 "AV Remote" (0x110e)
   Version: 0x0105

Service Name: Advanced Audio
Service RecHandle: 0x1000c
Service Class ID List:
 "Audio Source" (0x110a)
 "L2CAP" (0x0100)
   PSM: 25
 "AVDTP" (0x0019)
   uint16: 0x102
Profile Descriptor List:
 "Advanced Audio" (0x110d)
   Version: 0x0102

Service Name: Android Network Access Point
Service Description: NAP
Service RecHandle: 0x1000d
Service Class ID List:
 "Network Access Point" (0x1116)
 "L2CAP" (0x0100)
   PSM: 15
 "BNEP" (0x000f)
   Version: 0x0100
   SEQ8: 0 6
Language Base Attr List:
 code_ISO639: 0x656e
 encoding:    0x6a
 base_offset: 0x100
Profile Descriptor List:
 "Network Access Point" (0x1116)

Service Name: Android Network User
Service Description: PANU
Service RecHandle: 0x1000e
Service Class ID List:
 "PAN User" (0x1115)
 "L2CAP" (0x0100)
   PSM: 15
 "BNEP" (0x000f)
   SEQ8: 0 6
Language Base Attr List:
 code_ISO639: 0x656e
 encoding:    0x6a
 base_offset: 0x100
Profile Descriptor List:
 "PAN User" (0x1115)

Service Name: OBEX Phonebook Access Server
Service RecHandle: 0x10010
Service Class ID List:
 "Phonebook Access - PSE" (0x112f)
 "L2CAP" (0x0100)
 "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
   Channel: 19
 "OBEX" (0x0008)
Profile Descriptor List:
 "Phonebook Access" (0x1130)
   Version: 0x0101

Service Name: SMS Message Access
Service RecHandle: 0x10012
Service Class ID List:
 "" (0x1132)
 "L2CAP" (0x0100)
 "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
   Channel: 5
 "OBEX" (0x0008)
Profile Descriptor List:
 "" (0x1134)

Service Name: OBEX Object Push
Service RecHandle: 0x10017
Service Class ID List:
 "OBEX Object Push" (0x1105)
 "L2CAP" (0x0100)
 "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
   Channel: 12
 "OBEX" (0x0008)
Profile Descriptor List:
 "OBEX Object Push" (0x1105)

Service Name: Email Message Access
Service RecHandle: 0x10018
Service Class ID List:
 "" (0x1132)
 "L2CAP" (0x0100)
 "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
   Channel: 4
 "OBEX" (0x0008)
Profile Descriptor List:
 "" (0x1134)

jim@Asus:~$ 

• Like 1

I GOT IT!!!!

After having settled on AirDroid and/or Droid Over Wifi as my new method of management for my Android created files, I decided to finish setting up my Note4 the way I like it. After installing a Bluetooth Widget and tinkering with the settings, I got a message about "other devices can connect to your device" and this rang a bell in my cob-webbed synapses. On a hunch, I removed my bluetooth pair on my Ubuntu desktop, and then re-paired the device. This time, Ubuntu finished pairing and the BROWSE button was present for my Note4!!!! So I clicked "browse" and tada...the Note4 is mounted within Nautilus and I'm able to the cruise the device file structure, just like I wanted!!!

I don't know WHY the Bluetooth widget "unlocks" or "exposes" some protocols that weren't there by default, but it does. A frustrating experience, to be sure, but certainly worthwhile! I didn't learn what I wanted to learn, but I certainly appreciate the tips and advice regarding AirDroid and Droid Over Wifi. I will continue to use those tools! And I like having alternatives...you know...just in case! I'm now able to connect via bluetooth, wifi, and the trusty old usb cable, as appropriate. THANK YOU!

I heard somewhere that "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you came for." I'm certainly more "experienced"! :whistling:

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Oh, yeah, just like any other 'network' connection, if something changes, remove the connection and start again.

But who would have thought about that with Bluetooth...but new stuff might be handling it differently. So good thought!

Great job!