Using a Raspberry Pi to live stream

wa4chq

wa4chq

Hey all.  A few years back, I set up a spare RPi to live stream.  I put it in a small, mostly weather proof box and placed it on a block of wood over by some trees where I put out bird seed.  Instead of using a battery pack, I ran an extension cord over to it to provide power. After booting up, I'd open up a browser, type in the IP address and then watch the action live.  Long story short, I reused the pi and micro sd card for something else but today I decided to try it again.  I didn't find the original article I had read but I did find one that showed how to do the same thing.  I'm using a Raspberry Pi2b, Raspberry Pi lite OS, a wifi dongle and a RPi camera module.  Here's the article: Raspberry Pi: MJPEG Streaming Web Server  and if I wanna capture any part of the stream, I use SimpleScreenRecorder.

• +1 1

abarbarian

Neat . Just looked at my ZIM notes and see that I was looking into setting up a home surveillance using a PI and Diet Pi back in 2018 to use a Pi camera I bought in 2014. 🤣

You have inspired me to have another go.

I use,

gpu-screen-recorder-gtk

based on

gpu-screen-recorder

as it uses the gpu not the cpu for this reason.

Performance

On a system with a i5 4690k CPU and a GTX 1080 GPU:
When recording Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild at 4k, fps drops from 30 to 7 when using OBS Studio + nvenc, however when using this screen recorder the fps remains at 30.
When recording GTA V at 4k on highest settings, fps drops from 60 to 23 when using obs-nvfbc + nvenc, however when using this screen recorder the fps only drops to 58. The quality is also much better when using gpu screen recorder.

😎

• Like 1

wa4chq

Cool!  Glad you are considering giving it another shot.  I've got mine setup on the front porch looking towards the birds.  With the same RPi, I'm using it for time-lapse photography.  Here's the link for the one I'm getting ideas from.  I'm pasting his commands to the cli but making adjustments to suit my needs....still tweaking. 

wa4chq
Posted (edited)

Here is a time-lapse test I just did.  I had it set to take a shot every 3 seconds and just let it run...stopping it after about 42 seconds.   If the camera was closer to the birds, it'd look better. 

Edited by wa4chq

wa4chq
Posted (edited)

Here is a screen capture with the RPi2b.  I've moved it over where I normally put bird seed out.  I need to fiddle with the camera settings to see if I can get the image quality better.  It's an old cam module so maybe it's only so good.

Edited by wa4chq

securitybreach

Its 480p but still clear enough to watch.

• Agree 1